Helmet replacement??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet replacement??

Was looking at helmets the other day and noticed the paperwork that was attatched. According to that company, you are suppose to replace your helmet: every 3 years, after a drop or impact, when the fit is no longer correct, when parts are broken, missing or worn (and a couple others that I can't remember right now)

So as I read this list it makes sense to replace a helmet after a drop or impact assuming that the helmet hits the ground with any great force as it may have damaged the integrity of the protective structure.

Also makes sense to replace if parts of the helmet are broken, missing or worn .... I am thinking the latching mechanisms primarily.

But this label also made some questions run through my mind so I thought I would ask here.

Do you guys really replace your helmets every 3 years? Would there really be a need to? and how do you know the helmet you are buying off the shelf has not set in a warehouse for more than 3 years?

How does a helmet no longer fit correctly? Unless you are talking about a youth helmet that needs to be sized up.....

So when you do replace a helmet, what do you do with your old one? Do you just throw it in the trash or is there a recycling place you can send it? (........or simply sell it on ebay to someone else? jk ) The reason I ask is we have a couple of old helmets around ...... they are undamaged but had non removable liners and the foam is just a black powdery mess in them. Too gross to ever wear, but can they be recycled?
    Last edited by zookey; 05-30-2012, 02:49 PM.
    1979 XS1100 Special - since 2008
    1977 XS750 Special - since 1985

I replace mine about every 5 yrs or maybe a little longer. I guess they get more brittle over time, ex. UV rays, and aren't as strong. Any new helmet you buy should have a mfg. date stamped on the inside somewhere. I just hang my old ones up in the garage for show or throw them out.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

According to this poll I posted a while back, the general concensus is between 2-5 years. The foam and padding starts to deteriorate with exposure to the elements and sweat. If they are no longer snug, because the padding is "deflated", that can cause the helmet to not fit right.

Helmets are model-year specific. You'll notice at any bike shop that the prices on helmets drop at the end of the year, in preparation for the new model year helmets. So generally, you won't find one that has been sitting around in a warehouse for a few years.

I have never heard of a helmet recycling place, so I agree with Phil on the end-of-life plans - hang it up for show or toss it in the trash.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        ...Helmets are model-year specific. You'll notice at any bike shop that the prices on helmets drop at the end of the year, in preparation for the new model year helmets. So generally, you won't find one that has been sitting around in a warehouse for a few years...
        That may be true with some of the exotic helmets but not with the average ones. Take the HJC CL-15 for example. That helmet has been on the market for many many years. Only minor changes made to it and hardly any noticeable ones year to year. I suspect they prices are lowered at the end of the year is to purge their inventory and so they dont have any on the shelf that are 2-3 years old as they do have a shelf date...

I've had my helmet for going on 4 years (CL-15) and I have replaced the shield and closure mechanism once because they wore out. I would not replace the entire helmet just because of those parts wore out, the closure mechanism was replaced months from buying the helmet! The pads are wore in but not to the point where the helmet doesn't fit correctly. I would much rather buy a new helmet at this point then spend the money to get new pads... one with less wind noise. If I ride all day my ears will ring like if I dont use my hearing protection with my riding lawnmower.
        Last edited by WMarshy; 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Actually, just like cars, ALL helmets are model-year specific. The names might not change, just like cars keep the same name for decades, but a 2011 helmet is going to be cheaper than a 2012 model.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Just bought a new helmet,HJC IS-33,but I doubt I'll go 5 years before I'll buy another.
            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Yeah 5 years is a long time. Guess it depends on how much you wear it. I dont do it conscientiously or for any particular reason but never go 5 years without buying one.

I have read something about donating them to fire stations, dont know though.
              Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Old one

I got one I wear all the time that's at least 5 yrs old, but still in good shape. Firm rubber foam for support and not deteriated but I always use a "Do rag" under it to keep the sweat off the foam or liner.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...