Volkswagen Passat help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volkswagen Passat help

I am working on my sister in law car and I am trying to bleed the rear brakes and I am hoping that the many gurus on here can help me. I joined 2 volkswagen forums almost 2 months ago and posted the problem there and I don't have any responses yet. It is a 1993 volkswagen passat gls with the vr6 engine it has abs and I changed the master cylinder abs assy because the rear brakes were not working on the other one now I cannot get them to work on this one as well. I have tried bleeding right for the abs unit as that is where the brake lines attach and the abs unit is directly bolted to the master cylinder and has no lines running from it to the abs unit here is a picture of the assy hope it helps people understand what I am talking about.
    '79 XS11SF

You ddnt say, but you need a VCDS Diagnostic Module and cable to plug in and put ABS into "Go" mode to run ABS pump to properly bleed them.

Otherwise it will never bleed.

Wait, thats a late model Passat I just saw yours is 93, it may have a different module.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

yeah it is pre95 but i can get the front to bleed easy but the back nogo
      '79 XS11SF

Comment

Dude, you are a trooper. I helped an Audi entranced friend of mine and those VW products are a serious PITA. I hate them. I hope your sister in law sees the halo around your head.

As to the problem, you said you replaced the master cylinder ABS assembly. Does this mean a new master cylinder in addition to the ABS unit, is it one package? I'm unfamiliar with this year and model specifically.

If you R/R'd the master or the master reservoir have you bled the master cylinder at the cylinder? Then of course the ABS system, then the wheel cylinders.

Also, would a pressure-bleeder (available at harbor freight) potentially help you force fluid through the system without said fancy VW contoller to actuate the ABS system?

Can you, after bleeding the master, bleed any individual lines on the ABS unit?

Hope you know I'm not insinuating you're stupid with these suggestions, just trying to build a feed the monkey tree to help get some useful ideas on the table. I'm curious as well. Part of me wishes I were there looking at it while the sane part of my brain says to avoid VW at all costs...
        1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Also, could a gravity bleed work?

I.E. just open the rear wheel cylinder bleeders and let it sit. Eventually the fluid will work its way through the system.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Sorry for the multiple posts in a row, but I have nothing to do at the moment and am looking online for ideas. If none of the above suggestions work, can we trick the ABS system into activation long enough to fill it with fluid to allow proper bleeding at the wheels?

It's been a long, long time since I've had to do any ABS work. Been out of the industry going on ten years.

Comment

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...332&viewfull=1

Comment

i don't know if you can see in the pictures but there is no way to bleed the master cylinder separate form the abs unit as they bolt directly to one another that means no lines from one to the other, the only lines come out of the abs unit and there is 3 of them I have tried to bleed the abs unit but no luck. Here is some pictures of the the assy before it put in the car.

'79 XS11SF

Comment

Thanks for the link but this is what i have already been doing and still now luck
                  not sure what to try now.
                  '79 XS11SF

Comment

No idea about a pressure bleeder?

Comment

I am still having trouble bleeding the rear brakes on this car does anyone else have any ideas. I would like to finish this car so I can maybe work on my bike again.
                      '79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
                      X