Couldn't help myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn't help myself!

I picked up another 78 with only 17k miles. Runs and shifts like a dream!

My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

nice job man. Good looking bike. mine only has 13k miles and doesnt even have the original paint.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

It's got a few nicks in the paint. I went to carquest with a side cover and the guy mixed up an ounce of touch-up paint pretty darn close to the original macho maroon. I was impressed! It should look good once I cover up the blemishes. The exhaust is original and not a dent in it anywhere!

Comment

Still the best looking of all of 'em IMO.....

May I be as so bold as to ask how much $$?
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Very nice! I wish I had that bike.
          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
          79 DT 100

Comment

He originally had it listed on craigslist for $2200 but dropped it down to $1800 and I talked him down to $1200. I still thought that was kind of high, but after riding it home, I am happy. I can't get over the shifting from this one and my other one. Like night and day. Also, the stock exhaust is much more quieter than the mac exhaust on my other one. No rust anywhere on the bottom of the stock exhaust. A little pitting on the inside of the headers. Carb boots still look in pretty good shape. It has the original battery tray and tool kit & and emergency kick starter. I did change the oil and filter. The oil looked clean. Middle and final drive fluids where clear as a whistle. The battery side cover still has the locking tab which works. Tires don't have any cracking and still have good tread on them. The rear one is pretty new. All lights and gauges are working. All & all, I'm happy with it.
            Last edited by mstic2000; 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Hard up front is not always a good thing.

Originally posted by mstic2000 View Post
              - - - Tires don't have any cracking and still have good tread on them. The rear one is pretty new. - - -
              Hi Matt,
              nice find! If you know the rear is pretty new you must be able to decode the tire's age stamp.
              But how old is the front? A front tire that looks good but is old enough for it's rubber to go all hard and lose it's grip can lead you into a world of hurt.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Matt,
                nice find! If you know the rear is pretty new you must be able to decode the tire's age stamp.
                But how old is the front? A front tire that looks good but is old enough for it's rubber to go all hard and lose it's grip can lead you into a world of hurt.
                Thanks for the heads up fredintoon. Yes, the front needs to be changed. Hard as a rock. Back tire is from 05. I got a parts bike that has Dunlop D404's on it that are from 08 and in great shape. Hardly any wear on them at all. I think the P.O. of the parts bike was going to do a full restore and gave up. I sure am glad he purchased new tires before he gave up on the project. Best $100 I spent on a full dresser parts bike & boxes & boxes of spare parts. I think he became disgruntled and just wanted to get rid of everything. I'll be changing them over before I do any serious riding.
                Last edited by mstic2000; 05-27-2012, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Almost forgot I had this in one of the garages among all my other junk.
                  The rest of it is in boxes. I was gonna stick a motor in it, but lost interest. The tires are in great shape.

Comment

Working...
                  X