Oil Pump Idler gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump Idler gear

Addie's second gear fix has ground to a halt as Tinman found the Oil Pump Idler Gear is broken.
    Does anyone have one lying around?
    Pictures in a few minutes.

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

The warped gear

Lives on the end of the shift fork shaft

Not quite in focus.

My Guru with Addie upside down and strpped of all dignity.

Phil
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

That is a textbook example of improper gear alignment when installing the clutch drum.

If you can't find one in Canadia I'v got one. But like y'all..........oops, I mean you guys, always say. It'll take forever to get there.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        That is a textbook example of improper gear alignment when installing the clutch drum.

If you can't find one in Canadia I'v got one. But like y'all..........oops, I mean you guys, always say. It'll take forever to get there.
        Hi Greg,
        Thanks for your quick response. Hang on to it for now while we explore some local options.
        Phil
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Was it running like that?
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Was it running like that?
            Well it was like that we we took it apart so yes it was running like that for a few seasons now. The bike was in rough shape when Phil bought it. I think it should have came with a bottle of Vaseline too
            BDF Special
            80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
            Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

I was doing 100mph on Friday
              Phil
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Your lucky it didn't come unglued if it's cracked. You better check the teeth on the oil pump and the clutch drum also. And the shaft it runs on for abnormal wear and see if it's bent too.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Your lucky it didn't come unglued if it's cracked. You better check the teeth on the oil pump and the clutch drum also. And the shaft it runs on for abnormal wear and see if it's bent too.
                  Yes, seems that only this gear is damaged which was surprising. I think Phil might have tried to open his beer with it.
                  BDF Special
                  80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                  Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                    I think Phil might have tried to open his beer with it.
                    Tell him to use his teeth next time. If he breaks those the dentist can whittle him some new ones.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                      Yes, seems that only this gear is damaged which was surprising.

Yeah, that little gear is the weak link. The oil pump gear and the clutch basket gear are a much harder steel. That's why that gear bent instead of shattering. I had the clutch basket gear literally eat up that bolt that holds the gear shaft on, and there wasn't a mark on the gear. Lots and lots of metal shaving to clean out of the motor though...
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

were all of the c-clips in place? I have seen one of those idler gears laying in the bottom of the oil pan before. The clutch basket and gears do a nice number on it as it works its way down to the oil pan.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Glad to hear that Greg has one for you if you can't find one in Canadia, as if nobody else had offered I was going to offer to go out and pull the one out off my original engine from my G as it was still just fine last time I looked, but I'm sure even if you don't find one up there, Greg has one that's already out of the engine rather than having to be removed first.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Along with a throttle cable, clutch cable, clutch handle, and assorted other things, one of those sprockets usually comes along with me on long trips. It's small and doesn't take up much space, and as DGXSER stated, just one of those two little circlips comes off, and that gear is usually gonna be a gonner. Since it runs your oil pump, you're not going to get too far without it. Luckily, it rarely happens.
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                              Along with a throttle cable, clutch cable, clutch handle, and assorted other things, one of those sprockets usually comes along with me on long trips. It's small and doesn't take up much space, and as DGXSER stated, just one of those two little circlips comes off, and that gear is usually gonna be a gonner. Since it runs your oil pump, you're not going to get too far without it. Luckily, it rarely happens.
                              Was fortunate, as the idler in my Venturer "floated" for two years before doin the tranny fix, as it is "captured" behind the rest of the assembly. And as Tod stated, that lower shaft retainer bolt had fallen out and did NOT even resemble a bolt anymore with absolutely no markings on the gear teeth that had ground it down.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X