Fried my bike last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried my bike last night

I am devastated. My '79 Special, with only200 miles on a rebuilt engine caught fire and was pretty much destroyed.. The frame, engine and drive train are OK, but everything else is fried. I hadn't even gotten around to taking a picture of it. I can probably sell the engine and a few other parts and use the money to buy another bike, or maybe put the engine in another XS. I feel like I just lost a cherished pet, or an old friend.
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

THat really sucks! Sorry!

What happened?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sorry to see that. Hope you can get another one soon, You have a lot to save off your old one so that gives you some options at least. Best of luck.
      81 H

Comment

Wow... Sorry to hear that. Did it catch anything else, or just the bike?
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

$hit man. Sorry to hear that
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Sorry Ed, it really is like losing a friend.
            2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
            2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
            1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
            1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Comment

Wow, That really sucks. How'd it happen?
              1979 XS1100

Comment

Man Ed I just read this whole thing...that sucks, I know y'all had worked hard on getting it going again.

What caused the fire? Leaky carb floats?

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

The rest of the story...

I was riding my skoot out of the parking garage when I felt a cool trickle on my left leg. I frequently start up the bike and ride off, forgetting to turn the gas petcock on. This time I remembered just when I got to the garage door. Realizing it was gasoline on my leg, I turned off the gas, parked and proceeded to reattach the gas line which had come loose. When I started the bike the gas that was setting on top of the engine caught fire. A couple of young guys that were passing by had a large towel and commenced to try beating out the flames. They actually succeeded except for a little flicker right under the tank Before this could be extinguished the engine reignited. A neighbor had called 911, but before the fire truck arrived it was pretty much to late. I had just topped off the gas tank, too. Everyone tells me that I should be thankful that I am unscathed. Considering my pants leg was wet with gasoline I guess I am lucky that I didn't catch fire myself. I am trying very hard to find some blessings to count out of this...

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

Jeez Ed what a bummer . If the drive train is still good you can rebuild .
                    91 kwaka kz1000p
                    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Granted I have not seen the pics, but there is plenty on the bike that should just need some paint. I would think with the exception of the tires the wheels, and suspension front and rear would be fine. The seat is probably gone, the tank might just need paint, rebuild petcocks...ect. If you go through it piece by piece you might find there is more there good than you think. I have an 81 SH wiring harness I would send you if you want it, not pristine condition but works.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Ouch

HI ED,,,,really sad to hear of the ol girl biting some dust. Anyway,,,your body is a lot more important than some metal.....burnt skin is ugly,,,,your bike can be reborn. How about a couple of pics and some info on what you need to rebuild the bike. I am driving through your area labor day, and have an extra parts bike, so between us s.cal. guys, we can scrounge up what you might need.....to have it Rise from the Ashes.......keep smiling, you are a great guy.
                        Mike in Sun Diego
                        mike
                        1982 xj1100 maxim
                        1981 venture bagger
                        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                        1959 wife

Comment

Hope

Hey Ed, just checked your area,,there is a complete bike and a parts bike on craigslist that just popped up today. Here is the ad heading,,,,1980 Yamaha XS 1100 project bike ($500 or best offer) (scotts valley)

You could probably get it cheap,,,,or just buy the parts bike real cheap if it has what you want. Tell him the fire story, I know I would sell it cheap to a needy guy. Anyway, check out craigslist, this ad is right around your corner and hope it works. Keep us informed, Mike in Sun Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Sorry about your bad luck...but i Got a complete wiring harness for yea 40 bux shipped
                            _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                            1980 gs1000g "stock"
                            1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                            2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Thanks guys

Thanks to all for your kind sympathies and moral support. I hope to take some pictures and post them later today. I'll check on that parts bike in Scots Valley, but Ray has several pars bikes and has offered his assistance. Unfortunately we aren't talking about a simple electrical fire here. I had just topped off the gas tank, so there was plenty of fuel for the fire. The wind shield melted all over the front of the bike, as well as the plastic side covers melted over the battery and fuse box. My options seem to be:
                              1- install the engine in another XS11 with a missing engine;
                              2- rebuild with other parts;
                              3- part out my bike and try to get enough bucks to buy a smaller bike.

Option three is tempting, since I do most of my riding around town and in the local mountains. A 650, say an XS 650, would be just right. The 1100 (which is actually a 1200 now,) is a freeway burning monster, but is a bit much for me to handle in parking lots and traffic. It also violates the basic biker rule that you shouldn't ride a bike that is too heave for the rider to pick up by himself. But right now this is just a thought.
                              Stay tuned: I'll post some pics later.

Comment

Working...
                              X