Fairing Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing Radios

Here is a question I have been idly wondering for awhile. Has anyone who runs a newer radio(or older for that matter) in their fairing, had issues with water or from rain? I haven't put speakers or a radio in my fairing yet, I ride to work as often as possible, and sometimes the bike gets caught out in the rain. I dont want to buy a radio for it and have it spark out the first time it sprinkles. Plus, I work third shift, and usually by the time I get off work, my bike is sopping wet from the night's condensation.

Just curious!
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

They make 'marine' versions for that sort of application, but I'm not so sure even those are all that good if they get really wet....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

i keep a gallon zip lock bag in the fairing and pull it over the front of the radio when it rains or if i leave it out overnight. Kind of ghetto but it works for me
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

I have a newer HD radio with CD player with a removable face in my cyclesounds. I don't have the Vetter radio cover for it though (maybe some day). I have ridden in everything but a monsoon and never had a problem. The only issue I ever had was this last weekend when I washed the bike. I took the face off, and accidentally sprayed water directly at the radio. The speakers made a few pops, but stopped after about 15 seconds. I re-installed the face, and the radio played fine, except for the fact that it would not turn off or change stations/volume. I then discovered a reset button under the face of the radio, and after pressing that, all is back to normal.

The speakers I am running are cheap, $12 ones from Autozone. They are plastic cones and have never shown the slightest effects from water, even sprayed directly at them when I rinse the soap off.

Originally, I had a classic, AM/FM/tape-player in there, and it never had an issue with water at all. I never protected it from wash water and I DID ride in a monsoon with it. I lost the knobs off of it when rode to MOTM, so that was the only reason I replaced it. That, and the fact that I got the new radio from a friend for free.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Need to have something to cover the unit. I came across a cover that covers the whole unit including the speakers and snaps each corner covering speakers onto fairing. There USED to be a flip-up cover that was made to protect stereo unit, but I remember the first pothole bike hit it flipped up, broke the plastic pins and flew back over my head hitting the pavement shattering. I keep the present cover on it as it is a fancy Alpine deck. The speakers are all-weather Polk audio and the set-up DOES put out some serious sound. I more often use the MP3 player mounted on bike, but leave stereo unit on bike, as it IS a structual support for the fairing. With age, these fairings get brittle and I have seen a few with a split, broken bout center point on backside of windshield.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Picked up a Cycle Sounds enclosure with the waterproof speakers, Laminar antenna and radio enclosure for $48. Then found a cheapo($29) Pyle Radio with AM/FM/SD/USB.

Works Great. Just rode from work an hour and a half in a downpour and listened to it all the way home.
            Richard

Comment

having owned my sg for12yrs. never any problems wit radio and down pours. radios always crap out.
              when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
              80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

$80 JVC deck with MP3 hookup. $40 JVC 4" 2 ways

I live in a very wet area. and have been rained on. For the most part the fairing covers the stereo when parked and its raining. If your worried I'd buy a marine flip cover off flea-bay. I've got same stereo in my 22 Foot Jet boat with a marine cover over it and crash thru the waves in the Columbia River and have no issues. YMMV.

Another good investment is a "travel" cover, they are elastic on the bottom and just cover the upper part of the bike. They roll up really small into a bag you can stuff into your luggage or box in the fairing. When parked and worried about wet you pull it out of the bag and cover. I have one I take with me when we go to the coast to keep the sea mist off the controls over night. it was well worth the $30. the first time I used it we woke up that morning with the wonderful Pacific Coast mist rolling around. Pulled off cover, shook off wet bike was nice and dry.
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                  Picked up a Cycle Sounds enclosure with the waterproof speakers, Laminar antenna and radio enclosure for $48. Then found a cheapo($29) Pyle Radio with AM/FM/SD/USB.

Works Great. Just rode from work an hour and a half in a downpour and listened to it all the way home.

I went to the Cycle Sounds website, I couldn't find that set up?
                  Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                    I went to the Cycle Sounds website, I couldn't find that set up?
                    this is all old school my friend. hit ebay
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

The bane of my life and wallet...Ebay...sigh. I don't know, maybe this will just start a new fashion trend instead...you know, the minimalist look?

Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                        The bane of my life and wallet...Ebay...sigh. I don't know, maybe this will just start a new fashion trend instead...you know, the minimalist look?

Is that the fairing you have? If so, you don't need the Cyclesounds unit. The Pacifico has the radio and speaker spots built in. Cyclesounds is only for the Vetter fairing.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

radio covers

most boat shops sell water proof covers for radios and you can water proof the speakers by gluing a thin sheet of plastic over the speaker face or wrap them in Sarand wrap. before installing them, but with all the new ipods out now why go to the extra expence
                          Fastmover
                          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                          lion". SHL
                          78 XS1100e

Comment

Ah, the radio cover and antennae is what got my attention My antennae was rusted away when I got the fairing.
                            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                            X