need title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need title

i have a bike that was given to me that i am going to build for my wife, but i dont have a title and dont know who the original owner is. does anyone know how i could get a title for this thing that wont cost an arm and a leg. (the bike was given to me from a property management company that i do work for it was left behind by one of the tennants) thanks for the help.
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Contact your local DMV and ask how/if this can be done. Speak hypothetically until you know where you stand, as sometimes this depends on how you 'present' it...

Being an 'abandoned vehicle', it may or may not be easy. Every state is different, so you need to check with them....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Sometimes a bill of sale is needed. So, if that's the case, your buddy that gave you the bike could draft up a 'bill of sale' for some meager amount (~$100) and then the DMV could work with that.

+1 on what steve said about talking to DMV, talk hypotheticals. If at first you don't like what they're telling you, maybe call back on a different day with a different senario.

VDoT website has some good info on lost titles and such. maybe a FAQ page too.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Every state is different. In some states, you can forget about it. In others, like Georgia, no title is required. In some states obtaining a title might be a hassle, in others, impossible!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Working...
        X