Happy Birthday, USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday, USA

Happy Birthday to our country. Thank you to all the veterans who served to keep us free. For a refreshing experience today, take time to read the Declaration of Independence. It is a truly extraordinary document.
    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

+1 poprock,happy 236 years new to the USA.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Happy 4th!!!!!
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Good advice.. A read of the constitution would also be a good read.

As a veteran, I'll have to say that, while I was fighting, it had nothing to do with preservibg anybodies freedom.. Had more to do with living one more day. Cant really think of a war we were involved in, since the revolution, that had anything to do with our freedom. By a stretch, WWII, perhaps..

I will second the happy birthday USA though and thank the other veterans for their service for their President(s).

Lee
        79 SF

Comment

Maybe you should reread it sparky and then pop your head up out of where ever it is and look around and get a good view of what's really going on.

BTW....thanks for your service.....for me and the President.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Where would the American Civil War fit into the picture? That was after the War of Independence, right? Was that one about freedom too?

In any event....Happy Birthday, youngster!
            Last edited by James England; 07-04-2012, 05:14 PM.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Maybe you should reread it sparky and then pop your head up out of where ever it is and look around and get a good view of what's really going on.

BTW....thanks for your service.....for me and the President.
              I dont recall being rude in my comment. I have read both, the declaration and the constitution many times. that has little to do with the wars our country has fought. I'm not as closed minded as some.. show me a war we were involved in that involved preserving our nations freedom and I'll admit to being wrong.. I cant thinnk of any except perhaps, as I said in my previous post, WWII.

BTW, My participation in the Viet Nam unpleasantry, was when I was fairly ignorant about our responsibilities as citixzens.

It has been my practice to respect everybodies point of view. If that means my head is buried somewhere.. so be it.

Lee
              (Sparks)
              79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                Where would the American Civil War fit into the picture? That was after the War of Independence, right? Was that one about freedom too?

In any event....Happy Birthday, youngster!
                Heavans.. how could I have overlooked that skirmish.. Should have said foreign wars.. Many of the wars our country has been involved in were about (at least on the surface)
                freedom... Just not about preserving our freedom.. More often though, they were about something else.... Profit comes to miind. But heck.. this is supposed to be a birthday
                celbration..

Thank you for the birthday wishes old one..

Lee
                (Sparks)
                Last edited by sparks; 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM.
                79 SF

Comment

Yeah....enough discussion of wars, chaps. It's too damned demoralising.

I recommend listening to the BBC World Service for an idea of just how many wars are going on in this world of ours. In the meantime. I thought birthdays were supposed to be happy?
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by sparks View Post
                    I dont recall being rude in my comment. I have read both, the declaration and the constitution many times. that has little to do with the wars our country has fought. I'm not as closed minded as some.. show me a war we were involved in that involved preserving our nations freedom and I'll admit to being wrong.. I cant thinnk of any except perhaps, as I said in my previous post, WWII.

BTW, My participation in the Viet Nam unpleasantry, was when I was fairly ignorant about our responsibilities as citixzens.

It has been my practice to respect everybodies point of view. If that means my head is buried somewhere.. so be it.

Lee
                    (Sparks)
                    So, what you are saying is that you don't think that fighting the spread of communism or defending ourselves from terrorism has anything to do with freedom?

I will need you to explain that too me because I see clear a clear connection to preserving freedom there.

Although I was too young to be involved but old enough to remember Viet Nam It seems to me that that action was doomed by liberal actions that caused the commanders to try and win a fight with less resources than were available. Just like is happening in the middle east now. If you were there, I'm certain you know what I am speaking of.

This action is doomed to the same fate. Men are dying because of lack of equipment and armor while the King is on a 5 million dollar golfing and basketball vacation.

Priorities.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yeah....enough discussion of wars, chaps. It's too damned demoralising.

I recommend listening to the BBC World Service for an idea of just how many wars are going on in this world of ours. In the meantime. I thought birthdays were supposed to be happy?
                      It was my fault. For that, I am truly sorry. In honor of my countries birthday, I'm for 4 finge3rs of good Irish Whiskey and 4 fingers of good South American rum... Happy birthday America..
                      I dont care for Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey.

Lee
                      (Sparks)
                      79 SF

Comment

Heavans.. how could I have overlooked that skirmish.. Should have said foreign wars.. Many of the wars our country has been involved in were about (at least on the surface)
                        freedom... Just not about preserving our freedom.. More often though, they were about something else.... Profit comes to miind. But heck.. this is supposed to be a birthday
                        celbration..

Thank you for the birthday wishes old one..

Lee
                        (Sparks)
                        WWII wasn't about profit, it was about stopping a a few power hungry despots who were intent on taking over the world. Most of the rest of the world was involved well before we were, but we knew that at one point if we didn't get involved both with material help as well as directly that we were going to be attacked as well (Hitler for one actually did have plans to attack the U.S., and it looks pretty credible that he was heading towards the ability to strike at least the eastern seaboard) and Japan had plans to attack and invade as well (not to say they would have succeeded, but that war was indeed about OUR freedom as well as large parts of the rest of the world. The question is certainly open about those after that point, but that's not a subject for discussion here, if you would like to discuss things like that you might want to join us over on .org where those type of discussions can take place, otherwise I'll just wish you a happy 4th from one Veteran to another (I'm not Vietnam era, I just missed that, and got out before the gulf war stuff started up as well 76 - 83, US Army Signal Corps 26L Tactical Microwave and Satellite Systems Repairman (this is communications not the stoves guys))
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I dont care for Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey.

Lee
                          (Sparks)
                          The worst I ever had was Japanese whisky (Suntory). It's unbelievably horrible.

Comment

OK.. This is the last for me on this subject.. Send me a PM if you wish to continue this discussion.. It's sort of rude.. and I started it and have already apologized.. I mentioned that WWII was an exception on several ocasions. You need to read all of the posts before jumping in.. That said.. Send me a PM to continue.. I wont Hijack this thread any more than I have already.l

Best Regards
                            Lee

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                            WWII wasn't about profit, it was about stopping a a few power hungry despots who were intent on taking over the world. Most of the rest of the world was involved well before we were, but we knew that at one point if we didn't get involved both with material help as well as directly that we were going to be attacked as well (Hitler for one actually did have plans to attack the U.S., and it looks pretty credible that he was heading towards the ability to strike at least the eastern seaboard) and Japan had plans to attack and invade as well (not to say they would have succeeded, but that war was indeed about OUR freedom as well as large parts of the rest of the world. The question is certainly open about those after that point, but that's not a subject for discussion here, if you would like to discuss things like that you might want to join us over on .org where those type of discussions can take place, otherwise I'll just wish you a happy 4th from one Veteran to another (I'm not Vietnam era, I just missed that, and got out before the gulf war stuff started up as well 76 - 83, US Army Signal Corps 26L Tactical Microwave and Satellite Systems Repairman (this is communications not the stoves guys))
                            79 SF

Comment

The worst I ever had was Japanese whisky (Suntory). It's unbelievably horrible.
                              One of the few I will not drink.. Even when other people are buyuing ... and that's a stretch.. I was introlduced to Irish whiskey by a North Sea Pilot.. He took us from the south of France to Bremerhaven and back.. Spent a lot of time in my radio shack and later in my cabin and a considerable amount of the stuff.. Many sea stories excahanged while the ship somehow made it without misshap..

Lee
                              79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X