Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate when I mess up a paint job.

That is all.

Nothing to see here folks....move along.

Just a frustrated man.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Come on John! What happened?

Pics?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

No pics...sorry...

I was painting my stripes on rear luggage and just didnt think....taped the stripe too soon and when I pulled the tape it ruined both the underlying paint and edges of the stripe so everything had to be redone.

I was out of paint so had to schlep all over looking for more of my colors - just frustrating when I was so close to being done.

No chances....letting base coat dry overnight before taping tomorrow.

Trying to finish my bags before I leave Monday for two weeks....been spending the week cleaning and prepping the luggage and trim I got from jchappy in OK to get ready for XS Southeast in Sept.

Got a CHL renewal class after I get back...weekends are disappearing so gotta take advantage

I decided to take the old Givi trunk from Rising Sun and strip it and repaint for Great Ranger. Thats a separate frustration. Almost a whole can of Aircraft Stripper and still trying to get old paint off. I discovered those Givi trunks are really well designed and put together.

John

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

The more of a hurry we get in the more behinded we get. I have felt your pain before.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

That sucks! Sorry to hear that John. I hope you get it all fixed up today.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

After reading about Special Ed's misfortune, I feel bad for whining

Thx
            John

Comment

I'm glad the luggage and fairing went with someone that can use them. I've had several full bagger sets for goldwings that just sat around my parts shed till they got messed up and broken. I'd love to see a picture when you get done.

Comment

Justin - I will be posting "Proud Papa" pics when I am done - don't want anyone getting bored with the sausage making (plus I only stopped to take one or two anyway).

It is turning out pretty nice I think - the Givi trunk I like better than that Vetter trunk and if I can find a baseplate it makes for a nice removable suitcase.

Darn work is interfering with my working on the motorcycle plans...

John

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                  Justin - Darn work is interfering with my working on the motorcycle plans...

John
                  Tell me about it I seem to get the shop emptied right as a customer pullss in with 10 atv's for me to get running for him to sell. I can never turn down paying jobs though. Maybe one day my shop will make enough money for me to quit my day (night) job. (just wish I could get the insurance I have and paid days off) I want to get on the 1100 bad now days but there is a 600 bandit that is calling to me to fix and sell and there is always the 1958 lonestar that I need to get done by next spring for its big splash day on the lake. I guess there is always the trusty old 750 maxim for me to get my riding fix.

Comment

Still not completely finished

But thought I'd post some progress pics.

Before pic:

Carload of stuff from Justin in OK:

First test install for fit after removing turn signals and cleaning rusty bars:

With rack and bags reinstalled and painted:

I found trailer LEDs to mount on the bags for turn signals that were similar in style to the 1938 Lincoln Zephyr taillight on the fender. I wasnt totally pleased with placement, but clearance issues with bars dictated placement more than my preference of more centered on the bag. (besides the bag back isnt flat)

I still need to wire my extensions. I drilled the inside of he bags and installed rubber grommets for wiring to pass through. One in place I will seal it up with black RTV. I also added the Givi quick release mounting plate to the rack for fast trunk removal. I am still working on the trunk paint job. I added L- bracket supports from rack/toolbox down to side bag mounts to stiffen the whole thing (look inside front section of rack/toolbox) and relocated the license plate and LED light to back of bag bars.

Since I did them on separate days without looking at them I got the bag stripes slightly different widths, but I dont think I will redo it.

Now to start on the fairing!

John

Comment

Here is the rack support

Tied into corner and down to bag mount.

John

Comment

With unfinished Givi trunk in place

I have not yet decided if I want to stripe this or redo it in ivory instead to lighten up the bike and make it more visible, although the trunk itself adds more visibility.

John

Comment

Do the ivory on the raised section of the lid.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate the more I think about it the more I agree. I plan on using my Don Vesco fairing on this one in ivory maybe with orange accents only - I think the ivory trunk will balance it well.

John

Comment

I am just talking about the smaller center section of the lid, almost looks louvered in the pic.

I also think that since your primary color already is the orange, then if you went almost all ivory of the fairing it might look out of balance. I think It might be better to stay with the orange as the main color on the fairing and the ivory as the accent.

Does look good so far though!
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X