No announcement yet.

Fried my bike last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would skip the frame paint and go with powdercoat.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

xs750 for Ed

HI Ed,,,,just saw you were interested in the xs750, I have had one for quite a few years, great bike. There is one on the parts for sale section, its a xs850, same bike- bigger engine. Overall, better all around than the xs1100 for city and highway, but does not have the grunt of the 1100. Easy to ride, great sound, fairly reliable except a 2nd gear washer- but its easy to fix- one hour max. Only issues, not as good two up, still same size frame, harder to find parts, so, if you ever come down to san diego you can hop on mine take a spin and see what you think. Hope you can get your ol 1100 going until a good xs750 shows up, but I would recommend an xj750 as :"the bike to get for you" but a good one is rare. The xs850 is only 200 bucks or less, maybe worth a project as its complete. Its in Idaho, but could be worth it....also I have had the xj750, much better in town, just like the 1100 but easy to move around, I think you would be overjoyed to get a xj750, the xj650 and xj550 are to small- they feel like a girls bike, I have had those too, but the xj750 is great and fairly plentiful...maybe check out the central rally pics a couple of years ago, my son rode it up there.....see ya, MIke in S.DIego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

Yo Eddie. While watching yer bike go up in flames, you quip one-liners like, "Well, at least my hi temp paint is cured properly." You have a twisted sense of humor! It did make me laugh like a hyena.

Not long ago I saw a frame that was painted with POR15 black. It looked shiny and deep. The owner said it was tough and I didn't see any rock chips. I about fell over when he said that he put it on with a brush. It looked as good as any spray job i've seen. Done a couple frames myself with appliance enamel spray paint in the past, but I'm gonna try out the POR on the next one.

The crew has given you a damngood bird's eye lowdown on the triple sitch. They are pretty decent lil' bikes. Light and slim, which is important when ya lanesplit as much as I do. The sound at speed is a siren's song...

Comment

About those 650 Maxims...

Thanks for the Maxim and paint tips! I've heard conflicting reports on the 650 Maxim. I have a neighbor who had one 20 some odd years ago, and he said he could keep up with or out run bikes up to 750's on acceleration up to 60 or 70 mph, and after that, displacement ruled. He also said that it handled quite well. I haven't been able to get my weight up over 120 lbs since my cancer operation and I've lost some muscle tone, so I am after a lighter bike, and the Maxim looks like a slightly smaller XS11. As much as I am intrigued by triples, I'm a bit concerned about parts availability.

I'm going to post this on the "Other bike discussion" thread to see if I can get some more feed back on the Maxims.

Your feed back is invited.
          Special Ed
          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
            “The real questions I would have is did the frame get hot enough to cause metalurgical concerns, and did the engine and middle drive get hot enough to be concerned about any rubber seals in them?”
            Good question. I hadn't given this much thought, but it is something to consider. And yes I will need Yamaha frame black paint. Any suggestions? Ray tells me that California paint sucks and that I should get paint from out of state. Any suggestions?
            Since it didn't finish melting all of the intake boots and other rubber parts I don't think it would be hot enough to cause the medal to weaken. I'm not sure that the frame is tempered anyway, in which case heating it up would cause the medal to lose some of the stress that was induced when the tubing was bent and actually make the frame stronger...

I can't say if the seals are still good though, I'd have to know where they are and what they're made of.
            1979 XS1100

Comment

Hi Ed, sorry to hear about your bike. Just be glad your ok, thats the most important thing! Another cool bike to consider is the Yamaha Fazer FZX, also known as the mini vmax. The US versions were 700's but you might beremain able to find a 750CBP that wasthe imported. They were about 500 lbs and as quick as the 11. They were cutting edge technology with Yamaha's first ever 20 valve engine that later became the GENSIS motor in the FZR. If I had to choose a smaller displacement I4 Yamaha it would be the Fazer. Keep your head up, you'll be on 2 wheels in no time.

In the mean time, drool on this...
              http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-tpFz...FzsyONIo&gl=US
              Last edited by WMarshy; 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                Hi Ed, sorry to hear about your bike. Just be glad your ok, thats the most important thing! Another cool bike to consider is the Yamaha Fazer FZX, also known as the mini vmax. The US versions were 700's but you might beremain able to find a 750CBP that wasthe imported. They were about 500 lbs and as quick as the 11. They were cutting edge technology with Yamaha's first ever 20 valve engine that later became the GENSIS motor in the FZR. If I had to choose a smaller displacement I4 Yamaha it would be the Fazer. Keep your head up, you'll be on 2 wheels in no time.

In the mean time, drool on this...
                http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-tpFz...FzsyONIo&gl=US
                I own one of those bikes but I haven't rode it yet. Mine is a 750 bought for 300 it would start and idle. Sat outside under a tarp for 8 years so i lots of work ahead of me on this bike.
                '79 XS11SF

Comment

Or a maxim x it has the same 5 valve setup
                  91 kwaka kz1000p
                  Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

hey ed, sorry to hear about your bike. I have a 79 xs1100 and I also have a 1977 xs7502d. I love the way that bike handles, it is an extremely fun bike. You can definately "toss" it around a lot more. Where the 1100 feels top heavy and harder to do quick swerves on the 750 is really easy and nimble. I think they are rated at 67horsepower. They dont have as much power as the 1100 but they still have enough and more power than todays bikes.
                    Jeff
                    77 XS750 2D completely stock
                    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Working...
                    X