• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horror show

I already posted this link in the "other bikes" forum:-
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=32456
    but it does deserve a wider audience.
    The appallingly bad welds and even worse design shown in the link will make every amateur fabricator on this list feel far more confident in themselves.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

want a ride in my sidecar? I wouldn't put my worst enemy in that rig,only because i'd be afraid of a law suit.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

And I thought the welds on a XS were nasty looking.
      Current Stable:
      1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
      1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
      1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
      1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
      WTB:
      1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
      1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Having tried my hand at Welding once upon a time, and knowing my results looked far superior to those, and how horribly my welds failed the X-ray, and hydro test, I gotta say, I have no clue how the person who did that work could possibly charge someone for doing it and still sleep at night.

There are some very basic concepts of mechanical function and structural integrity that are amazingly absent in that workmanship!!! I know almost nothing of good sidecar rigging design, and yet I can easily spot several ways I would expect that rig to fall apart before or just after the wheel goes in an entirely different direction than the bike or the sidecar!!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Fred, I saw this in the Other Bikes subforum and read the first few posts with pictures and sort of 'd to myself, but today I finally read the whole thread. It's well worth reading to the end.

Also led me to this : "You are NOT a real fabricator when..."
          XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

Working...
          X