More paint!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More paint!

My boss recently decided to change the look of his Road King with some extended hard bags, and Bad Dad integral light fender (and bags). Since all the parts come in gel coat only, it's more painting for me! This stuff is really cool, though, since the lights are formed into fender itself, so there are no lights sticking out when it is done, and you can paint.

Anyway, on to the pics!

first paint, base coat and clear coat

The airbrushing idea was taken from a t-shirt, so not my own idea. But it was what the customer ordered:

He decided to fade the airbrush work further just before we cleared, so I knocked it back a black wash. Then sanded everything and clearcoated again.

Just got some color sanding left, and this thing should roll!!
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

definately dadaz man. I would love you to do mine!
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Got it done! In my opinion, this is how glossy paint should look:

Thanks for following along!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Since you went all harley, when ya gonna change to a flat bill?
        Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Wow, great work. I want the bat from the Captin Fantastic album art, I'll bet you are too young to remember that.
          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
          79 DT 100

Comment

Hey, whatever you want Garrett. Just send it out!

Comment

No orange peel in black paint=some damn fine work! Looks awesome, man!
              Richard
              '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
              '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

If I only had a little of your talent...
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

you do great work,can see you take great pride in your craft.Only wish I was that talented in painting.It would cost me more than what I have in the bike to get mine done by my painter and yes I have quite a bit in it already.Oh well,can't take it with ya.
                  FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                  1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                  1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Well, the only reason I took up hobby painting was because I couldn't afford custom paint, either. It was good motivation, though!

Greg, it wasn't perfectly orange peel free, either. If you look at the last pic before the parts are on the bike, there is some peel in the fender. I spent some quality time with some sandpaper and a buffer getting it all just right!

Comment

Working...
                    X