Rebuilding my XS11SF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"they just run and run and run."
    And indeed they do. My Skoot is the most day to day reliable bike I have ever owned, and I have owned many in my 52 years of riding. After an extensive "shakedown" period, I hope to ride it to N.Y., N.Y. to visit my new grandson, sometime in the Fall. I haven't discussed it with him lately, but we may be able to work in hosting a Central Coast Rally in the next few months. I have a vision of a variation on the typical "pack ride." Stay tuned...
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Ok

"Pics or it didn't happen"
        Stand by...

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
          ... After an extensive "shakedown" period, I hope to ride it to N.Y., N.Y. to visit my new grandson, sometime in the Fall. I haven't discussed it with him lately, but we may be able to work in hosting a Central Coast Rally in the next few months. ...
          Special Ed
          Let me know if you come out to NY and were in NY you will be traveling. It would be a nice treat to meet up.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Long ride

I too would like to do a far east run and would love to have a riding buddy to do it with. Lots less expensive with a friend to share motel expenses and of course if something happens on the way. I have been looking for another xs'ive for such a trip to my old stomping grounds.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
            Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system
            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen
              I've got a few pictures, but they are still on the camera. I've been too busy working to post them! I will try and get a few up later this week, if Ed and I can spare the time.
              The engine is sitting back in the frame, but it's missing the clutch, alternator, starter, middle drive, and all but one mount bolt! We have three more evenings, no light or power at the work site, and a LOT of work to make our Saturday morning goal....
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working in the dark and no power is an interesting task for an evenings only project! Good luck on the goal!! You may just need it!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Time keeps on movin'

Well, I can provide light, but yes, time is tight, and tho I tried to keep track of all the pieces and parts, there are a couple of parts, like the alternator and timing covers that are missing inaction. Fortunately, push come to shove, Ray dose have a couple of parts bikes... Even without that, getting the details together in three days is going to be a challenge: but in the end it is going to be so HOT and so purdy!
                  Special Ed

Comment

We can take a hint...

"I too would like to do a far east run and would love to have a riding buddy to do it with. Lots less expensive with a friend to share motel expenses and of course if something happens on the way. I have been looking for another xs'ive for such a trip to my old stomping grounds."
                    YA SURE, lets stay in touch on this! Sounds "do"able. Ray sez you are looking for people willing to pay ?$ to build road bars for the XS11's. I am very interested.

OK, so Ray was putting on the middle drive while I was screwing in case screws on the other side of the bike when he sez, “Hey, so this is what went 'clunk' in your bike! Your U joint is toast!”
                    So we assumed that the problem was with the tranny , or maybe the middle drive. If we had bothered to track down the problem I could have been riding all winter. But then, I probably wouldn't have gotten around to doing this re-build. When you assume you make an ASS of U and ME.
                    Oh well. I wonder what the relative cost of replacing a middle drive after over 130,000 miles, versus replacing that many miles worth of chains and sockets.
                    Any way Ray sez I can ride his MNS to the event and he will ride his Beemer. I'm sure pictures will follow...
                    Special Ed

Comment

Marshy: Who Knew there is a Mexico in New York? I mean other than people who live there, of course. My grandson is in Manhattan, so that is where I'll be heading, and I look forward to meeting you and any other XSive's out there and along the way.

PlaneDick: The prospects of riding out to N.Y. together sounds great, but be foreworned, I don't plan on an Iron Butt ride: I hope to take it easy, with many photo stops, crashing on XSive's along the way, and a stop in Minnisota to visit with in- laws. The prospect of having a "wing man" is pleasing to me!
                      If I can afford it, I was thinking about a Northern route out there and a more southerly route back.

We didn't get the bike together in time for The Dream Machines, but It's getting close. When we started hooking up the middle drive we discovered that the u joint was broken, so doing a case split and lower end rebuild wasn't really necessary, and I coulda been riding through this mild and sunny winter that we had here in Cantafordya! You know what they say about6 assuming, right?

Comment

look at it this way Ed, now you know your bike is good to go for another 100k miles. Yep the old ass-ume has gotten more people into more trouble, myself included.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
                          Marshy: Who Knew there is a Mexico in New York? I mean other than people who live there, of course. My grandson is in Manhattan, so that is where I'll be heading, and I look forward to meeting you and any other XSive's out there and along the way.
                          Just let me know when your out here. Theres only 2 major routes that run east west. The norther of the two is the interstate rt 90 and runs near Syracuse, I'm ~30 mins norh. The other rt takes you through Binghamton along rt 86/17 and I'm 2 hours ride to Watkins Glen...

Do you have an idea what month you guys will be traveling?
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

East run

Ed, I never did more than 800 miles lately and that was killer for me but you know me, I'm not one to cruise at 60 mph behind those dirt trucks either. A leisurely northern route in the fall and a southern rt back sounds like the best idea. My area is upstate NY just a little southeast of Watkins Glen which is close to WMarshy I guess.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...