Electronics Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics Question

So I am cheap and adventurous and want to try and build some led turn signals. Ever seen those scrolling led turn signals ambulances have? Like this

http://www.ilfireandpoliceequip.com/...gnal-p443.html

I can't afford $160 though for turn signals though.

So this is where I appeal to the collective mind here and ask, what sort of parts would I need to find to cause the individual rows to light up and stay lit one after the other until the whole array is lit and the process starts over. Also it needs to be done in the short amount of time that the flasher is sending power to the light.

I have some ideas how but don't know enough to be sure. If I figure out how to do this I would put it all on perf board.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Check these guys out, I think they will have something you can use that will be pretty much a plugnplay thing. If you were to try and go out and buy all the LED's and controls individaually, it would cost much more and then it would drive you nut's getting everything to work propperly. I had a tail/brake/turn unit on my Speedmaster that I got from them and it worked like a champ. All I had to do was connect the bike's wires to the unit I got from them and wala. http://www.customdynamics.com/knight..._light_bar.htm
    Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

How many rows are you wanting to animate? You could go with multiple 555's in a series of CR circuits with each one powering the next. But, if you have more than a few stages, it would be a PITA. I am sure there is a much simpler solution, though.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I was thinking at least 10 rows, maybe more depending on what that looks like and brightness. Some of the rows could be connected I guess, never thought of that.

Cost wise, leds with solder leeds and diodes, transistors, resistor are cheap. If I spent $50 to make 2 I would be surprised. Time and frustration that's free
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

This guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irntF...feature=relmfu ...has done what I think you're trying to do, but if you look at his setup, he's got quite a bit of 'stuff' to do it...

He's got multiple videos showing different versions. I'm sure those commercial models you're looking at have purpose-built ICs for drivers which is why they cost what they do.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Build it for $24

Here:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...p?number=C6398
            Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Definitely something to look at!

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              This guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irntF...feature=relmfu ...has done what I think you're trying to do, but if you look at his setup, he's got quite a bit of 'stuff' to do it...

He's got multiple videos showing different versions. I'm sure those commercial models you're looking at have purpose-built ICs for drivers which is why they cost what they do.
              Seems like he is trying to make a super computer when all you want is something to run old 8" floppy disk.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It all adds up

Hi DAVINCI,
                um, $24 only builds you one, so it's $48 for the two red arrows at the rear.
                Or $96 if they make amber arrows for the front.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X