Bag it like its hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bag it like its hot!

Does anyone use a tank bag, and if so, what kinds do you find work well?
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Originally posted by Joab View Post
    Does anyone use a tank bag, and if so, what kinds do you find work well?
    I hate tank bags... they take up alot of space and hold nothing. Get a tail bag for your rear seat. they make ones that are quick release so you can take it right off and carry it away with you.

I had this one on my old Ninja and loved it. Could put my thermos, coffee cup, work boots, and a sweatshirt in it.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tail-Bag.aspx
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

How well does it hang on the bike? I'm not into the saddle bag/luggage look, but I commute on my bike a lot and have been carrying a backpack, but a tail bag seems like a good solution. I'm afraid of stuff falling off though :P
      Last edited by Danny Crawdad; 04-12-2012, 11:29 PM.
      XS11SH :: K&N Pods, 4->1, Dynojet kit, Barnett clutch springs, TC's fuse block, ATGATT

Well, goodness. Look what we've got here.

Comment

I use tank bags on ALL my bikes! great way to carry what I NEED, but will NOT hold very much JUNK. The MNS has a small magnetic, and I have a large magnetic for the Standard. The BMW needed a "special mount", and the stock bag was the price of a trunk! I was able to find a used bag for it on ebay, so I'm happy.
        The best part about the magnetic bags is they pull off easily, but do NOT move on the ride, even when the bike tries to exceed the legal speed limit...
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Crawdad View Post
          How well does it hang on the bike? I'm not into the saddle bag/luggage look, but I commute on my bike a lot and have been carrying a backpack, but a tail bag seems like a good solution. I'm afraid of stuff falling off though :P
          well it sat on the back of a 2001 ZX6 Ninja commuting 25 miles each way on the freeway (@ 65 to 85 mph) for 2 years... It was still on the bike when I sold it. I'd say it hung out pretty good.
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Crawdad View Post
            I have been rocking the bungie cord camo bag look on mine for my work commute since I bought the bike. Not pretty, but it gets the job done.
            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

i have a firstgear magnetic bag. I use a microfiber cloth under it to keep from maring the paint. I use it on trips. nice to pull a water bottle out or candy bar or whatever you like. I also keep the garin in it. I can slip the garmin under the clear top and not worry about it falling off and then just pull the whole bag when i make a stop if needed.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/Luggage...TankBagII.html
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

I have a Yamaha "STAR" tank bag, and have had it a long time. It's expandable. I like it.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I have a magnetic tank bag made by Bike Master I use on long trips. It's a great place to keep small stuff you might need while riding, camera,GPS,sunglasses, ect and it has a clear sheath on the top where you can slip a map of the area your in and you can check your location or route at a glance.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I use a Givi magnetic tank bag. It's a double decker style so that you can remove the top bag if it's not needed. Both compartments have a transparent top pocket for maps or GPS devices (or whatever).

If you go this route, you might want to put something under the tank bag so nothing scratches the paint. Don't recall who it was here but they use a thin rubber mesh under their bag to prevent this from happening,
                    I had some metal splinters get stuck due to the magnets and it did a number on my paint when I pulled it off.

The bag itself is great for pretty much anything... except the kitchen sink. I keep it on the back of the bike.
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

I also have, and love, a tank bag. As Mr. Potter stated, they aren't something to hold a significant amount of luggage, but is a great place to put things you may immediately need on a ride. Plus, I normally use a suction cup on the tank for my GPS, but when it rains, I store it and my MP3 player in the bag to stay dry. I also keep my rain pants in it for quick access.

I can't tell you the brand of mine, I just got it off of Ebay and it says Yamaha down the side. When I wrecked the bike last year and it was doing flips down the road, the tank bag actually saved the top of my tank. The clear plastic got some road rash, but the bag still works fine.

One thing to watch for with the magnetic bags... Magnets attract steel. (Duh) I know people that have screwed up the paint on their tanks by setting the bag somewhere, then picking it up and plopping it onto the tank, and riding many miles before discovering a nut/bolt/screw/washer had been stuck to the bag.

They make some pretty ginormous tank bags, so if looking for storage, they are available. It's still not going to compare with a trunk or saddle bag, even though some are even expandable with zippers, but they are extremely useful for quick access of things, and even a smaller one is handy as heck.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have an Oxford tank bag, magnetic. It's nice on a trip. Expanded it will hold a full face helmet. Has a clear cover for maps. Zips off the base and becomes a back pack. Has 3 side pockets. End one zips off, has a belt loop. Whole bag zips off the base, and the base has a map pocket on it. Rain cover stows between the bag and base. Only hassle is every 120 miles at fill up time, but it's good storage, as many have mentioned.
                        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Wow, sounds like there are some pretty awesome choices out there if I decide to go this route. And good heads up on getting something between the magnet and the tank...My tank paint job isnt very good, but I would rather it not look like I got hungry and decided to start nibbling
                          Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

microfiber cloth was mentioned. Sticky rubber mesh mats are available too, like toolbox liner material or drawer liners for kitchens. Make sure the tank isn't dusty when you put the bag on.
                            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Working...
                            X