I hate my Laptop. It died. ARGGGH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate my Laptop. It died. ARGGGH

My laptop died on Friday. It's funny how much for granted you take some of these things. I suppose 5-6years of use out of a laptop isn't bad at all, but it just kinda sucks when you what to go post stuff to the forum and poof, the thing just shuts off all by itself. So I turn it back on and anywhere from 2-80 seconds later, it shuts off again. (with the battery or without, no different)
    My phone is okay for browsing the forum, it just sucks at making entries and a real PITA for cut and paste (like IMGs)
    So I've had to wait 'til I get to work to type away.

I've got a line on a replacement laptop, but It might take a few more days, until then, I'll just have to suffer. Once I get the new one, I'll take the hard drive out of the old one and I've got one of those boxes that you can plug them in with a USB, so I'll have an external drive with all my stuff on it.

I just had to rant a little, sorry if you had to waste any of your time reading about my woes.

BTW, I did finish with the speedo (standard/special) swap mod that I was working on, got lots of pics, but without a computer it's kinda hard to post it all up. (can't get photobucket at work, some firewall thing and I already talked about the phone's abilities)
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Ben there, done that. We use a lot of laptops at work. One issue is licensing of programs; I use Photoshop Elements, Dream Weaver, Acrobat Pro, and others. Not always easy to unlicense the old hard drive and re-license the new one.

The external boxes (IDE or SATA to USB) actually work pretty well. Rosewill has a cheaper, more temporary solution that I use from time to time. It is "SATA or IDE 3-in-1 (5.25", 3.5", 2.5") to USB 2.0 Cable Converter Adapter" that costs about $18.00 and has a separate power supply for the drives. I use it for 1-time transfers of data from old drives to new ones. Easier than opening a case and installing the drive, cheaper, and for occasional use it is very convenient. Part number is RCW-608. Not as good as a case if you plan to use the old drive as a regular data drive.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Going to pick up a new one today. I should have it up and running by Tuesday night. THen I can post up all my weekend projects via photobucket.

The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.

Scarlet
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
        Going to pick up a new one today. I should have it up and running by Tuesday night. THen I can post up all my weekend projects via photobucket.
        There you go George. Throw money at it and the problem goes away
        I feel your pain. Mine died last year.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hey George,

Sorry to hear about the laptop, but one thing you may have not considered is that the POWER SUPPLY/adapter is shot?? The battery is probably shot as well and doesn't hold much of a charge, but just enough, so when it's in and plugged in, it'll run for the few seconds to 1 minute, and then finally die since it's actually not getting any juice from the plug in adapter??? JAT!

Of course Mobo's fry all the time, due to poor cooling design so the chips slowly get fried until they won't work anymore.

I spent Saturday finishing up the welding of the adapter pieces to get to the 2.25" OD needed for your mufflers to fit, then cleaned them up with the wire brush, wiped down with brake cleaner and then on Sunday painted them with the gray/silver VHT ceramic header paint, several coats. Since I don't have an oven large enough to cure them in, they will need to be cured on your bike. You'll need to allow and arrange for a few hours to be here after we put them on, they need to be fired at idle temps for 10 minutes, cool for 20 minutes, then fired again for 20 minutes, cooled for 20 minutes, then fired for 30 minutes at full operating temps, cooled for 30 minutes, then they will be cured and chemical resistant! I want to fire them WITHOUT putting the mufflers on first...should make some noise ....but while they are cooling we can clean and paint your right muffler before putting it back on! Did you find the header gaskets in the gasket kit??

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for all the encouraging words fellas.
            I needed a new one anyway, so I picked up a Compaq Monday.
            I'm sure I could probably salvage this old Toshiba, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth my time. I'm planning on getting all my files off the hard drive tonight.

I did check the power cord and it looked like I wa getting the right voltage.
            The problem occured wether the battery was in or not and even when I was just on the battery alone, so I think it may be something with the power systems on the main board. The funny thing is when I was on battery alone, the battery led on the front never lit up orange light it used to.
            When I went to plug it in, the battery led would light up orange, then go green in about 3 sec.

Anyway, that sucka is on the back burner for now. I've got two XS's that needs my TLC.

The Green Monster
            Got him in '04.

Scarlet
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
            Cold weather ride

Comment

If my old laptop ever dies in my garage I will wish it well and buy a newer one. I think I have 4 yrs out of an old throw away my son used to have. Personally the XS site and the laptop in the garage have saved me enough money, be it in parts, experience or just being able to see the site when doing the second gear fix to be more than having paid for itself.
              I know some have to deal with money on a daily time frame but having a puter in my garage has saved me far more than the cost. I would find a way to have puter available to me some way or some how.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
              X