cleaning the controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning the controls

I just got my 1100 and it sat a long time and the master cylinder and all the controls like where the starter and horn is mounted has white stuff on them, like battery terminals get. I took gas and a toothbrush and it still looks bad. I think i may have to sand them and repaint them, any recommendations on what kind of paint to get? Thanks guys.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Those things clean up a good bit with WD-40. They look bad on the outside, so they're going to be a problem inside. Try WD-40 and an old toothbrush or something similar to remove that corrosion. That should get the switches moving again. Some electronic contact cleaner or electric motor cleaner should finish it up.

On the outside, I used "Honda Bumper Black" from SEM. It looks the perfect match compared to the OEM finish. I used some "Black It Out" from another manufacturer with good results as well.

Clean inside and out and make sure everything is working before you paint.

Many off the decals can be replaced to finish the job. Find them here:
    Reproduction Decals
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I can never find those lables on that site...
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        I can never find those lables on that site...
        When you go to their home page, click on "DECALS" on the top left of the page. Next, click on "Yamaha Decals" at the top of the list. Finally, click on "CLICK HERE FOR WARNING & SERVICE LABELS".

You will find nothing specifcally for the XS1100, however, many of the listed labels are correct for our bikes. If you look closely at the page, it says they have too many decals to list, "Please contact us". "DONEBYSUNDAY" used to sell the whole sheet on eBay and on the XS650 Micapeak list. He had all of them, so I expect this place does as well.
        Last edited by jetmechmarty; 04-11-2012, 07:21 AM. Reason: Content
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Thanks a lot, that was what i was looking for.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Working...
          X