Good, inexpensive soldering iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, inexpensive soldering iron?

I need to do some more repairs to my leftside controls, I think I do have a busted solder point. Need to pull it off this weekend when I'm not riding it and look at it. I used to have several soldering irons, all of them cheap, but I have no idea where they are now. I need to buy another one, one that's decent but under $50 . Does anything like that exist? Any recommendations?
    XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

I just picked up one at oreillys. It was like 20 bucks and came with sodder and flux
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

If you're doing those left hand lighting controls, you may want a solder gun vice an iron. I tried using an iron and It couldn't get hot enough to work, so I went to harbor frieght and got a gun. (wasn't too much - around $20)
      the iron just wouldn't melt the existing solder very good whereas the gun did it in short order. Just try not to get it too hot, those plastic pieces that hold all those solder points can start to melt.
      Maybe having a second person to help hold stuff might be helpful (or at least some type of clamp/clip to help)
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

I would go buy a cheap 10 watt soldering iron at Radio Shack and give that a try. It should provide enough heat without doing any damage.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I never have much luck with the guns. They end up dying on me. I got my soldering iron from Radio Shack, and used it on my left controls just fine. If you have trouble with the initial melting, try adding a drop of freshly melted new solder. It will break the tension and get things melting better. This one is probably the newer equivalent to what I actually got, and is only $10. If you want to ramp it up a bit, for $52, there is this one.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Maybe that was my issue, was that I had a crappy iron, and was so fustrated that I went for the BFG (Big Freaking Gun), sure it might have been too much and maybe that's why I started to melt things, but I ended up getting it done and I only broke my left mirror in the process. (Maybe I should have taken the whole switch off the bike to do the repairs)
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Here you go....

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-D550PK-.../dp/B00002N7S1

I got one of these years ago (mid 60s, to build slot cars) and still have it. Still works great too. I've replaced a few tips over the years, but that's it! Unlike the 'pencils', there's no heating element to burn out. They do have a 'duty cycle', but that's never been a problem.

A bit big for electronics work, but perfect for electrical. Those small-wattage pencil irons don't always put enough heat in quickly enough to get a good solder joint. I've got a couple of those, but rarely use them.
              Last edited by crazy steve; 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Personally I prefer gas irons. I've had one of these for years and never had any issues. I do a lot of work on roof tops where plug in power isnt always available, and these are just the ticket for that.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103146571

A little pricey perhaps but then I'm not sure Good, and Inexpensive belong in the same sentence anyway.
                Last edited by b.walker5; 05-10-2012, 04:31 AM.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I have guns and irons, but I really love my bernz-o-matic soldering iron tip cause it heats up super hot super fast, though having an open flame around my XS doesn't seem so appealing...

The mini-torch comes with a soldering tip. Runs on butane too. Good for roadtrips since you can use it to light up a stogie 'round the campfire!

http://www.bernzomatic.com/products/...i-torches.aspx
                  1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

You know, I had a portable butane soldering iron years ago that worked incredibly well... maybe I'll give that a try.
                    XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

The Bernzie's are great too because they're real torches with multiple uses, not just specific to soldering or whatnot. I adjust the flame on mine to the lowest setting because it seems that above halfway on flame power will choke it out with the soldering tip on. I have the bigger of the two torches shown in the link I posted. The small one looks pretty cool though! Very packable for road repairs/stogie lighting!
                      1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

My boss uses a butane soldering iron all the time. Great for mobile applications if you don't always take the work to a bench. Heck, for $10 at Home Depot, I might just get one myself!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          Here you go....

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-D550PK-.../dp/B00002N7S1

I got one of these years ago....
                          I bought one of these brand new and it quit on me with in a couple weeks for no reason at all. I imagine they used to be a much better product. I bought a Que digital solder station for $50. It is very high quality. I absolutely love it.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

One thing you need to check on these is making sure the tip 'retaining nuts' are tight. If they get even a little bit loose they won't heat up, leading you to think the gun has failed.
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

"mid 60s, to build slot cars"

WOW! Haven't heard about slot cars for decades! Used to be a place in Vancouver where you could rent time on about a dozen different tracks to play with your toys. I think I had about 3 or 4 cars. Thanks for the nostalgia bump.
                              1980 XS 1100 Special
                              Mostly stock & original
                              Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
                              Torpedo bags
                              New paint (still) pending
                              Stainless brake lines
                              Tkat forkbrace
                              Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
                              1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
                              1977 Yamaha 650

Comment