Website access problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Don't ask me I'm an auto tech but I know there is a lot more than 333ft of copper wire in a vehicle. Besides, the cable that runs from the pole to the house is copper and it's at least 75ft.
    There is a big difference between the wiring for lights and for high freq data signals. There is a limit to how much copper those can travel through and still work without having to go through an amplifier to clean up and reamplify the signal. Take it from guys who have worked with this stuff most of their lives, that's why DSL is limited to certain houses, they must be within a certain copper distance of the equipment. They made it available to more houses by moving the equipment to the neighborhood vaults and feeding those with fiber, that put many more homes within the approax 333ft of copper (and I think it's actually a little more than that with current DSL tech, but the speed drops with distance, max speed is only available at the minimum distance).

The thing *I* have found working with higher level techs in troubleshooting my internet problems is that the problem isn't the wire, most of the wire in the country has FAR more capacity than is needed, it's the routers that are running at 85 to 95% capacity which as FAR overloaded as you want to run them generally no more than about 65 to 70% capacity for good performance. Any more than that and they will get bogged down and drop packets, which with internet protocols will cause severe drops in performance, far more than one would thing, as in simply dropping 1% of packets will drop performance a good 20% when downloading files because of how the system works.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
      ...that's why DSL is limited to certain houses, they must be within a certain copper distance of the equipment. They made it available to more houses by moving the equipment to the neighborhood vaults and feeding those with fiber, that put many more homes within the approax 333ft of copper (and I think it's actually a little more than that with current DSL tech, but the speed drops with distance, max speed is only available at the minimum distance)...
      It's got to be more than 300+ feet for copper; I was told by the local techs that the limit is 10K feet. I'm about 4000 feet from the end of the county road and I know for a fact there's no vaults on our private road. And there's neighbors past me who have DSL internet....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

333 is the theoretical limit for Ethernet without running through a repeater. Ethneret could be 10mb up to 1000mb. DSL is signal over phone lines generally under 5 miles if I remember right. Distance impacts capacity on DSL On a good day DSL is 5mb? All of these are a drop in the bucket compared to the distance required for most connections to someone elses server like 1000's of miles.
        1970? Honda Z50... gone
        1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
        1974 Honda CB200... gone
        1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
        1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
        2008 Honda VTX 1800F
        1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          It's got to be more than 300+ feet for copper; I was told by the local techs that the limit is 10K feet. I'm about 4000 feet from the end of the county road and I know for a fact there's no vaults on our private road. And there's neighbors past me who have DSL internet....
          You're right, I was thinking of high speed stuff. DSL is a few miles, but for max speed it's like 2 miles or something like that, and there IS a vault out there somewhere, there has to be, as copper can carry even voice only so far, the vault can be a small building or even underground (although I would not expect it to be underground in Wa although what the phone co does isn't always sensible).
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            ...there IS a vault out there somewhere, there has to be, as copper can carry even voice only so far, the vault can be a small building or even underground (although I would not expect it to be underground in Wa although what the phone co does isn't always sensible).
            There is a repeater/amplifier a bit less than 2 miles from my house; the phone co has a small building that services us but mostly a development there. There's about 400 customers in the development but only about 30 or so towards my way. I know I'm close to the 'end' because a neighbor a bit past me who has been told he is the 'end' was given the choice of internet or cable TV, but not both. Not enough signal left... He tried streaming video off Netflix, but the picture quality would be terrible unless he tried in the middle of the night. The few people past him are SOL for anything but phone service.

I had a party telephone line until about ten years ago, so this is the boondocks...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              There is a repeater/amplifier a bit less than 2 miles from my house; the phone co has a small building that services us but mostly a development there. There's about 400 customers in the development but only about 30 or so towards my way. I know I'm close to the 'end' because a neighbor a bit past me who has been told he is the 'end' was given the choice of internet or cable TV, but not both. Not enough signal left... He tried streaming video off Netflix, but the picture quality would be terrible unless he tried in the middle of the night. The few people past him are SOL for anything but phone service.

I had a party telephone line until about ten years ago, so this is the boondocks...
              Yep, that building IS the vault. Fiber runs to there and copper runs from there. The distance is not a hard number either, a lot depends on the CONDITION of the copper and how many splices are in the line etc, the more splices the shorter the max distance and the the shorter the distance that the highest level of service is available is capable of.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
              X