any experience in metal flake paint??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any experience in metal flake paint??

so Im thinking I want to do a green metal flake paint job , and Im wondering if anybody has any tips?

maybe just a touch greener.
    Im thinking gold base green candy and gold flake
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

pretty cool way to apply it http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16097
    Last edited by GARTHXS; 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM.
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

Comment

IT is rather difficult to spray, if you don't know what you are doing. Has an extreme tendency to run! Very thin coats of color/flake only when spraying (make sure your spray tip is large enough to pass the flake...). After coats have flash dried to the touch, with a fresh clean gloved hand rub the painted surface down, this is to knock down any flakes that are standing on end. If you clear it without doing this you will see the flakes that are standing up in the clear.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        IT is rather difficult to spray, if you don't know what you are doing. Has an extreme tendency to run! Very thin coats of color/flake only when spraying (make sure your spray tip is large enough to pass the flake...). After coats have flash dried to the touch, with a fresh clean gloved hand rub the painted surface down, this is to knock down any flakes that are standing on end. If you clear it without doing this you will see the flakes that are standing up in the clear.
        yeah thats what I thought so Im going to try the method in the link above
        91 kwaka kz1000p
        Stock

Comment

Hey Garth,

I sprayed some green PPG auto type paint with micro flake thru a basic harbor freight HvLp type spray gun without any problems, it layed down fine. I actually applied it over a base layer of black for the patterned affect I was going for on mine....a large snake skin type pattern. Then sprayed the clear with hardener over that.

It was the toxic type of paint, so I used a respirator type mask and goggles to protect my brains/lungs, but I live out here on the east coast, I've seen/read that you don't have this "good" quality toxic paint out here in Caca land???

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

here's a tip:

I just painted a goldwing using a graphite gray with microflake mixed in it. Used a Harbor freight gun @ $14.99. Looks awesome, esp. in the sunlight. No gun clogging issues, easy to do. Here's the tip- however you spray the flake, do it in a cris- cross pattern to get an even fill. maybe two passes side to side, follow with two passes up and down, move your head around using the available light reflection to check the progress. And don't go too wet, that's where the runs are born. Just let it flash off for ten minutes, add more coats as you wish for the depth that you're after. And wait outside away from the paint while it flashes off, them's bad chemicals in the air, minimize your exposure.

scoot

Comment

Good one scoot . I do plan on using a resperater. But I'm wanting to do more of a bass boat flake
              91 kwaka kz1000p
              Stock

Comment

That WILL require a large tip on the gun, and quick drying thinner for the paint. Buy some of the "cold weather" thinner, so it will flash quickly. I KNOW it helps when you are NOT a pro.... The base needs to be SMOOTH, then do a LOT of quick, thin coats of the flake, and finish with the clear. I like to put about two or three thin coats of clear so it looks like the paint is six inches deep.
                DO wear a mask, and if your like me, I used SCUBA gear to keep the lungs clean. I did shoot two coats of clear, then wet sand and a final coat to get the look I wanted. The bad news, this was thirty plus years ago, and the paint has changed a LOT since then. Even SEM paints had to change the formula for CA, so try and buy the paint from AZ or NV if you can, as it IS worth it!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I plan to shoot the flake on dry with q setup like a DIY soda blaster . Check out the link I posted . Any input on base coat combos
                  91 kwaka kz1000p
                  Stock

Comment

You DO need to keep the base, flake, and top coat from the SAME COMPANY! Use the same type of paint as well!! I didn't go to the link, so I'm not sure what you are going to do, but go slow, and remember, you can always sand it and start again.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
                      so Im thinking I want to do a green metal flake paint job , and Im wondering if anybody has any tips?

maybe just a touch greener.
                      Im thinking gold base green candy and gold flake
                      Make sure to post up pics of the final product...I am really interested in seeing how that color comes out...green is always a win!
                      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

OK, here is my opinion on applying flakes (and we all know about opinions).

I tried dusting flake like in the video with gold microflake. I feel better results can be had by putting the flake in the medium. I have also tried putting flake in both the last color coat and in the first coat of clear. Putting the flake in the last color coat toned the brightness down a bit for a more warm look while putting it in the first coat of clear makes it flashier and brighter.

Using a flaker like in the video made for a real mess. Do that outside because if you go indoors you will be cleaning flake off of everything for months. It gets everywhere. dont even breathe hard with the cap off of the container and definately wear a mask and a hair net or cap is a good idea (unless you have no hair, like me).

When I put flake in the last color or first clear coat I use alot less flake and clearing is alot easier with maybe three or four coats max needed to achieve depth.
                        Mike Giroir
                        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
                          ...But I'm wanting to do more of a bass boat flake
                          You want the BIG glitter-sized flakes, which IMO is the only real metalflake paint; anything else just looks like metallic...

I shot one of these in the early 70s, and you need a big tip (3mm?) on the gun. Hold the gun further away from the work to avoid runs (like 16-18 inches). It took about 3 coats IIRC to get a even coat. The downside is you end up with a very rough finish that looks like the worst case of orange peel you ever saw. I cleared mine, starting with about 6 coats to get some build-up, then lightly wet-sanded to start knocking down the high spots. It took about 20 coats of clear before I had a smooth finish. This will give you a thick paint that is prone to chipping but is the only way to get a glossy finish.

Some guys just sealed it with 3-4 coats of clear then stopped. This works but you can't wax it because you'll never get the wax out of the dimples.

Of course, this was done with lacquer back then, with modern paints you'll have to stay inside their time 'windows' for proper paint bond...

Oh yeah... use flakes the color you want; the candy will only tint the flakes unless you do a lot of coats and it's tough to avoid blotchiness when sanding.

But it does look cool!
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I will be spraying in a booth that has very good ventilation . And I agree it will be cool
                            91 kwaka kz1000p
                            Stock

Comment

Working...
                            X