Bike values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike values

That six grand 78E on CL (see for sale forum) got me thinking, again.
    There've been questions posted over the years as to why the value of these magnificent & highly collectible machines aren't worth more.

A quick revue of CLs everywhere & Ebay answers this question

First of all, we all know that an xs11 will ocassionally bring $3,000-5,000. It's a pristine one, probably bought by some one who's not all that familiar with the machine or the market. It doesn't happen very often.

If you look at the $3,000-5,000 overall motorcycle market, you see Vstars, roadstars, old HD heritages,sportsters, Dynas, the list goes on & on.

When you can get a Roadstar with reasonably low miles that looks great for $4500.00, are you going to pay that for an xs1100? I don't think so.
    Just something to ponder in the question of value department.

PS: That guy in Minnesota that does full restoration of xs1100s just offered one on ebay. it didn't make his reserve. IIRC the bidding only went to low 2,000s.

It'll be a long time before these have real collector value. So, don;t worry so much about "is it original?". Just enjoy it, & fix it up any way you want.
    These comments are from a guy who's about to try to sell a very original, low mileage,one owner 79SF. We'll see
    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

I've never wyorried too much... My XS is priceless!!!!
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Shocker

I got the bikes I own professionally appraised and the results back today. Now they have been doing this for forty years and he guy was here for over three hours. He took about a hundred pictures and really went over the bikes. the result is shocking to me. However I'm not stupid and realize that these values are for insurance companies and the market (buyers) determine actual values. Dig this though, the SF was valued at 14,500 and the LH at 17,500. If I was to try to sell them, I'd be lucky to get 3500 each.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

The XS11 was the last 'do it all' flagship bike Yamaha built, and only the '78 could rightfully claim that. The market fragmented after that, with ever more specialized models becoming popular in their 'niche'. If you look, it's nearly always either a '78 or a somewhat rarer MNS that bags the big bucks, never one of the more plebian versions.

While an extremely well-engineered piece, the bike really didn't break any new ground like the CBX did, being more of a final evolution of existing ideas rather than new technology and Yamaha's quick detuning of the later models didn't help sales or popularity much either, abandoning 'performance' to the Suzuki GS which had much better handling.

That it's better than it's peers overall means it really doesn't stand out in any one catagory so it's just not going to get the attention the other bikes receive. Add in the poor parts supply and the high costs of a 'correct' restoration and that means these will remain a 'cult' bike....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Mack:

Does this mean you'll pay much higher premiums?
          Tom Clisham

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Came across THIS ARTICLE written in 2010.

Intresting.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Tom

No I'm still only going to ask for a 4K replacement value, but if my shop where I store them burns down, I'll be looking to get the appraised value. (Two different companies)
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

Its a love

Notwithstanding perceived or actual values the XS is just a machine that garners the love of its owner. Simple as that and it takes a special person to own and operate one. Just like the Corvair or a Prada purse or Gucci shoes or any number of prised items. The monetary worth is only what another will pay but the actual worth is in the heart of the owner. That is priceless!
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Well said!

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
                  Notwithstanding perceived or actual values the XS is just a machine that garners the love of its owner. Simple as that and it takes a special person to own and operate one. Just like the Corvair or a Prada purse or Gucci shoes or any number of prised items. The monetary worth is only what another will pay but the actual worth is in the heart of the owner. That is priceless!
                  Oh my gosh! I've owned as many Corvairs as i have xs1100s! I think that puts me in the automotive wierdo category!

BTW: My favorite Corvair was a 66 coupe powered by a 66 facory high performance 327 out of a super sport Nova. it was mounted mid-engine & really surprised a lot of people at red lights. NEVER should have sold that one.
                  But, I never should have sold the 34 Ford coupe or the 69 AMX, etc, etc, etc.
                  Tom Clisham

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                    BTW: My favorite Corvair was a 66 coupe powered by a 66 facory high performance 327 out of a super sport Nova. it was mounted mid-engine & really surprised a lot of people at red lights. NEVER should have sold that one....
                    One of these?.... http://www.corvaircorsa.com/crown1a.html

A full-blown later re-do of one.... http://www.corvaircorsa.com/norris01.html
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I had two Corvairs myself way back when. One was a 66 with a turbo. Not as inpressive as it sounds but it was nice.

Had two Triumph TR-3s also. It was fun to pull the crank out and start it up like tha. Quit that one drunk night when it almost broke my freakin arm.
                      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                        I had two Corvairs myself way back when. One was a 66 with a turbo. Not as inpressive as it sounds but it was nice.

Had two Triumph TR-3s also. It was fun to pull the crank out and start it up like tha. Quit that one drunk night when it almost broke my freakin arm.
                        You can still start your F like that if you start feelin' nostalgic.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I owned a '89 Cavalier once...
                          Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                          Ozark, Alabama

Comment

I once owned a 1968 Shelby Cobra GT500KR. The damn thing was a cover car for the magazine "Fabulous Mustangs and Other Exotic Fords" after I sold it. I now have the Magazine and my memories. What a bummer!
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

yep

Yeah Steve, it was the crown conversion. Ain't those headers cool. Mine ran into 2 cherry bombs. Longest radiator hoses I ever had.Had neat 14 inch chev rally wheels. Oh well. After i sold that car for $2500.00, i found out the Nova SS 327, as stock, which mine was, double hump heads pink rods etc, was worth $2500 alone.
                              Now you can't touch those corv8s for less than $15,000.

dpotter: I had a tr3 also, but I sure never hand cranked it.
                              Tom Clisham

Comment

Working...
                              X