Rode my XS1100 for the last time...and a little rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value

I'm not sure you want to sell it for that. If it's nice, put it on Ebay with alot of clear pics and a detailed listing...and make sure it's clean and polished. I've sold xs11's for $3,550, $3,000, and $2700, $1800 and $1700 on there over the years. You just have to find the buyers with the want and the cash. I've never had any luck on craig's list, just low baller $500 jerks like me. I always said buy on craigslist and sell on ebay.
    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
    79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
      I'm not sure you want to sell it for that. If it's nice, put it on Ebay with alot of clear pics and a detailed listing...and make sure it's clean and polished. I've sold xs11's for $3,550, $3,000, and $2700, $1800 and $1700 on there over the years. You just have to find the buyers with the want and the cash. I've never had any luck on craig's list, just low baller $500 jerks like me. I always said buy on craigslist and sell on ebay.
      Well I've done my research on Ebay in the completed section today and there are some nice looking bikes that did not sell for under $1500. Actually
      only one of the 13 auctions shown (some are repeats though) looks to have sold. Of course that doesn't take in account location which is a big factor. Just out of curiosity how many people showed up in person to look at your bikes in person before bidding?
      Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
      1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
      1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        I'll at least partially disagree with this; yes, compared to newer four-cylinder bikes or nearly any water-cooled bike, these are relatively easy to work on. But compared to most air-cooled V-twins (especially the pushrod variety), the XS11 needs a lot of rather complicated maintenance. My Harleys don't need carb syncs or valve adjustments and what they do need is very minimal and seldom. Granted, if you bite the bullet and spend the time to get everything 'right' on a XS, it will reward you with many miles of trouble-free use, but doing a valve shim on one is not on my list of favorite things to do...
        Growing up and before my motorcycling days I always heard people put down Harley's as always needing work, oil spotting the driveway, travel more miles in the back of pickups then on the road ect blah...blah...blah but the truth is they are simple compared to these Japanese bikes I (and we) are trying to rehab and keep running. I might not be a big fan of the "harley culture" but there design seems tried and true and thats why all then new Japanese cruisers that I can think of are V twin style

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          jimbyjimb makes a good point. As we get older and stop riding, the demand is going to go down. Look what happened to the price of a Model A Ford when the guys who drove them as kids died off. Most of those who desire these bikes had them or wanted them in their youth. See the average age thread. The overwhelming numbers of us are in our 50's or 60's.
          It's so funny you mentioned the Model A! I was thinking of that car as I was typing!

A wealthy friend of mine, 26 years old and about to become a self-made millionaire, bought a 29 Model A Tudor a short time ago. I tinkered with it for a couple months, tuning it and repairing it and what not. What an absolute kick in the pants that car was! Primo-shape A's only go for 15k if you're lucky. What a deal! That car is WAY more fun to drive than anything I've ever driven, including Porsches, Vipers, SRT-10 Rams, all sorts of 'cool' cars. The Model A had under 40 horsepower and was four times as much fun as a car with well over 400!

I hate my generation sometimes. I thought about that today when some dork on a Hayabusa was passing me going way too fast in traffic with a fart pipe that almost exploded my ears. It's REALLY hard to top the XS11 in general, particularly in price. It's such a well-mannered, smooth, even-tempered machine. It looks good, rides good and is just good. I know any modern touring bike wouldn't perform so much better it were worth the huge price jump.

I calculated that I have to date, in my fifth year of ownership, I have spent less on my XS, including fuel, purchase price, maintenance and insurance, than just the purchase price of a 1200 Sportster at 5k. A stock XS will outperform the Sportster no problem, is 30 years older, 100cc smaller and has given me every ounce of fun I could have on any street-oriented motorcycle. And it was a steal at 1700 bucks! It's easy to work on, generally cheap to maintain or upgrade, and a great scoot that people like. And then there's XS11.com!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?!
          1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post

I hate my generation sometimes.
            I agree, I hate your generation sometimes too! Especially the turds who felt the need to do wheelies in front of me a couple of nights ago with their Ninja "jerk" bikes.

Anyways I fanned out (expanded) on Craigslist and posted in 6 different locations up to a couple hundred miles away and started picking up some more inquiries last night. The deal I thought was done ran into snags with SR-22 insurance or something so it was time to reset and make a renewed effort. I'll give it until Sunday and then try Ebay

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              They still like them, they just rather have a turn the key and ride every time bike.
              My brother quit riding 13 years ago for that exact reason. He is not mechanical and got tired of fighting with his Honda and going to repair shops. He said he'll ride again when he can buy a bike that all he has to do is turn the key & put gas in it every once in a while...what's the fun in that? Tried to sell him my XS but not quite plush enough. My guess is he'll never ride again.

Comment

The XS11's are old and cool and I like em! There are so many V twins around here that I get the looks and the thumbs up whenever I am riding the old XS11.
                My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

I'm definitely a senior owner and while the XJ doesnt get ridden much I dont think I'll get rid of it anytime soon. A modern bike like my '01 Honda ST1100 is a prime example of a bike that only need gas,tires and oil and go. The XJ is still a cool ride but I cant ride it comfortably long distances anymore....
                  I'm no great mechanic but some of the most memorable fixes have come from meeting others here that were really instrumental in helping me keep the old Maxim roadworthy... For which i am forever grateful...
                  Few of us are original owners anymore...
                  As for values...an XS/XJ would have to be in Exceptional condiition to be worth anything above what has been quoted...also that one that sold for $6K isnt the most anyone has ever paid for an XS/XJ11...I recall Maximan's most exceptional XJ11 selling on ebay for $8000...so if its truly exceptional then it will command big bucks...otherwise everything else will just go for run of the mill prices.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

UPDATE: Bike is sold with cash in hand

Well one deal fell through but got her sold a good guy that knows about XS'sives. I think it's in good hands. Not the money I wanted but it rarely is. Bought another possible resale/ possible parts bike today (80' Honda) so it will keep my mind of my old 11 for awhile.

Comment

how many?

None! Local people offer you $500 because they don't know the bike or it's old.
                      I was a regular seller on ebay, people knew I was honest from the parts I was selling and getting great feedback on. My bikes were as clean as they were going to get already and mechanical issues were honestly pointed out if there were any. An 18 hour drive was the best sale I had. He wanted the bike and could only find it on Ebay. Va was the closest buyer I had. Funny thing, honest listings with clear pics gave me good buyers every time. 6 in a row.
                      I used to part out the really bad ones, get my parts for free, ride a project until the next one was done and sell the other one. I paid my realestate taxes and rode for free. It was a nice hobby. I work so much now I just can't get anything done. I ride the 850, the field bomb is ready to hop on and ride but not sell and the other two just set and get worked on when I can.
                      People don't have any $ these days maybe old bikes that eat gas are out. Even I drive the 850,
                      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                      79 DT 100

Comment

I think the economy is part of the equation. People are buying Jet skis, big bass boats, motorcycles, etc. And like many of you have said, todays generation are all about technology and will never learn any hands on skills.
                        Ole jack
                        J.D."Jack" Smith
                        1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                        1978E straight job
                        "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Gone but not forgotten

I just sold my xs1100 Venturer to my buddy. I loved that bike. The only brand new bike I ever owned was an '81 650 Maxim and that thing was like a Maxim on steroids...big time. Unfortunately it was way too tall for me. So now I ride a V-star along with my old bike with my friend settin' on it. Old bikes are very kewl, but the new ones will be old someday so whatever, I guess. This site has been a miracle for me with that XS. We are going to change out the clutch this weekend on it. WEEEEEE!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X