81 xs 11 put on a diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 xs 11 put on a diet

Here's my current project got it a few moths back and havent had much time to do anything to it besides call jenny craig. Plans for it I think are nice red and white paint job. Just going for a clean stock example for now. Here it is when I got it.

Last edited by jcchappy; 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM. Reason: more pictures

stripping the weight

well jenny craig sent me some wrenches so I got to work getting this beast down a few dress sizes. Also I didn't have a seat at the time so I put this one on there for now ( it doesnt fit well at all ebay here I come) I also had this little fairing in the shed I dont think it looks too bad.

Comment

I gave $400 for my xs so far I've bought a new battery for it and brazed up a hole it the fuel tank I got it to run but not good soon as summer is over I'm going to tear into the carbs, clean and synch new tires and a paint job of course the usually grease bearings oil change and all that good stuff. hopefully it will be a new bike next spring if everything will slow down a litlle and let me work.

Comment

The fairing is a shoei I just remembered. I don't know what it went on. It may be a universal fit.

Comment

That WAS an 81Venturer.......the ONLY year model factory dresser........O well.....another one bites the dust......
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Another guy on this furum is coming to get all the bags and fairings for his xs. None of the parts were broken or cut up just taken off.

Comment

Welcome!

Most things on.that bike say it is an '81 but the tank is wrong!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                Welcome!

Most things on.that bike say it is an '81 but the tank is wrong!
                Yup, has the smaller 5.3gal standard tank(emblem attachment the givaway), but still a 4R1 model.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I just like the big garage! I would like to make my garage in the TARDIS so there is unlimited space!

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jcchappy View Post
                    Another guy on this furum is coming to get all the bags and fairings for his xs. None of the parts were broken or cut up just taken off.
                    Hi jcchappy,
                    Note to the other guy. Those bags were on backwards. Locks go IN towards the saddle. hinge on the outside edge.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

The bags were just siting on there in the picture. I had already stripped it and realized I didn't have a before/ just off the trailer picture. Also the tank I'm sure is not the right one also because the original had rotted away on both sides. There were four 5" to 6" holes in it. I love my shop its a 30x40 with cement floor no ac but it has a wood stove that heats pretty god in the winter. I wish it was bigger. Right now its full, too many treasures/projects waiting for me to finish them. 64 yamaha ya6 santa barbara (rebuilt engine needing seat), 64 yamaha 125 enduro needs total engine build or another engine, polaris awd 4wd 4 wheeler that engine was blown so I installed a honda cb1 sport bike engine stretched frame 12" so it would fit just need to finish up gearing and cosmetics. 1965 bridgestone 175 twin I haven't got to yet. 1974 dodge charger with a 440 and 727 auto needing ready quarter panels, paint and engine rebuild. Shovelhead on the stand And that is just inside. Tons literally outside.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        That WAS an 81Venturer.......the ONLY year model factory dresser........O well.....another one bites the dust......
                        Get over it, at least it's getting some love and soon to be back on the road, not rotting in a field.
                        I think it looks good and I like the little sport fairing.
                        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                        79 DT 100

Comment

worked on my bike a little more last night

Last night at the shop I was finishing taking off the fairing mount and aftermarket highway pegs and decided to look at the vin again. My date code is 9/80 so is this bike still a venturer since its technically not an 81?

Comment

Originally posted by jcchappy View Post
                            Last night at the shop I was finishing taking off the fairing mount and aftermarket highway pegs and decided to look at the vin again. My date code is 9/80 so is this bike still a venturer since its technically not an 81?
                            It's still an 81. the manufacture date is usually always before the model year.
                            Take a look at your car. Inside the door jam where the pain code and recommended tire pressure is listed, you'll see the date the car was built and it'll probably be off by anywhere from 2-8 months from the model year.

The VIN is everything when it comes to determining the model & year.
                            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                            The Green Monster
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                            Got him in '04.
                            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                            Scarlet
                            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                            Hugo
                            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

Yup, most all the build dates are one year behind.
                              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                              79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                              X