Bike Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Help!

I have a XS1100G with ~7000 miles on it that I am trying to bring up to speed with recommended mods.

I have the items on hand to accomplish the following modification:

1. XS 850 final drive (for drive swap)
    2. Blade type electrical fuse block
    3. New coils
    4. New rectifier/regulator (geezer)
    5. All turn signals to remount (PO has removed them for fairing and bags)
    6. British footpeg mounts with setback foot controls (brake and gear shift
    7. British handlebars to match rearset seating position
    8. New headlight bucket with Cibie Headlight modification (Crazy Steve)

When I was younger 30s and 40s, and really into biking I lived in the garage and was the go to place for others to drop by with social comment, a beer/cup of coffee, and bike problems that we would work on.

The point is, I was wondering if there was any like minded individuals in the area (150 - 200 miles) from Chattanooga, TN that would care to assist me in doing these mods? (I will come to you)

I am 72 and limited in capacity to do these items. Plus I have no work area to do them. I am not incapacitated, just low on stamina.
    Still strong and can lift. You have no idea how hard it is to write this. Just want to get back on the road for a few more years. Weekend jaunts, ride the Smokies, hit a few ralleys. Have some fun.

Drop a note if interested.

kw4a@att.net
    423 365-4460
    Larry Walker

Ham Radio kw4a
    ex Submarine Sailor (8 yrs)
    Dirt Rider 1970-1980
    Sreet Rider Touring 1980-2000
    Couch Potato 2000-Present
    1980 XS1100 Standard
    1979 XS650 Special
    2000 BMW R1150GS

Originally posted by steelraider View Post
    - - - I am 72 and limited in capacity to do these items. Plus I have no work area to do them. I am not incapacitated, just low on stamina.
    Still strong and can lift. You have no idea how hard it is to write this. Just want to get back on the road for a few more years. Weekend jaunts, ride the Smokies, hit a few ralleys. Have some fun. - - -
    Hi Larry,
    those are good mods except the rearsets and low bars are not usual amongst us seniors.
    Being 74 myself I know all about running out of steam.
    What will extend your years in the saddle is to hang a sidecar on your bike.
    That way you won't have to worry about your 600lb bike tipping over on you at stop signs.
    A sidecar is also a great chick magnet.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have an uncle in Chattanooga I have been meaning to visit, I will be sure to drop you a line when I make it up that way if no one else is able to give you a hand first!
      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

If I was in your area I would gladly give you a hand. As I've told Fred a few times I hope to still be kicking the earth above ground @ 70 something let alone trying to ride a bike... I hope you find the helper's needed.

I sold a quad a few years back to a 74 years old man. He had just had hip replacement surgery from a spill he took on his dirt bike. His wife told him "that's enough of that 2-wheeler" His exact words "guess I gotta find me one of them 4-wheels now..." I guess if there is still a spark the fire never really dies. Good luck with your project my friend I hope you get it done and get to ride it!
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Bike Help

Thanks to all so far for the good words. As far as the riding position, all my bikes in the past have been fitted with rear sets and short bars. I have found that to be the most comfortable position for me. Putting my weight on my chest and shoulders it relieves my back and I can ride all day in comfort. I have done a number of > 1000 mile days and feel even now I can do 500-600 per day if necessary. However I'm looking for nice slow scenery watching cruising days. I have the Smokies in my front door with many miles of fun left to explore. It's time to set back and smell the roses

All my street bikes have been BMW sports tourers. Sold everything a few years ago after figuring I was done. The bug bit me again a year ago when I realized those were HAPPY DAYS and I had a few left in me. My quest in searching for what I considered the ultimate motorcycle experience ended after searching ebay and I kept hitting on the XS1100. I knew nothing about this bike but after doing research the style, power, durability and classic design grabbed me hard. So, here I am, back to it, making those changes the make the bike MINE. Soft bags and tail rack packs to hold those items so necessary for a 2-4 day adventure.

Again, thanks for the good wishes and maybe we'll get this done!!!
          Larry Walker

Ham Radio kw4a
          ex Submarine Sailor (8 yrs)
          Dirt Rider 1970-1980
          Sreet Rider Touring 1980-2000
          Couch Potato 2000-Present
          1980 XS1100 Standard
          1979 XS650 Special
          2000 BMW R1150GS

Comment

There are several in the Georgia, Alabama, Carolina, and Virginia area. Maybe someone will pipe up.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Cincinnati may be a bit out of range. I get around the country often, so, should my travels head me in your direction,we can surely make a good jump on many of those in a night.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
              X