Wobble. POed again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobble. POed again...

When I bought the XJ11 I knew there were things to fix but I had no idea how one vehicle that hadn't been chopped by an amateur could have so many things done wrong to it. I've put hundreds of hours into this restoration since late 2010 and still I keep exhuming idiot things the PO did. The most recent I found last night but I have to kick myself as well for not going over every single bolt & nut before driving it in the first place but who does that when they buy a vehicle? You look to fix the obvious.

OK, so I have a list of things to do to make the bike both look right & be back to stock again. I keep whittling down at the list & last night I get to the "De-rust Chrome on front axle bolt & Castle Nut" job and I'd already replaced the rusty cotters with SS cotters but hadn't undone the nut. So I remove the SS cotter and just out of habit & before I removed the castle nut I thumbed off a bit of grime on the nut & instead of letting me push the grime off, the castle nut rotated... The idiot PO didn't even put the nut on finger tight, just put it on & cottered it.

I've always thought the bike was a tad unsteady going slowly in slow circles/parking & one time I was tightening a glove & had both hands off the handlebars for a second and the bike immediately started wobbling violently at lower speeds. I tried it again to see if it was the road & no, it happened every time. My 650 doesn't do this. Now I know why... I torqued the castle nut to I forget, 75 pounds of torque, whatever the # the manual says, and it's like it's a different bike with none of the wobble issues.

I'm putting on new tires so I'd have found this out then but this PO was amazing, he did so much incompetent stuff to this bike. Thank God most sellers aren't as bad as this one.
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
    - - - this PO was amazing, he did so much incompetent stuff to this bike. Thank God most sellers aren't as bad as this one.
    Hi KA,
    at least he didn't hardtail it, eh?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yep, it is AMAZING what some people do and think "ahh...good enough!"

Which is why I always suggest folks go through the ENTIRE maintenance section of the manual before taking a new to you bike out for a stroll. I know I was both amazd and appalled at what I found when I did this with Banshee, like rear brake pads worn halfway through the metal (not the pad material, not the rivets, the metal material of the pads!!) A cracked rear rotor due to the matal on metal heat developed (cracked S/S rotor?!!) could go on and on just like you.

Thanks for the reminder to all that you should never assume the PO did anything they said they did, or that they did it correctly.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I guess I am very fortune, My PO was very anal about his ,or should I say my bike. Don't get me wrong,my mufflers were rotted out,and the carbs needed work,but all in all,my bike was as close to new as a 32 yr old bike could be.BUT,paid a premium price to get that.Guess it was a wash.
        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

My Dad was the Original owner of my XS... and was an anal person. BUT... I've found some stuff on the bike in the last year that made me look to the heavens and yell "are you F'n kidding me?!" "What the hell were you thinkin here?!" So don't feel bad, great people mess things up all the time!
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
          X