fork brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork brace

Anyone know anything about this fork brace? I've only seen a couple and this one came off a set of forks from a smaller XS.

It seems to work as it should. The only problems, it's a PITA to install and the brake hose brackets don't fit anymore.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Yep, I've fooled with those before, just what you said, can't use the brake hose brackets anymore. I had to bend the brace slightly so it would not bind the forks with outward pressure, YMMV. Good brace though, does it's job.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

This one fit snug but I had no problem lining up the rotor slot on the right side (special).

I've not ever run a brace and couldn't bring myself to toss Tkat a $100 for something I wasn't sure of.

I like the way the front end feels now. Don't need to manhandle through corners anymore.

I'm sold.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        This one fit snug but I had no problem lining up the rotor slot on the right side (special).

I've not ever run a brace and couldn't bring myself to toss Tkat a $100 for something I wasn't sure of.

I like the way the front end feels now. Don't need to manhandle through corners anymore.

I'm sold.
        For sure, night and day difference. The one I worked on was on a Standard, they will probably fit both.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 06-05-2012, 07:29 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Xs650

I think.................

I've seen those on ebay as having come from an xs650.

Very old school.. Looks kind of neat.
          Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
          stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

The forks were smaller diameter tubes and had the smaller diameter rotors so I knew it was at least a 750-850 because it had a 19" wheel. I think the 650 had a smaller wheel. Didn't it?
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Wire spokes

Didnt 650s have wire spoke wheels?

I thought it must have been a 750 or 850 from the tapered front fender on it.

Brace looks like it got a nice paintjob.

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Yeah, the 650 did have spokes didn't it and that wheel was aluminum.

I did strip it and paint it JW but I kinda intercoursed up the paint putting it on. GEEZE what a PITA.

Not too bad though.

Thanks brother.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

FWIW, various years of XS650 had 3 or 4 different styles of wire-spoked wheels as well as the same pattern of 7-spoke cast wheels that are on the XS11.
                  All XS650s have 19" front wheels, any style of XS650 front wheel will bolt right onto an XS11.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

It's a XS650 brace. It will fit the XS11 just as easily as it does the XS650; especially the standard. The XS650 shares wheels with the XS11, and with the standard, it can share the front fender.

The downside to this brace is that it will add sticktion to the forks. It has to be carefully tweaked, as noted by BikerPhil. The TKAT and Tarozzi braces do not suffer from this.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Being a belt AND suspender kind of guy, I have one like that, and T-Kats type put on top. 80G. Since I never rode an 11 without one, I can't say what the improvement is.
                      My bike was a one owner, bought from the original owner, so I assume it was a dealer option, since the owner was a buy it and ride it type, as opposed to a "I'll put every accessary I can find on it" type.
                      The brake lines have what look like factory brackets holding them to the plate part of the brace. CZ

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

It's a XS650 brace. It will fit the XS11 just as easily as it does the XS650; especially the standard. The XS650 shares wheels with the XS11, and with the standard, it can share the front fender.
                        The one I have has a lot bigger plate where the mount holes are as you can see in the pic.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        The downside to this brace is that it will add sticktion to the forks. It has to be carefully tweaked, as noted by BikerPhil. The TKAT and Tarozzi braces do not suffer from this.
                        Ok, I'll bite. What the heck is "sticktion" ? I didn't have to force any bolts, everything lined up perfectly.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Forks are misaligned slightly not allowing telescoping action to occur smoothly causing them to stick slightly ! STICKTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Larry Walker

Ham Radio kw4a
                          ex Submarine Sailor (8 yrs)
                          Dirt Rider 1970-1980
                          Sreet Rider Touring 1980-2000
                          Couch Potato 2000-Present
                          1980 XS1100 Standard
                          1979 XS650 Special
                          2000 BMW R1150GS

Comment

Well mine don't seem to be sticktioning at all so I guess I'll just ride.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              Ok, I'll bite. What the heck is "sticktion" ? I didn't have to force any bolts, everything lined up perfectly.
                              From Wikipedia:
                              Stiction is the static friction that needs to be overcome to enable relative motion of stationary objects in contact.[1] The term is a portmanteau of the term "static friction",[2] perhaps also influenced by the verb "stick".
                              Here is the link: STICTION
                              I spelled it wrong in my previous post.

All of the telescoping forks on our bikes suffer from stiction. The hoop brace can make it worse. I didn't say "will", I said "can". When you set your laden sag, you measure the difference between the forks after falling, and after rising. Taking the average accounts for stiction.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X