insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insurance

hi all !1 i live in Ontario Canada and i think we need Florida style insurance here! i Florida you can pick your months to insure your bike! sounds very reasonable! here you are forced to insure year round in a place where its almost impossible to ride all year ! never mind the high rates ,,any thoughts on this besides move to FLA,, ride safe slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
    hi all !1 i live in Ontario Canada and i think we need Florida style insurance here! i Florida you can pick your months to insure your bike! sounds very reasonable! here you are forced to insure year round in a place where its almost impossible to ride all year ! never mind the high rates ,,any thoughts on this besides move to FLA,, ride safe slow mo!
    Hi slow mo,
    Move out to sunny Saskatchewan! Where you can buy antique insurance on vehicles 30+ years old for ~$100 a year and also buy as little as a month's worth.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Even here in the US several states require 12 months and some companies only sell 12 month policies also you have to be careful and read what you really get for coverage some people. I am sure may assume they are covered just to find out that if they put their 12 year old grandson on the back there is no medical coverage for them. Worse they find there is a 2000.00 max limit on medical coverage to the rider even though they pay an extra 100 per month for medical. Lots of little got you's no matter where you are. Fredintoon they have antique insurance and plates here in Virginia but they also put severe restrictions on use how many miles and distance from home etc. so if you have antique plates and go outside the bounds you can get ticketed for that and I imagine if you are out of bounds the insurance will not cover you.
      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
      1980 G Silverbird
      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
      1198 Overbore kit
      Grizzly 660 ACCT
      Barnett Clutch Springs
      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
      122.5 Main Jets
      ACCT Mod
      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
      Antivibe Bar ends
      Rear trunk add-on
      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Do some checking. Here in Oklahoma, with Allstate, I've just always called them up and told them to add a bike with just liability. Liability runs me $75 a year. I figured it would be a waste of money for full coverage, so I never even checked on it until recently. I asked them just for giggles to tell me how much full coverage for one would be. With a $250 deductible, my insurance went from $75 a year to........ $77.50!! lol. I'm sure they won't give me much money for one of these old bikes, but if I wreck it good (Bad?) maybe it won't all have to come out of my pocket to fix it. Mind you, this is without medical.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

In WA we only get billed for 9 out of 12 months standard... In WA we are not required to have insurance. But my neighbors to the south in OR require it. So I have to have it to cross the bridge. I carry liability on both my bikes. OR state minimum thru Foremost Insurance. Costs me $84 a year total for both bikes.
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Insurance

O.K., you guys got me wondering about my coverage so I looked it up.
            For my two bikes here in WV I have liability only for all 12 months.
            Coverage: [includes the Uninsured motorist]
            Bodily Injury- $20,000 each person, $40,000 each occurrence
            Property Damage - $10,000 each occurrence
            No physical damage for neither of MY bikes , No towing and labor for my bikes, ---- this is the "cheapest" policy [cheapest coverage also] that I could find. -- --- NOT FOR EVERYBODY---- I was trying to save a nickel!
            Two bikes, all 12 months, Nationwide Ins. Co. $100.55 per year.
            I suppose that if I wreck, my bikes, my and my passenger's injuries are all SOL --- Liability Only ---
            I do have excellent insurance thru my employer for my family, which would help on the med. bills. I also have two life insurance policys on myself, one on the wife.
            As mentioned --- Not for Everyone, --- 'Just the cheapest coverage/policy that keeps me "legal".
            BTW -- 'Can't ride year 'round here either!
            Greg C.
            '86 GL1200-Aspencade
            '93 KLX650-C

Comment

FL MC Insurance

Actually Slow Mo,
              In FL you're not required to carry MC insurance at all. The only insurance required of MC riders is $10k of health insurance if you want to go lidless. Otherwise, no insurance required. And $10k of health insurance won't even cover the medevac if you're in a major accident. I don't carry any insurance on mine, can't afford it at this time.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                Actually Slow Mo,
                In FL you're not required to carry MC insurance at all. The only insurance required of MC riders is $10k of health insurance if you want to go lidless. Otherwise, no insurance required. And $10k of health insurance won't even cover the medevac if you're in a major accident. I don't carry any insurance on mine, can't afford it at this time.
                10k won't even cover the ER visit even without a medivac, believe me, I know. My accident ran up a 37,000 bill for the ER, that didn't count the ambulance or any after care, or even the DR in the ER, that was JUST the ER services. And the guy who hit me only had 15,000 for personal injury as required by Ca law, which left me holding the bag for the rest. Fortunately I have underinsured motorist coverage that gave another 15,000, then after they paid out to me, and before I paid the ER my health insurance decided to pay the ER bill after all (they don't normally, they expect the auto insurance to pay). I'm increasing my underinsured coverage to 120,000 as soon as I get a job again. (haven't been able to work since the accident).
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Slow Mo. Give Blue circle a call at 1-866-770-4999. I have yet to call them myself but my insurance agent gave me the name and number Apparently all they insure is motorcycles. I asked about possibly insuring only one bike at a time as I have a few but am the only licensed driver in the house. She told me if anyone would do it in Canada they would. So maybe you will find something suitable there. Good Luck.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                  X