Centerstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centerstand

Why does a lot of people wind up taking the centerstand off of these bikes? My xs1100 and xs750 have had the center stand taken off sometime in life and are not on there. Do they drag/scrape easy? How do people check the oil level without one? Anyone have one to sell?
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

There are a lot of aftermarket exhausts over the years that don't work with the centerstand. I've heard that the legs of the stand do scrape first when cornering, but that's not the case with my '81. Some, it may have just been a matter of aesthetics or decreasing the weight by a few pounds.

Even though I have a center stand, I just pick the bike up off the sidestand to about straight up, and hold it there while I look at the oil level? I see them on Ebay all the time, though someone might hook you up here cheaper.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I took mine off for aesthetics and to shave a few pounds, but I can slip the bolts through and have the bike on the stand at home in less than a minute. They're nice for oil level or cam chain tensioner work.
      1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
      Airbox w/K&N element
      Jardine 4 into 1
      145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
      1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
      1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        Even though I have a center stand, I just pick the bike up off the sidestand to about straight up, and hold it there while I look at the oil level
        +1
        That's how we do it here too
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Hi Jeff,
          For checking the oil. I have a mirror on a stick Don't even have to get off to check the oil level
          Addie does have a centre stand but i think some PO changed it for a shorter one so a real bitch to get on or off. Yes ! They do come in different lengths, if you are looking for a replacement.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
            ...Addie does have a centre stand but i think some PO changed it for a shorter one so a real bitch to get on or off. Yes ! They do come in different lengths, if you are looking for a replacement.
            Phil
            Nope, they're all the same length.... look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36551 for the differences...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I heard it has to be on the centerstand to get the oil level right, i dont know though cause i dont know how high it raises the back wheel and how that would affect the level. I check mine now just holding the bike straight up and if that is fine, i will continue to do that. I wouldnt even need a centerstand, I only wanted one if it was needed to check the oil right.
              Jeff
              77 XS750 2D completely stock
              79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Nope, they're all the same length.... look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36551 for the differences...
                Hi Steve,
                Thanks for the picture and dimensions for stand. I have the 81H with 6 1/2 so apparently the correct stand. Any ideas why the bike has to be lifted 1 1/2 inches to get over the hump when putting on stand. I can not do it alone either on or off. Rear tire touches the ground when on the centre stand.
                Phil
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Shock length?

Is the shock length off an inch?

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hi Steve,
                    Thanks for the picture and dimensions for stand. I have the 81H with 6 1/2 so apparently the correct stand. Any ideas why the bike has to be lifted 1 1/2 inches to get over the hump when putting on stand. I can not do it alone either on or off. Rear tire touches the ground when on the centre stand.
                    Phil
                    Having the same model, the rear tire is a couple inches off the ground when on the centerstand, which is the stand I use most all the time. Might look underside and make sure the stand mount isn't pulling loose from the frame on the backside.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                      Why does a lot of people wind up taking the centerstand off of these bikes? My xs1100 and xs750 have had the center stand taken off sometime in life and are not on there. Do they drag/scrape easy? How do people check the oil level without one? Anyone have one to sell?
                      Hi Jeff,
                      I took mine off to use it's frame mounting points as two of my sidecar subframe attachment points.
                      Like my Special 'trees and gas tank, I'm keeping the stand in case I need to swap the bike back to solo use and original spec.
                      Except for the rototiller bars. Anyone wants those back on he can go find his own.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Steve,
                        Phil
                        Depending on the rear tire I have on, the rear tire is anywhere from 1 1/2 to 4 inches above the ground on the center stand (with the closest I can get to the stock tire size in a S11 it's maybe an inch and a half, with the 130/70 17 the PO had on it it was about 4 inches above the ground). I'm guessing that with the original stock tire it was a little bit close to the ground, but not really much more).
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                          Depending on the rear tire I have on, the rear tire is anywhere from 1 1/2 to 4 inches above the ground on the center stand (with the closest I can get to the stock tire size in a S11 it's maybe an inch and a half, with the 130/70 17 the PO had on it it was about 4 inches above the ground). I'm guessing that with the original stock tire it was a little bit close to the ground, but not really much more).
                          Hi Cy,
                          I have an S11 on at the moment.
                          Phil
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                          X