Cinco de Mayo mods to the Softail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinco de Mayo mods to the Softail

I was in Laughlin, Nevada for the River Run last week, and saw a lot of this "Vicla" style being ridden around. I got back and decided to up my game toward that style. I gots fast bikes, and this one is my cruiser, so might as well go the lead sled look all the way!

33" Samson Longtails, installed:

Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Hmmmmm...........an XS is gonna step on that tail.

Fishing anyone?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

There is no doubt the XS will outperform this old girl, except perhaps in pure cruising style. I've ridden it with my Dad on his KZ900, and there was no comparison in street performance, even when it rode at stock height with the short pipes. But, I didn't buy this one for its outright street performance, I wanted something that I could ride legally, and haul some stuff on, and be really comfortable--and so since it has to go slow, it might as well look the part!

I will say it makes a great cruiser, too. I can kick back with my legs fully out (and I'm 6') and roll at a steady 85 for hours at a time.

And the pipes are functionally to protect my hearing. They move the sound further back..........at least that's what I told my wife

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

You need to add flamethrowers to those mufflers.... That'll keep anybody trying to step on the pipes at bay...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
          I was in Laughlin, Nevada for the River Run last week, and saw a lot of this "Vicla" style being ridden around. I got back and decided to up my game toward that style. I gots fast bikes, and this one is my cruiser, so might as well go the lead sled look all the way! - - -
          Hi T99,
          with the fishtails that far back should you not have marker lights on them?
          And does it also jump up and down on it's shocks?
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ha ha! I hadn't even thought about needing markers...better check my local laws!

Comment

I must say that you are one versatile biker. After seeing your other work I admit that seeing this bike was a huge suprise to me. Personally it is not to my taste whatsoever. But as it is your ride you do what you want.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Well, I have to say that the longer I am around bikes, the less I believe in 'all purpose' machines. The more general they are, worse they are at each specific type of riding. So I have to have one of all of them!

Gotta admit, though, the cruiser style bike is not the one I am most drawn to.

Comment

i would probably be the first one to walk behind your bike and trip over the pipes and break my leg. Trip over one and get impaled by the other.
                  Jeff
                  77 XS750 2D completely stock
                  79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Got on the crown jewel of the look I am going for over the weekend. Following the Cholo pipes, I got in my 1 1/4" Burley 40" beach bars. Slammed them down as far as they can go, and the SoCal Vicla is cruzin. This thing is a pure blast to roll around on, even if it is a skinny white kid on its back!

Pics from tonight:

Ha, I love this thing!

Comment

I love the bars, but I feel like I want to hang a red rag on the end of those longass pipes! Here in Pa that's what you have to do when your load hangs out of yer pickup.
                      It is a nice looking bike.
                      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                      79 DT 100

Comment

That bike is nutz. One sweeet lookin ride. The pipes made me giggle though. I'd probably fubar tham backing in to a parking spot.
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

Thanks guys!

It is a ton of fun and it makes me laugh every time I ride it. Can't take yourself too seriously, though. The pipes sound really cool, kinda like old lake hot rod pipes.

I think I'm going to make/ buy some little orange cones to carry with and stick behind them when I'm parked, just for fun.

It's definitely fun to cruise around on!

Comment

I say put wheels on the pipes ,wheelie bars ,just in case.Safety first
                            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

that bike is gorgeous
                              1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
                              1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

Past Rides:
                              1977 Yamaha XS400

Comment

Working...