No announcement yet.

New Welding Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am pretty self taught welder too... I have welded with stick, Mig, flux core with no gas(next door neighbor 110 machine)... and flux core with gas(high amp in a rail car plant) Here is a warning no one gave ... welding produces UV rays... low amp isint too bad... but prolonged exposer to bare skin produces a nice "sun" burn. The high amp stuff will do it within about 20 min.. BTDT...

Never put a rod in the whip bare handed while sweating profusely and sitting on a steel beam.... that was a tingle between the legs I DID NOT like...lmao
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Learning to weld

Thanks everybody,

For the words of encouragement and tips. Yes, the manual spoke very strongly about the UV rays exposure and proper protective clothing, the EPA must be doing something right!?

The Lincoln Electric unit I got was about $437.00 + tax. Got it at the local LOWES. I had priced them on the NET on EBAY, around $425.00 with free shipping from midwest, Chicago or thereabouts, but I wanted it right then!!!! They sell a cheaper unit with a lower power rating and it doesn't come with the regulator or hoses for MIG/shield gas work, but you're supposed to be able to get an adapter/accessory kit to be able to do the MIG type vs. the Flux Core. I got the more expensive one to be able to handle the thicker materials, and to get the gas adaptor kit!

It has 4 power/volt settings and is supposed to be able to handle stainless as well as mild steel up to 5/16". The flux core wire requires a stronger setting and so it's not designed to be used with the very thin stuff, you should use the solid core wire with the gas bottle for the lower power settings for thin plate.

I did some practice with the Flux core with 12ga/2.5mm thick plate, and the recommended setting was for the highest voltage "D" and 3 for the wire speed. I did several passes but seemed to be getting a lot of splatter and such. I finally turned it down to the "C" setting and it worked much better. The flux core stuff I believe will create more splatter than the solid core, but I didn't have a bottle of gas yet!! Here's a few shots. This first shows the 6 passes I made, the last one with the lower power setting is the upper left.

This shot shows the back side, and you can see where the higher power setting caused some bubbling as I got "too" much penetration!

And finally, a simple buttjoint I tried, not too bad, just have to get that GRINDER!!

I also tried a Fillet Joint, but was either moving too fast, or didn't have enough wire speed, had a few gaps in it. I was working outside in the sunshine, so I was able to visualize the work pieces fairly well with the included helmet/shield, those automatic ones are around $200.00.....I'll muddle along with this for a while.

So, Pat, if I can do this, I'm sure you can, too. Have fun.
      T.C.
      Last edited by TopCatGr58; 03-02-2004, 08:11 PM.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

A decent, inexpensive, auto darkening welding mask can be bought at Harbor Frieght.com for around $70. I bought one for home use. It works ok. The body of the helmet itself is made of pretty thin material, but it is light weight. The mask I bought for work is a $200 Selstrom model, from WW Grainger. I really like this one.
        I have the same spattering problem with my flux core welder. It doesn't have the option of adding gas at a later date. That's what I get for being frugal (cheap).

Comment

Need some practice?

Come on down!

Minor Practice Project

CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I just started dabbling with welding myself a couple months ago, when I bought a MIG/flux-core welder. I've been working with the flux-core for a while now, and I'm proud to say that I...still suck. The angle grinder is my friend!!

I'm anxious to try MIG welding to cut down the spatter, but I don't have the gas yet. Can anyone give me an estimate on the cost for the gas? I would need a smaller bottle to fit my little Wal-Mart issue Campbell-Hausfeld 110-volt machine (yes, filled with gas is good, too). Sorry, maybe my welding terminology is wrong, but "we're willing to learn!"
            Tom Hunt
            Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
            1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Comment

Got Gas?

Well, I just got my shielding gas bottle from National Welders. The 20 CuFt bottle(2,000psi) which is what they said is a very common and popular size for home hobbyists, was $80 bucks, that included being filled with gas....ARGON/Co2 combo is recommended vs. plain CO2. Then the exchange/refills are only about $20.00.

They quoted the next size up, 40 at $135.00. Another local shop quoted an 80CuFt one for the same $135.00, but I dont' have much room and don't necessarily expect I'll be doing that much welding at one time!? The small bottle will be able to fit on the Welding cart that I'll be making with the welder!!!
              HTH.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Harbor Freight has their auto darking hoods on sale for $49. Killer deal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46092
                Last edited by Dennyz; 03-19-2004, 10:47 PM.
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

wow, very cool chronicle of the boat restoration. I can't wait to see what she looks like when she is finished, would you hurry up?

Travis
                  Travis Miller
                  1978 E

Comment

My 2nd welding project!

Hey there folks,

My first project was my little welding cart, then I went on to bigger things. I wanted a trailer to haul Godzilla around on, but after looking at the premade ones at Lowes, they just didn't measure up, tiny wheels, big loading ramp with lots of wind resistance when folded up, etc.. So I decided to make my own. I first had plans similar to those prefab ones, but then got some great ideas from Ken Daniels for a simpler "A" frame design. The following pictures show what I've gotten done so far. Still need to mount the tail lights, wiring, prep and paint, weld the chains to it, but the main fabricating is done!!

I may have to add a couple more diagonals from the axle to the end of the main rail, to provide a place to put my feet when loading it!?

The shot below is washed out due to flash, but what I'm showing is the extra 1.5"x1.5"x 1/8"thick angle iron I put along the tubular stock beneath the rail and did some extra welding to reinforce the single run of weld between the tubular stock and the rail, since the tubular stock was curved, I wasn't as sure of the penetration of the weld.

That's it, just wanted to "show off" !
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

nice job on the trailer
                      Ive been thinking of building one also

my thinking was to start out with an old boat trailer and cut it down, then add the rails

when i built my lift, the toughest thing is testing it with my bike
                      i put my snowblower and some other things on it first
                      to make sure it would handle an xs11
                      i couldn't see letting it hit the ground
                      http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                      78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                      78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                      78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                      79F Parts
                      80G Parts
                      75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Trailer Finishing Up

TC, looking really good! Two more weekends of work left yet.
                        When you prep it for painting, put a good coat of primer on it before you lay on the final coat.
                        So far as loading goes, I always load mine by driving it up onto the trailer. Scary the first couple of times but after that it seems like NBD. Warm Godzilla up first. Then with the bike in gear simply stand beside it and walk it up onto the trailer. You can do it by yourself quite easily. When you hit the upright with the front tire simply stall the bike out. Shut the key off and hook up your side straps. Leave the bike in gear. I also put a strap around the front tire/wheel, securing it to the front ramp upright. Also added a webbed strap around the rear wheel/tire. Stops the bike from jumping off it's ramp or from rolling back until you are ready to unload.
                        So Godzzila is about to become a trailer "Queen!". At upcoming XS11 rallies you and the trailer will possibly become a very popular member. If someone drops one or their bike dies for some reason you just became the recovery team.
                        Your fender supports look very good. The addition of a seat to perch on while you have a beer after loading up is an added bonus.
                        Hope it serves you well for many miles. Maybe even let you get to Daytona Bike week when there is snow on the ground at home.
                        Ken/Sooke
                        78E Ratbyk
                        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Trailor's looking good! Cover the inside of those fenders though . . . keeps more stuff off the bike!

I see you even got grade 8 bolts to bolt the hitch on. Good man!

And Travis, thanks on the boat thing . . . I'm going as fast as my job and wallet allow!
                          CUAgain,
                          Daniel Meyer
                          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Nice looking rig. You've got a lot of patience welding two angles together to make a channel. I would've just bought a wide channel and be done with it.

I'm also building a trailer with my "new" welder. But mine's going to be pulled behind the bike(read: a lot smaller). I need one for mitch's rally in NB and since I don't have too much funds and I need some (lots more) practice with the welder, I decided that the build option was best(and most fun). Some pics to come as soon as the amount of work done warrants it.

Keep up the good work!!

-Justin

P.S.: Stick Welder + 1/8" thick square tubing + inexperienced operator = lots of burn through and scrap metal. I'm getting the hand of it though.

Comment

Gas

A good place to get your Co2 bottle refilled is at your local tap beer place. Cheap!
                              "BIG JOHNSON"
                              1981 XS1100SH
                              FINISHED,READY TO RIDE

Comment

Thanks Ken, Dan, Justin,

Well, since I "HAD" to add the inner skirts to the fenders, looks like it will take me a couple more weekends to get it finished!!!
                                Thanks Danny, but you're so right!! And yes, grade 8 was suggested by Ken in previous emails!!

I had to go to DMV, get appl. and VIN# and affix it to the trailer, then call the local police to come out and inspect it to ensure it had the VIN plate and was a safe looking rig, then went back to the DMV to get the Title and Plates....what a bunch of bureacracy crap!!! Plus, have had rain almost all week, hoping to clear up some time tomorrow so I can get back to welding the fender skirts. Will post a final series once it's painted and such!

Justin, hang in there! But, oh, stick welder, that's why I got a wire feeder. Am able to do that 22ga sheet stuff with lowest power setting and 1.5 feed speed, makes nice little weld lines!! The local metal supply warehouse only dealt with large 40' sections to their commercial clients, aside from what I could find in the scraps piles, the 2"x3" angle worked well, and I got lots of practice laying down those beads, not to mention learning to turn off and unplug everything else that was on the garage breaker switch circuit(had to reset it a few times!).

Ken, thanks for the loading tips. I had planned on straps around the rear wheel to keep it from hopping, and I got some 600lb test ratchet straps to secure the front end against the wheel stop!!

Poolboy, thanks, but I've been using Flux Core wire, had to since the solid stuff wasn't rated for the 1/4" thick steel angle iron I was working with! Also, my gas bottle is Argon/Co2 75/25%blend, not just Co2, but now that I have the bottle, is only $20.00 to refill/exchange it!
                                Last edited by TopCatGr58; 04-02-2004, 10:23 PM.
                                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                                X