a confession....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a confession....

So I have to confess... I've never sync'd the carbs on my XS before today. It seemed to run fine when I awoken it in 08 so I figured "leave it alone" (and let the brow beating begin )

I pulled out my brand new 4 gauge sync kit. got the bike warmed up and then hooked everything up... WOW maybe I should have done this awhile ago.

Got it all synced up, reset the idle speed, adjusted the mixture by ear, re-synced.....

BTW I pulled the timing cover off... tamper proof screws still there. Timing still dead on

On the advice of everyone about fuel octane I decided to investigate. Pulled #4 plug and got the bore light and scope out. Rolled the motor till I could see exhaust valve hanging. Inserted bore scope and light. Yep I'd say there is some carbon in there

Poured 6 ounces of seamfoam into a seal container and head to the gas station. Got rained on between my house and the gas station, which is only like 2 miles away. (f'n april showers) poured seafoam in tank and toped it of with 76's finest 87 octane regular

Took a 50 mile cruise around the extra long way home (got rained on again) Got home and pulled a few plugs. Theres carbon now showing up on the ground strap and outer ring... So the seafoam and lower grade gas are working its way thru... Plug still read a little lean. Right now I'll atribute that to the fact it was 51 outside with a feels like 45 plus we've had T-storms roll thru today so the atmospheric and barometric pressures are all messed up right now. suppose to be 60 and sunny tomorrow, gonna take the wife for a ride. Will report back after that.
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

I will simply agree completely and provide this link to my own similar discovery....
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      I will simply agree completely and provide this link to my own similar discovery....
      Ya I thought this old boy ran like a champ before... I left the gas station and was strolling down the road behind some traffic @ 40 mph. finally got clear and gave it the business without even shifting out of 4th... and "Hello mid range torque! I didn't know I was missing you but I'm sure glad I found you!"
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

OK Greg (BA80) just sent me a PM and gave me an idea... And as there is beer that needs to be drank, and cussing to still be done, I'm headed back out to the garage to play with the XS.... BRB
        Don

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hey now Don, dont leave us hanging here! And when you are finished with yours, you can take a short ride down to Alabama and synch and tune mine up while you are in the mode!
          Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
          Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Sorry Brother.... I finally came in the house and took the work boots off about half hour ago... Been going since 6 am. Wish the hours I put in the garage on all my toy's paid like the 9 I put in before I got home

So... Greg (BA80) gave me some good advise. and Myself and Mr Coors went out to play around with it. I'll let Greg explain it to you if your curious... My brain hurts as it is. So after messing around with it for a bit I think I got it knocked down. I got tired, the bike got hot, so I'll check it again in the AM but this looks pretty good to me

I also found on this last playing with the carbs that my Vac advance hose was split in half @ the nipple on the carb... fixed that real quick, can't have that. I'll shoot video tomorrow and post it on here of the bike running with the sync gauges hooked up and going. Then I'll post some pic's of the plugs after the ride. we will see if I did good
            Don

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Go get some well deserved rest then! And in the morning, you can let me know where you bought that synch gauge from
              Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                Go get some well deserved rest then! And in the morning, you can let me know where you bought that synch gauge from
                Oh I'm not leaving this chair for a couple hours... I got beer to drink and chatting to do... I'm just done standing.

and EBAY is where they came from... they all had to be calibrated when i got them but thats easy to do if you have a mighty vac
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

take a short ride down to Alabama :
                  BTW I'd love to see 'Bama.... it's on my list. First Yellowstone on the XS. then... well, the Jason Aldean song "Fly Over States" has me day dreaming of an EPIC road trip thru those states on my bike so I can take pictures and make a slide show with that song in the background.... This is what happens when people leave someone like me alone with my thoughts most all day.... I come up with sh^t like that. And then with a brain like I have it turns from thought to "I think I have to do this!" LMAO
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Drink one for me, I am stuck working till 4am. I suppose I am going to try to get all arts and crafts and try to build one from the site.

Lol, yeah, I need to get out and see more of the country. I would still like to do a coast to coast ride in the next couple years...no promises it will be on the XS though.
                    Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Drink one for me, I am stuck working till 4am. I suppose I am going to try to get all arts and crafts and try to build one from the site.

Lol, yeah, I need to get out and see more of the country. I would still like to do a coast to coast ride in the next couple years...no promises it will be on the XS though.
                      paid like $50 bucks for this set up... works good. Just when I opened it none of the needle landed on zero. So i pulled the covers off and hooked each one to my vac pump and pumped to 10 hg's and turned the screw on each gauge till it matched...

I'd love to go from here to FL seeing as I'm @ the top left of the states and its bottom right.. done it on a plane once, but that don't count. One of my Tattoo Artists moved down there a year ago. I need touch up... The other one just moved to Utah, he's close to Moab. not too far for touch up. Every time I meet a dude that slings killer ink as a side job He has to move and find a real job, SUCKS
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Ha, looking for real work alwways suckss, that is what forced me down to Alabama from Minnesota.

Hey, you ride down here from your homeland and touch the water, I will follow you back up and get a bottle from the otherside! I would love to visit Moab sometime as well, but being as I sold my last 4x4 toy(that runs) this year, I am afraid what would happen if I went and got ideas...
                        Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Ha, looking for real work alwways suckss, that is what forced me down to Alabama from Minnesota.

Hey, you ride down here from your homeland and touch the water, I will follow you back up and get a bottle from the otherside! I would love to visit Moab sometime as well, but being as I sold my last 4x4 toy(that runs) this year, I am afraid what would happen if I went and got ideas...
                          Ya my Jeep is yard-art anymore... and I ain't gotta go far to touch the water.. it just runs in a different direction than your water...
                          Don

old:
                          1989 kawi ex500
                          1996 yzf-r6
                          1999 yzf-r1
                          2001 kawi zx-6r
                          2000 Ducati 748
                          2002 YZF-R1
                          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                            Ya my Jeep is yard-art anymore... and I ain't gotta go far to touch the water.. it just runs in a different direction than your water...
                            Hmm...well...that might explain alot of the news we get out of those parts...
                            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Sync Guages
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X