New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Just keep testing, and do as I have if you can and get on an insulin pump. Best thing I've EVER done for ME. Heal well, follow the orders of the DR.s, and remember, riding keeps us ALL young and healthy.
      Send from the good coast of the lower 48....
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hope all is well Mo!
        Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
        Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
        Pod Filters
        DynoJet Kit
        T.C.'s Fuse Block
        Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
        Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

thanks all

i don't recall seeing this post? and am overwhelmed by the kind responses ! now its a lot late to reply but thank you all who took the time to say a word or two,, foot has finally healed and the fight with diabetes goes on ! thank you!!!!
          The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
          moemcnally@hotmail.com
          i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Hi, Mo...
            Glad to hear you're doing better!

My dad was a diabetic, and my mom is too. So was my grandmother.

I watched my dad struggle with it for 15 years, until he finally lost his battle with it.

As you probably well know, it's that first 7 years you have it that are so costly to your body. Plus, you don't even know there's a problem, but it's eating away at your arteries and blood vessels like acid.

That's what got my dad. It was around year 7 doctors told him when symptoms started. Being self-employeed, he had no health insurance, but had experienced good health prior to this. Hadn't been to a Dr. in 25 years...
            He then tried to get insurance before being diagnosed, which would have labeled him "pre-existing condition." But, before he could find some he could afford, he went down, and ended up spending an entire year in the hospital.

From that first day in the hospital until his last...13 years later, he kept his blood sugar perfectly controlled. Yet, in the end, it caused him to have several strokes.

It taught me that it really is a silent killer, and routine testing/ early detection is most critical!

Glad you're doing better. Hang in there. I understand what you're fighting.
            Bob
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

xjok2play !!sorry about your dad i,m living the same nightmare! All out there,, you are warned and hopefully will get tested ,,over 40 ,, chubby ,, thirsty! get tested its easy Good luck to all xs11 members You are a big family i never knew i had ,,Slow mo
              The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
              moemcnally@hotmail.com
              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
                xjok2play !!sorry about your dad i,m living the same nightmare! All out there,, you are warned and hopefully will get tested ,,over 40 ,, chubby ,, thirsty! get tested its easy Good luck to all xs11 members You are a big family i never knew i had ,,Slow mo
                Absolutely, Mo!

I have a test kit, and check myself periodically. So far, so good.

What I regret, was being ignorant about diabetes, and what to personally do.
                Like I said before, my dad hated doctors, and wouldn't go. So, had he at least gone for annual checkups, it would have turned up, and maybe have been treated sooner. Early detection is the key.

Since this has happened, I now know it's too easy to be responsible about it.
                Don't like doctors? Don't have insurance? Can't afford annual physicals?
                Well, go to a WalMart pharmacy, or any pharmacy for that matter, buy a kit and some test strips, and monitor yourself at home, regularly. Doesn't cost very much. No big deal.

And...it might just save your life.
                Believe me...watching my dad suffer, and go out the way he did...

Frustrating to think how it might have all been avoided.

If you are seeing symptoms... thirst, drinking gallons of water, to no avail, bathroom visits every 2 or 3 minutes, migraines, feeling like you're going to pass out, tingling in the extremities, fingernails /toenails turning black, blurred vision or blindness... These are all symptoms of Diabetes.

Dad suffered from them all. When he finally was admitted to the E.R., his blood sugar was 580!

Normal is around 100.

They said by the time he was hospitalized, he had gone through 7 years of the disease with no symptoms. He had suffered an additional 3 years of symptoms.
                10 years of unchecked high blood sugar, that's what killed him. The fact that 13 years he kept it perfect after that, meant little. The damage was done.

Arteries and blood vessels started shutting down. They showed my Mom and me 2 brain scans... a normal, healthy brain, and my Dad's. Dad's looked like swiss cheese. Doctor told me the little black spots were transient mini-strokes he had endured. The larger black spots were full-on strokes. There were many.
                That was when he told us that would be how Dad would go... and there was nothing that could be done to stop it. They were right.

So, to all my XS11 family, I emplore you... have your blood sugar checked...regularly. There's no excuse today for not doing it.
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

if you don't have money for a test kit or insurance or even a doctor !! you do know someone who is diabetic they can test you ! Diabetes is almost 4 in 10 people now that's an epidemic in my books and most don't know they have it ,, that's when this dirty bastard does its work!! have a nice day ,, Slow Mo!!
                  moemcnally@hotmail.com
                  i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

Comment

Hi slo mo,
                    Good to hear you are better. Let us know from time to time and show up anywhere on 4 wheels if needed.

Keep your shiney side up.
                    It is a great big beautiful world out there
                    Brent in GA
                    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Good luck
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Working...
                      X