No announcement yet.

Finished for the 2012 Riding Season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished for the 2012 Riding Season...

So after the seeping gas tank caused me to Unline and reline the gas tank. Which caused me to ruin the old paint. Which caused me to repaint the tank. Which didn't match the side covers. Which caused me to paint the side covers. Which made the emblems look like crud. Which caused me to repaint/rejuvenate the emblems.....

I was told I am done working on his bike for this riding season.....

Here are some pictures (click for larger views).... enjoy.....

Tank and side covers after painting:

Tank and Side Covers back on bike (along with recovered seat):

Emblems: repainted and Gold leafed

Emblems after clear coating:

If you look close you can see how the clear coat turned the gold more of a coppery pink. It is as if it drew the red up out of the paint..... But still looks really good on his bike.

Look what I found while messing with his bike..... not sure if he knew it was there, but wondering if this looks like the complete set??

So now my husband says I am done working on his bike for the riding season.... I am free to work on his saddlebags and fairing AFTER he can't ride anymore for the year. He was suffering from XS11 withdrawals I believe! LOL

Today..... Ride for Troops (and our wedding anniversary) 412 bikes plus some second riders, largest group for this ride in the 6 years it has been held. Lots of riders considering the eminent threat of rain (few very light showers but good day all in all). Tally of funds raised in our small area was a couple hundred shy of $20,000.

1979 XS1100 Special - since 2008
    1977 XS750 Special - since 1985

Bike looks awesome!! Great job on the paint and the emblems!!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

+1
      great job.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

When I redid my badges the first time I used just gold plastic model paint and they turned out looking very similar to the badges from a MNS. I liked them.

When I did my tank I used some acrylic gold leaf on the tank badges and they turned out kinda yellow. I'm gonna eventually redo them with the gold paint.

Your right though, the clear does seem to change the color a bit.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Looks fantastic

You guys rock!

Nice job on the emblems.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by zookey
            (and our wedding anniversary)
            Happy anniversary! (Belated though this message may be.) We are comming up on #38 in August.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

May I send my soon to be wife over to you for a while to get lessons? I wish SHE would paint my XS that well...

Looks great!
              1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

double-ended plastic dipstick

Originally posted by zookey View Post
                - - - Look what I found while messing with his bike..... not sure if he knew it was there, but wondering if this looks like the complete set?? - - -
                Hi Zookey,
                not an esoteric insult but what's missing from the tool kit. Along with a pair of slip-joint pliers, some smaller wrenches and the bar for the tube wrench.
                Except for the dipstick which helps you not to over-fill the middle & final drives, those wrenches best use is for a guide to the sizes of actual working wrenches that should be carried.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thank you all for the comments/compliments. Not many people around here can understand why I even bothered with it..... "It's a 30+ year old bike... the paint cost more than the bike is worth" as some put it. Well the bike may not be worth $thousands$ like some, but it is worth much more to my husband. I think he is happy now with how it looks, and has come to appreciate the time it took to get it done. Now he is looking for different saddle bags as the PO had modified this set and they don't shut right. But that can be a project done and still allow him to ride.

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi Zookey,
                  not an esoteric insult but what's missing from the tool kit. Along with a pair of slip-joint pliers, some smaller wrenches and the bar for the tube wrench.
                  Except for the dipstick which helps you not to over-fill the middle & final drives, those wrenches best use is for a guide to the sizes of actual working wrenches that should be carried.
                  Apparently the missing tools must have been used at one point and never been put back. I was just surprised to have found these in a plastic pouch, and considering the age that the plastic was not all stiff and cracked.

I suppose it would be handy if I put a set of tools together that could be carried.... not like this bike ever really breaks down, but always better to be safe than sorry. (now that I say that his bike never breaks down I suppose I have jinxed it..... )

Originally posted by jimbyjimb
                  May I send my soon to be wife over to you for a while to get lessons? I wish SHE would paint my XS that well...
                  Well, I don't know if there would be any real training.... We have been together for 20 years (married for 12) and I can see he loves the bike ALMOST as much as me..... so I learned to make him happy by sharing his passion for the bike(s).

They say "Those who play together, stay together" ..... I find that to be very true.

Originally posted by Jerry
                  Happy anniversary! (Belated though this message may be.) We are comming up on #38 in August.
                  Thank you for the anniversary wish. I look forward to seeing my 38th with my husband some day.... So many people don't make it that far these days. Seems that marriages are disposable in some peoples minds. -- But that is a whole different subject.

Comment

Hahaha, thanks for the advice! I take all I can get!

She likes to ride on the back of Alberta, but she doesn't like to actually ride on her own. Which is a shame because two-up isn't the greatest. But you have to do what you have to do!
                    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
                      Hahaha, thanks for the advice! I take all I can get!

She likes to ride on the back of Alberta, but she doesn't like to actually ride on her own. Which is a shame because two-up isn't the greatest. But you have to do what you have to do!
                      Don't count her out yet.... I rode solely behind my husband for the first 18 years we were together..... then got my license and my own bike, but we still ride 2-up from time to time.

Comment

More ladies riding all the time. This was a topic of discussion at the XS East rally. 8 of us went to the AMA Hall of Fame Museum near Toledo. 5 guys and 3 gals, not a bad ratio these days. I think 2 ladies rode their own bikes, 3rd was riding 2-up.

Most tend to HDs, HD has really marketed to women over the past few years and has picked up quite a large number of female customers. Glad to see a lady who is interested in the older iron!
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

True... There are many more women riding than there used to be. I did a MC safety class when I got my license and out of the 30 signed up I think 20 were women, 9 men, 1 young man who was under 18.

I have to confess though..... my motorcycle is an 82 Honda Nighthawk. The Yamahas belong to my husband and are both too tall for my short legs. Harleys do advertise to the woman, but I just like the bikes of days gone by. They have a "personality" that the new bikes just don't seem to have IMO. Maybe someday we will get a couple of newer bikes, but will never be able to get rid of any of our current bikes. They are like our children, but only more spoiled and pampered.

Comment

My first bike was a Nighthawk too.
                            LOVED it! Mine was the 450 though so not much power if there was a head wind... or going uphill (and if I had to both? forget it) lol

Went to a Yamaha FJ1100 after that (no problem with power on that one lol) and am now riding an XS. It's been lowered to accomodate my vertically challenged self.

It's been pretty cool to see the amount of women riders increase since I started riding 20 years ago. I still enjoy riding 2 up once in awhile, but I've certainly been spoiled with the number of riding positions available when riding solo.

Oh hey!
                            NICE job on the bike!
                            81 SH Something Special
                            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                            80 LG Black Magic
                            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                            For those on FB

Comment

That is cool Kat! My Nighthawk is a 650..... husband calls it a "wheelie machine" cut it has more snort than a bike that size should. Have not found anything that slows it down much (other than the threat of red and blue flashing lights).

I would definitely have to find a "lowered" version of any of the older Yamahas in order to ride them. I know newer ones are lower.... some are much much lower, but not sure I like the drag my but on the ground feeling of those. Really much prefer the older bikes by far....

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. Makes a heart feel good when the 30+ year old bike can look so good.

Now to start working on my Nighthawk!

Comment

Working...
                              X