Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ride in 2 years and I lay it down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ride in 2 years and I lay it down!

Well it finally happened, I had to lay a bike down! I was in the left turn lane waiting to pull into the Mopar car show Sunday. Guy coming from my right did not see me there and when he started to turn, he was coming right at me in his black Silverado! I knew he did not see me and I started to freak, I started to let the Yamaha roll back, then as the truck mirror was coming at my face, I layed the bike down on her right side and jumped off! Guy saw me right as I was jumping off and cussing! Thank god he did not hit me or my XS1100! He did pull over and was just as shook up as me, turns out he is a biker also and was freaking as much as me. My first instinct was to clock him with my helmet, and if he had hit me or my bike, I probably would have! Bike is fine, my back is sore, and my chiro will see me in an hour or two.
    Always be aware out there, the life you save may be your own!
    1979XS100SF
    2007 Dyna wide glide
    Too many dodge trucks to list!

Glad you were able to avoid a collision there! Did you try honking your horn at him, or did it happen too fast to think that far?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

It happened quick! I forgot where the horn button was, and it is way to wimpy to be heard, I will be upgrading my horn this winter!
      1979XS100SF
      2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

Glad you weren't hurt. Glad the guy stopped also. I suffer from road rage really bad and on the bike it's worse. I had a lady pull out in front of me yesterday, I changed lanes and she crossed over in front of me again, I changed back to the right and she did it agaim, we both took right turns and she decided she was going to take a left up main from the middle lane in front of me , All I said was why don't you learn how to f#@%ing drive as I went around. So many people don't understand or pay attention. I always try and give a wave or nod when people wait and acknowlege I'm coming. Some people shouldn't be driving period.
        81 H

Comment

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, hope the guy at least helped you pick the bike up.

Comment

or as the Brits might say,
            "your driving skills are only exceeded by your good looks, high intelligence and impeccable breeding; you ugly stupid bastard."
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Can't trust them!!!

Horn lights loud pipes with some people nothing works. I was 17 had a R5B350 and was on newly paved asphault going down hill on a 2 lane deep ditch highway. I had been behind this little old lady for about 5 miles could not find a safe passing lane. Finally a passing lane but here comes a tractor trailor and then in the same instant at 50 she slams on the brakes because she went past her drive. I was quite a ways back but it had rained earlier and the oil on that asphault might as well have been ice. So I finally laid it down and stopped just short but she backed up over me on the ground. The truck driver stopped to help but she was raising so much &ell he used radio to get office to call State Police. The officer came and she bent his ear yelling somebody needs to loose their @ammed permit. The officer and trucker helped me get the bike out it was stuck but was not hurt. Officer asked me to come with him as he handed her the ticket and told her he'd definately recomend her permit was pulled to the judge.

So in my opinion even when you know they see you don't trust them.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Getting better every day

Well, I have been laid up all week with a strained back! Chiropractor every day, and I hope I can get back to work next week. I did make one big mistake, I did not get the other guys name and info I was just so grateful that he did not run me or my bike over I did not even think about it. DO NOT FORGET TO GET INFORMATION!! I hope I feel well enough tonight to go see David Allan Coe, I have had my ticket for two months now. I am feeling better, hopefully I feel up to riding the Yamaha to the vintage bike show at the LeMay museum on Sunday- nothing newer than 1980!! Even if I can't ride, I am going to the bike show dangit!
                I am really glad I did not get as injured as some of you have and that the bike is OK.Take care all and watch out for the other idiots, we are invisible to most of the world
                1979XS100SF
                2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

Have a buddy that has a tire iron with magnets on it to hold to the frame, and when some one messes with him, he rides up to the drivers door and for a first offence smashes the mirror, for really stupid things, he smashes the mirror and the window! I could never get away with that, would get caught the first time.
                  Ole Jack
                  J.D."Jack" Smith
                  1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                  1978E straight job
                  "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by xs11jack View Post
                    Have a buddy that has a tire iron with magnets on it to hold to the frame, and when some one messes with him, he rides up to the drivers door and for a first offence smashes the mirror, for really stupid things, he smashes the mirror and the window! I could never get away with that, would get caught the first time.
                    Ole Jack
                    That has got to be pretty tricky. Has he got two right hands?
                    Or is he riding an old side shift Harley, with a throttle that stays where you put it?
                    CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                      That has got to be pretty tricky. Has he got two right hands?
                      Or is he riding an old side shift Harley, with a throttle that stays where you put it?
                      CZ
                      Heck, my XS throttle stays where I put it, with the flick of my thumb. Throttle locks rock on long trips!
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Ole Jack
                        I had a cousin that strapped a hatchet on his Harley like that and the first time he waved it at a guy he got arrested.
                        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                        1980 G Silverbird
                        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                        1198 Overbore kit
                        Grizzly 660 ACCT
                        Barnett Clutch Springs
                        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                        122.5 Main Jets
                        ACCT Mod
                        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                        Antivibe Bar ends
                        Rear trunk add-on
                        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Isnt that why all those Harley riders have "Get back" whips?

I need to get some special paintballs made up with a custom formula that can be tossed

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Marbles work well. No evidence. But I still prefer caltrops...

Comment

A bag of lead balls for slingshots work well also. Throw a handful at their window and you WILL get their attention. An axe is considered a deadly weopon and I wouldn't wave one around for fear of a cop shooting me!

This was the first time I had to bail off my bike because of someone else. I am finally feeling better thanks to my chiropractor! Still a bit sore, but I can walk and sit without the pain I was feeling, and I am not leaning to one side anymore!! I hope I am well enough to sit on a flight to Germany as I leave Saturday. I am going to take the Yamy out tomorrow, one last ride until I get back in late September. The wife's friends over there have some scoots, so I will at least get to ride in Bavaria also.

Keep the rubber down and your eyes open
                              1979XS100SF
                              2007 Dyna wide glide

Comment

Working...
                              X