New to xs11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to xs11

What's up xs'ers. I am new to these bikes (and bikes in general), I picked up an '82 1100xj about a month ago now for $1k and have been loving it. It has 38k on the clock, and I bought it completely ready to roll and in wonderful condition. The only thing that doesn't function is that the front brake does not turn the brake light on.. I will be looking into fixing this flaw.

I might poke my little brother to join this site as well, he picked up a 750 MNS a couple of months ago, a little bit of work to get that one looking tip top but it runs pretty well and has some sick 2-1 jardine pipes on it that sound/look awesome!

I have a couple of pictures, they aren't any good but i will definitely be taking better ones once finals let up on me in a week!

Back seat-rest is off, and also the windshield knobs that were on the bars but that's about all i have done so far.

And this is what grabbed my eye when I was driving on the way to work

Let me know what you guys think!!
    - Sam

If you got that bike in that condition and running good, ya stole it!!!

Welcome!
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

very nice bike! You definately got a good deal. I have about $540 in mine now and ride it all the time, but it still needs tuning.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

You got a great deal on that one. Very nice looking XJ there!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Welcome

Welcome you have found a great site! That's a very nice bike!
          82 XJ1100J
          81 Venturer
          Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Originally posted by wazimoto View Post
            the front brake does not turn the brake light on.. I will be looking into fixing this flaw
            Check the front stop switch assembly, part#1 in the fiche below. The switch functions backwards, button pushed in = open, button out = closed. If you need a replacement, there are aftermarket switches available for less than half the cost of the OEM unit. It may just need the connections cleaned, good luck, nice bike.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...VER/parts.html
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Nice bike!! The first picture made me think you had installed some kind of yellow fairing on the front, until I realized that was just the bike behind it!

Just to clarify, the official model number of that bike is "XJ1100J". Most just drop the last J, since there were no other variations like the XS1100's had. If you need a manual, you can download one from the link in my signature.

Your brother might get more help from the triples forum for his 750 though. They are similar to the 1100's in some ways but very different in many others.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Welcome to the site neighbor
                Very nice looking XJ
                XJ1100 Ruby Red
                XS1100LH "Midnight"
                1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes everybody!

Also thanks for the help regarding the front stop switch assembly, it would be nice to know people can see that I am making a stop if i am not using the rear brake. I will start digging into that sunday at the earliest so I might post up a question then if i can't get it figured out.

And thanks catatonic bug, ill make sure to send my bro over to the triples forum as well!

This seems like a pretty nice place to hang out and talk about bikes

Comment

WOW,nice looking XJ. Welcome to the madhouse,great place to learn about your bike.Are you new to riding? If so,you and your bro might think about taking a riders course together.These are pretty fast bikes.
                    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Yes cuda both my brother and I are new to riding. He starts a basic rider safety course in a week, but I am not enrolled in a class yet because they were booked out around us for a month or two since I just basically bought the bike out of the blue a few weeks ago. I will be checking around in the next couple of days to see when an opening is but for now I am just riding on my permit.. I want to cruise at night so badly!

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      Nice bike!! The first picture made me think you had installed some kind of yellow fairing on the front, until I realized that was just the bike behind it!

Just to clarify, the official model number of that bike is "XJ1100J". Most just drop the last J, since there were no other variations like the XS1100's had. If you need a manual, you can download one from the link in my signature.

Your brother might get more help from the triples forum for his 750 though. They are similar to the 1100's in some ways but very different in many others.
                      Haha i was confused when you suggested i have my brother look at the triples forum because i thought to myself.. I know his bike is a 4cyl... Then i realized i misused the acronym MNS. What he does have though is an '83 midnight maxim 750 (don't know if the midnight came in other cc's) Here are a few pics of it

Comment

XJbikes.com

It's certainly worth a look.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Midnight Maxim 750 that you have is 4 cyls not 3 give away are the header pipes so that has to be an 82 also.
                          Welcome to CH11...you have yourself a fine example of an XJ for relatively little money. That always kills me 'cause I bought my XJ brand new in early '83and paid the full price of admission...but regardless of how you got here glad to have another XJ owner thats going to preserve this classic machine.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The only XJ70 Midnight Maxim was an 83. I believe the XJ
                            650 may have been released in 82.

If you really want to know about the XJ's in general you can try and read "The Information Overload Hour"

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=27544.html

By the way nice looking bike. My wife currently has both bikes (XJ750MK and XJ1100J) She has not ridden the XJ1100 yet, I am in the process of restoring it soon hers will look as good as your (she wont ride it if she thinks it's ugly)
                            Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                            80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                            82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                            82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                            82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                            72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                            72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

?????

I thought ALL of the 750/850 XS/XJ bikes were 3 cylinder?
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own