More fun with eBay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More fun with eBay.

Just wanted to post a little story regarding a recent eBay experience.

I had somehow lost my old digital SAE/Metric 6" caliper that I had given to me years ago! So...went on eBay, found some, 1 from USA seller/shipper, and ordered it. It arrived yesterday in the USPS mail...here's what I found when I took it out of the Bubble Wrap envelope:

Needless to say, I was a bit miffed. I found an actual email address in the Paypal invoice and sent these photos along with the story about how it arrived this way. A simple piece of cardboard taped across the GLASS face would have probably prevented this! I stated that it would probably NOT be cost effective for me to return it...using THEIR postage fees and then they have to turn around and send out another unit...suggested that they just send me a replacement.

I sent the same message to the seller on eBay messages as well. I received a reply later that same day that they were going to be shipping out another unit within 24 hours and that I didn't need to return the broken one.

SO....I was then free to PLAY with trying to fix the broken one. I first removed all of the shards of broken glass....they were just secured with some fancy strip adhesive all around the plastic edge. As you can see, the display still worked so the LCD portion wasn't actually damaged!

I then got a piece of picture glass, used a dremmel with a diamond small cut off disc, and cut out a little rectangle of glass, and then used some RED Silicone gasket maker RTV to secure it and seal it back in place. It's NOT PRETTY, but it's functional, and soon I'll have 2 digital Calipers!

I could say it was almost as easy as Pi !

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post

T.C.
    Booooo! Get off the stage!!
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

I need to get me one of those calipers i keep meaning to but i somehow always forget when i go to princess auto. not sure why!!!
      '79 XS11SF

Comment

Pii !!!!!!!
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

Thats good proud of you. So the next time I get Poo in the mail maybe I'll get you to make it into Pii for me.
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Thanks for the typo correction Rover...guess my spelling doesn't always "measure up"!

It's been a while since I was in Geometry class, I know the Value....~22/7 or 3.1416.... and how to use it, but I forgot how it was spelled!

BTW, I received the FREE replacement caliper yesterday in the mail, and it was in good shape. It's a relatively cheap one, but it seems to measure and maintain the measuring calibration thru repeated movements of the jaws thru their entire 6+" range. My old one would often come up with a error message if I moved the jaws too many times out and in!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X