Getting it ready for the 2012 season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting it ready for the 2012 season!

Just added my new plate...anyone else do one of these?

1980 XS1100
    1997 Ural Sportsman (2-wheel drive)
    1975 Kawasaki F7-175 Enduro

In Virginia, they offer Antique Plates, no yearly re-registration required, no yearly inspections, but you are limited in how many miles a year, and how often you ride it....because it's supposed to be for a vehicle that is only used occasionally, not a daily rider. I've been thinking about getting one, but I was told I couldn't get a personalized one, but then I met a fellow XSive locally and he had a personalized one! Could end up saving me over $60.00 a year on registration and inspection fees!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Mine was $35 and now I will have no further registration fees. They don't limit ours in WA on miles, just say it can't be a daily driver. Weekends, or to/from events, etc. I've never known anyone to be pulled over for driving a car or bike with a collector plate too much. Here is the rest of my bike, just a stock XS1100 special.

1980 XS1100
      1997 Ural Sportsman (2-wheel drive)
      1975 Kawasaki F7-175 Enduro

Comment

I've got one on one of my 78s, plan to put one on the other too. Here in Washington, you have to choose between vanity and antique plates. The antiques are a one-time expense, but the vanity plates have yearly fees, and higher than 'regular' plates to boot. I quit those a few years back, too much $$....

I even put an antique plate on my beater '76 truck, as I rarely drive it on public roads anymore so that's going to be a money-saver.
        Last edited by crazy steve; 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by JLeeper View Post
          Mine was $35 and now I will have no further registration fees. They don't limit ours in WA on miles, just say it can't be a daily driver. Weekends, or to/from events, etc. I've never known anyone to be pulled over for driving a car or bike with a collector plate too much. Here is the rest of my bike, just a stock XS1100 special.

Nice looking SG.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I got a historic tag for one of my Fs today. I have xs11 on a midnight and had xs1100 but lst it. I was asking about replacing it today and the personalized plates are $100 and an extra $100 every two years on top of the normqal fee.

Effin Martin O'Mally is taxing me to death
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

There are limits here on use and miles of collector and antique plates. You also cannot drive a vehicle with those plates in January (might also be February, dont remember).

I pay about $25 every 2 years for my registration for regular plates.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I may be wrong so don't quote me... I believe in WA state we are limited on yearly mileage too... or maybe that was for collector car insurance... I don't remember. I do know this... a collector plated truck is not allowed to tow ANYTHING! I'm sure you don't need to ask how I know

I've been kicking around doing a vanity plate on "Old Man" but I do like the collector plate Idea... all of my classic cars have had a collectors plate as they never saw much road time so it was nice to be able to pull one out and drive it and not have johnny law pull me over cuz I never checked the tags
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                  I may be wrong so don't quote me... I believe in WA state we are limited on yearly mileage too...
                  That was true (it was a 3K miles per year limit), but they gave up on that as there really wasn't any way to monitor it. The 'restriction' now is you're only 'allowed' to go to/from 'events' (shows, clubs, etc) and this great catch-all phrase 'for the enjoyment of others' which can mean pretty much anything you want. The only real limit is you're not supposed to use the vehicle for daily transportation, and as I'm retired, that's not an issue for me. I suppose if a local LEO saw you on a too-regular basis you might have a problem, but for pleasure use they'd have a hard time making anything stick.

The license lady gave me a hard time when I got the plate for my truck, insisting that I couldn't put anything in the bed, but when I pointed out that it was acceptable to carry things in a car to/from events or for pleasure use, she didn't have an answer. My truck only gets driven on public roads maybe 5-6 times a year, I doubt if that will get me busted....
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    That was true (it was a 3K miles per year limit), but they gave up on that as there really wasn't any way to monitor it. The 'restriction' now is you're only 'allowed' to go to/from 'events' (shows, clubs, etc) and this great catch-all phrase 'for the enjoyment of others' which can mean pretty much anything you want. The only real limit is you're not supposed to use the vehicle for daily transportation, and as I'm retired, that's not an issue for me. I suppose if a local LEO saw you on a too-regular basis you might have a problem, but for pleasure use they'd have a hard time making anything stick.

The license lady gave me a hard time when I got the plate for my truck, insisting that I couldn't put anything in the bed, but when I pointed out that it was acceptable to carry things in a car to/from events or for pleasure use, she didn't have an answer. My truck only gets driven on public roads maybe 5-6 times a year, I doubt if that will get me busted....

Ya I just looked it up on the DOL site... and any bike ride is for "enjoyment" in my book! especially in our neck of the woods think when my tags are up in Sept I'm gonna go get a collector plate for "Old Man" just makes things simple
                    Don
                    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

In Ohio, on historical plates they cost $3.50 for lifetime registration...

"These plates may be issued to any Ohio motorist. The vehicle must be 25 years of age or older. It is a collector's vehicle used in participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, but NOT for general transportation."

The way I see it, any time I ride with another SWOXS rider is a club event. And any rides for pleasure are exhibition.

My Cutlass has collector plates on it. Started out years ago to avoid the emissions checks. Collector plates do not require them in Ohio (when they had the E-checks). Of course now they do not do it anymore, but we have personalized Collector plates on it anyway. Cost is $110 a year using the same plate.
                      Last edited by DGXSER; 05-05-2012, 06:47 AM.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I second that Don....

I only put 1,000 to 2,000 miles a year on Old Man... and the DOL is taking me for about $45 a year for tags on him. Now with Izzy in the stable Old Man will be more reserved for sightseeing trips and vacation getaways with SWMBO. So a Collectors plate will suit him just fine
                        Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I was going to get the historic plates on my MNS, but here in MO, you are limited to 1000 mi/yr, and you must carry a mileage log in/on the vehicle at all times, recording at least weekly mileage. There again, it's only supposed to be used for events and such, but there is no real way to verify that. They CAN track your mileage though. The first time a cop pulls you over and asks to see the log, you'd be sunk. I'd be past the mileage limit by the end of March! The historic plates are paid annually, same price as the regular plates, but no inspection required. You can also get them personalized, AFAIK.

I decided to go with the regular personalized plates instead. I have to pay the $10 inspection fee, and something like $45 for the plates/registration every 2 years.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

hey gsxer, I figure that emissions stuff will make it here to wv shortly. We dont have it yet and if we did, half the cars would be off the road. We have a LOT of muslecars and engine swaps around here that arent old enough to be exempt and would not pass emissions.
                            Jeff
                            77 XS750 2D completely stock
                            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Wow

I thought Cantaffordya was picky about EPA things. Here a vehicle only has to pass the smog test that was in force when the vehicle was first sold. So there is no smog test or inspection for the '78 Pathfinder and registration fees weren't shocking or I would remember what it was, something like 50 or 60 bucks. Because I do at least 15000 mi/yr I couldn't do the antique plate thing and I don't even know what the regs are here in Ca Ca land.
                              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                              Drilled airbox
                              Tkat fork brace
                              Hardly mufflers
                              late model carbs
                              Newer style fuses
                              Oil pressure guage
                              Custom security system
                              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...