X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here...

Hey all,

New guy here from Ontario, Canada...

I bought a 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special a few months ago and have had my brother do a bunch of work to it.

Typically I'm a VERY hands on person but when it comes to custom-fab I let a more skilled person look after it! Toss me in front of a car and I've got no issues at all.

I've been riding bikes since I was 5 but only got my first street bike in the fall of 2010 ('04 SV650S) and this is only my second.

Anyways, the bike was stock when purchased and has gone through a small transformation to what it is now...

1980 XS MNS
    -'06 CBR1000RR inverted front forks/brakes
    -custom spacers for wheel/rotors/calipers
    -zx-6 master cylinder
    -smaller headlight
    -stock gauges
    -clip ons with newer controls
    -gsx-r600 rear sets powdercoated black
    -custom wire tuck
    -stainless rear line
    -rm-250 seat and rear fender
    -led tail and rear signal lights
    -still deciding on the exhaust system right now...currently has turbo/manifold off of another xs1100 on it, might do a custom ss header though

Pictures are expected I'm guessing!!! So here they are...

And of course I have to thank my brother for all the hard work gone into this bike. He is a wizard with a welder and his fab skills are incredible.

He runs a bike shop in Mississauga, Ontario called OneSpeed and does everything from maintenance to race prep...and EVERYTHING in between.

I have provided some small tweaks but he is responsible for how it looks right now.

Check him out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/onespeedracing

Comments/suggestions welcome!

Craig

i guess you can hear that one coming up the valley road!! you have a few members close to you,, welcome aboard this is a wonderful place to be! any and all questions will be answered by those smarter than yours truly ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

That exhaust in the first pic looks like a boot burner.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Welcome aboard Daley. As for the bike.... no comment.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Be aware that there are many of us who do not share your enthusiasm for... ahem... "customizing" these bikes - especially a MNS. Since you say it was stock when you got it, I must ask - what did you do with the MNS exhaust!??
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

i'm afraid of the answer.Welcome aboard Daley,as you'll find out,most on here like to keep there bikes close to virgin,or at least in the time period.Some on here would give there left,well never mind, for a complete mns. I do think it's a nice custom though. I can see alot of work has been put into it,even if it's not a virgin.
            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Welcome!

I would like to know more details about the fork swap you did!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Love the look! Despite being grouched at about modifying a stock bike (), the people here are the best resource there is. I would make sure you keep all that MNS trim/parts you take off, though, full MNS bikes can be rare.

I want to know about the fork swap also.

You say you have a turbo and manifold on it from another bike, are you going to boost this one?
                XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  Welcome to the forum. Be aware that there are many of us who do not share your enthusiasm for... ahem... "customizing" these bikes - especially a MNS. Since you say it was stock when you got it, I must ask - what did you do with the MNS exhaust!??
                  Thanks for the feedback! I can totally understand that what I've done to the bike isn't conventional and won't fit into what everyone might 'like'.

Unfortunately the OE exhaust was swapped with another header and then that has rusted out at the collector so it was no good.

Love the look! Despite being grouched at about modifying a stock bike (), the people here are the best resource there is. I would make sure you keep all that MNS trim/parts you take off, though, full MNS bikes can be rare.

I want to know about the fork swap also.

You say you have a turbo and manifold on it from another bike, are you going to boost this one?
                  Thanks for the tip. I have a lot of reading to do about the bike. I have kept all of the stock MNS parts and won't be 'scrapping' them.

The turbo/manifold/kit was on a previous xs1100 that my brother had. It is on mine right now only temporarily until a header is build/bought. I haven't had it out yet since it was originally bought so I'm not sure how it'll be with the forks/turbo.

What would you like to know about the fork swap?

Comment

Was it a straight swap or did there need to be some machine work done? Just general details.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

radical changes are OK

Flame suit on.....

Now I love the look of a stock XS as much as anyone. Its a classic to me and that form is how I like mine.

BUT

And thats a big BUT you say...

Look at the 32 Ford Coupes out there in every flavor imaginable. As long as someone is still loving their XS enough to put blood, sweat and money in it they stay on the road and relevant.

Rant over.

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

i personally love when people do unique things to there bike. but man i want to hear this thing with that turbo...looks clean. But IS IT STREETABLE????
                        _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
                        1980 gs1000g "stock"
                        1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
                        2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Working...
                        X