I have a rant!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a rant!!!!!

We lost a young Marine a few days ago, not a friend or an aquaintance, but he was the only child of a couple in Canby, Oregon. He was due to get married soon as well. What i need to know, and am going to find out, is since when do they let an only male child go into combat. It just pisses me off that this happens. I thought that was settled a long time ago. Bastards!!!
    Sorry, just real sour on this one.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

I think the military has (or had) a 'sole surviving child' rule, where if you had already lost their sibling(s), the remaining child was exempt. No rule for only children...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

This is america, you still have some free choice. He wasnt drafted. My nephew is an only son, he is in afghanistan. He volunteered for service.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.

There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

As stated above. We now have an all volunteer military.
          1979 XS1100SF
          2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

I understand your thoughts and the fact it is hurting to think of parents losing their only child. However, as others have eluded to and or stated, that was a rulign during the time of the draft. As the military is 100% volunteer, there is no rule of the sort anymore. Still sucks for the parents, never easy to bury your child, especially if it is the only one.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

There are some "rules" in affect to protect certain peoples from combat... but they are few and far between these days. The only child or only son rules left with the draft... If you are the only surviving Son you were not eligible to be drafted into a combat role, but You could still be drafted depending on skills and situations.

I attempted to enlist in the Army in 1997... I was not eligible for combat due to the fact that I'm the only son of a: highly decorated, combat disabled, Vietnam Vet.... these are about the only "rules" left in place to protect family lineage. I could have enlisted into a not combat eligible role... being 18 I wanted blow things up like my father did, it was not allowed, so my entry was denied. They never really explained it all to me very well... I think my Dad had more to do with it that He wanted to admit.

Never good to hear about parents burring children... Please pass on a thank you for his service and ultimate sacrifice for this great nation.
              Don
              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                I was not eligible for combat due to the fact that I'm the only son of a: highly decorated, combat disabled, Vietnam Vet.... these are about the only "rules" left in place to protect family lineage. I could have enlisted into a not combat eligible role... being 18 I wanted blow things up like my father did, it was not allowed, so my entry was denied. They never really explained it all to me very well... I think my Dad had more to do with it that He wanted to admit.
                I think your right. There was a guy in with me as an Infantry grunt. This guy had his foot ran over with a mower when he was 10 or 12, his one foot was a size 7 and missing half the instep. His other foot was 9-1/2. He wore out the outside of his boot on the small foot in basic training alone. However, he never dropped out of a run or march or anything. He refused to fail. He was sent to Germany. Unfortunately about 5 years later he had his 71 Cuda shipped over to Germany, and died on the autobon in it.

Anyway, point being, if your volunteering, they basically take whoever comes along. I do have a friend whose son was born with a heart defect, due to that they did refuse to take him.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

The service, ALL BRANCHES, are volunteer ONLY now. The young man chose to go in the marines, and in defending the country he lost his life.
                  It ALWAYS sucks when a your man dies, but he was doing what he thought was right. Being a vet myself, and a former paratrooper, I can understand his position. Please try to honor him, and his memory for what he has given. His life and memory of it should be a positive thing, though that WILL take some time for his family and loved ones to be able to understand.
                  The corps, or any branch of service, has their own creed. My guess is he died trying to keep a buddy alive, or in a roadside bomb that he didn't know was there. Please honor him.....
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

May God Bless...

...All of The Young Women & Men of Our Military that gave up all of their tomorrows so we may enjoy ours.

Sincerely, Thank You
                    Last edited by Schming; 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Remember a Veteran is someone who signed a blank check that included everything up to and including his/her life. While I did serve myself, it was during peacetime and other than from accident I was never actually in danger of my life, but I both know others and come from a long line of Veterans (my father served as did my son).
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

As I was a volunteer veteran,I know people sign on for many reasons,but the first and foremost reason for me and my friends was to serve and protect our great country. It's funny,I never realized how good we Americans have it,until I went to Germany,and that is one of the more civilized countries.God Bless our troops!! I'm not slamming Germany,it's a beautiful country,but when I was there in the late 70's,they were 20 yrs behind us.I'm sure that has changed now.
                        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. Although i understand all your feelings, the thought of possible ending a bloodline bothers me. Maybe there is another male of the fathers line, if not, that blood line is at a stop. I guess that is what bothers me most. Volunteer or not, there has to be some common sense when it comes to preserving a lineage.
                          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                          A quick death and an easy one.
                          A pretty girl and an honest one.
                          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I think your confusing bloodline for namesake. And Im sure there is an extended family. BTW women have blood also.
                            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Later

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                              As I was a volunteer veteran,I know people sign on for many reasons,but the first and foremost reason for me and my friends was to serve and protect our great country. It's funny,I never realized how good we Americans have it,until I went to Germany,and that is one of the more civilized countries.God Bless our troops!! I'm not slamming Germany,it's a beautiful country,but when I was there in the late 70's,they were 20 yrs behind us.I'm sure that has changed now.
                              I was in Germany in the late '50's when it was real bad. Most of the cities had big holes in the ground where factories used to be and no men over 15 yrs old which was a good thing. There were 11 girls for every guy and that included the GI's there and all of them girls would do ANYTHING for a GI boyfriend. Coupled with a 2 liter picher of 10% beer for 11 cents and all the girls you could handle and you can figure what I did with my free time.
                              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                              Drilled airbox
                              Tkat fork brace
                              Hardly mufflers
                              late model carbs
                              Newer style fuses
                              Oil pressure guage
                              Custom security system
                              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...