Hillbilly/Redneck machine tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillbilly/Redneck machine tools

Rather than hijack a tech thread I'll start this one.
    I had to ask "what is a Redneck lathe?" and was told:-
    "it's AKA a Hillbilly lathe;
    a slab of nearly circular metal plate bolted to a bench grinder spindle and set to run while being shaped into a disc by holding a file against it."
    Here are some others;-
    Re-shape a cylindrical object by chucking it in a power drill and holding a file against it as it spins. Alternatively, spin it against a bench grinder.
    Hold a valve in a bench drill to sand the carbon off it.
    A bench drill will also work as a vertical lathe, using a file or emery tape on the workpiece.
    Or as a vertical grinding fixture, use in conjunction with an angle grinder
    And as a press (unplug it for this one) to hold a screwdriver bit down hard onto a stuck cab jet to back it out by hand turning the drill chuck.
    Absent a chopsaw, cut steel with a 7" abrasive disc in a Skilsaw or a 9" or 10" abrasive disc in a table saw.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
    Rather than hijack a tech thread I'll start this one.
    I had to ask "what is a Redneck lathe?" and was told:-
    "it's AKA a Hillbilly lathe;
    a slab of nearly circular metal plate bolted to a bench grinder spindle and set to run while being shaped into a disc by holding a file against it."
    Here are some others;-
    Re-shape a cylindrical object by chucking it in a power drill and holding a file against it as it spins. Alternatively, spin it against a bench grinder.
    Hold a valve in a bench drill to sand the carbon off it.
    A bench drill will also work as a vertical lathe, using a file or emery tape on the workpiece.
    Or as a vertical grinding fixture, use in conjunction with an angle grinder
    And as a press (unplug it for this one) to hold a screwdriver bit down hard onto a stuck cab jet to back it out by hand turning the drill chuck.
    Absent a chopsaw, cut steel with a 7" abrasive disc in a Skilsaw or a 9" or 10" abrasive disc in a table saw.
    I have used every one of those methods at one time or another Fred.

I guess I are one........
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Fred, somebody's gonna die, right after saying "Hey, Y'all! Look what I read about on the interwebs."
      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I'm not a redneck or a hillbilly....I'm a Cajun but still, sometimes you just gotta make do with what you have. And believe me, a drill press or grinder motor is a step up for many people. I too think at one time or another I have done all of those.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Take a cutoff wheel for an angle grinder mount it to a large bolt and nut with lockwasher, mount the bolt in your hand drill and you have a redneck ceramic tile saw. you can make circles with it if you take your time.

In absence of anything better, when my mother bought a side of beef, I took my 7-1/2" circular saw, cleaned the blade really well and wiped it with alchohol then used it to cut up the beef. I looked really intimidating covered with the shavings that spit out of it, and bone smells really nasty when cut like that.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            ...a slab of nearly circular metal plate bolted to a bench grinder...
            And before it was circular, I cut it out with a jig saw

-Dremel "lathe" for filing the heads and shoulders off of float pins
            -Table saw with standard blade did a great job on copper sheet for counter top
            -Soldering iron for plastic welding

I know there's more, I just can't think of them right now (too early).
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              In absence of anything better, when my mother bought a side of beef, I took my 7-1/2" circular saw, cleaned the blade really well and wiped it with alchohol then used it to cut up the beef. I looked really intimidating covered with the shavings that spit out of it, and bone smells really nasty when cut like that.

I had a buddy that had some cows and a business in town. One morning, a cow was having troubles giving birth so he had to pull the calf. He tied the cow by a rope to a tree, pulled the calf, then took the calf to the barn. By the time he'd come back, the cow had strangled itself on the rope. He called me and told me I could have the cow since he didn't have time to mess with her, otherwise it would just go to waste.

I also was not prepared with the proper tools... lol. I had to get her to a manageable size, so I used a come-a-long to haul her up into the air by a hind leg from an old oak tree, gutted her, then had to use all I had at the time with no plug-ins anywhere around. I drained the oil from the automatic oiler, cleaned the blade as best I could... and fired up the chainsaw. Yup... reminded me of a horror flick. Got her into barely mangeable quarters to get her home to a cleaner environment for processing.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hillbilly/Redneck machine tools

When I first saw the title, I thought Fred was going to make fun of the tools I make up to remove the cylinders or valves, etc.. lol.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I must confess that I am a bit disapointed with this. I was hoping that someone had a new idea here but I have had to resort to all of this at least once or twice.

I do have a new one though, I know a guy that spent almost a month (using proper redneck tools) modifying a half inch drill chuck and attaching it to an old chain saw to he could use it out in the woods in the spring to tap maple trees for sap. He then spent almost as much time in the hospital contemplating the fact that drill bits ain't supposed to turn that fast!
                  The Old Tamer
                  1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                    ..Table saw with standard blade did a great job on copper sheet for counter top
                    A table saw works great for cutting non-ferrous metals with a carbide-tipped blade. The blade should have 40 teeth or more (don't install it backwards; that pops all the carbide tips off!), set blade depth so it's just sticking through the material, and feed the metal in slowly; the thicker the metal, the slower the feed. Wear eye protection, this makes nasty chips!!!

With a sharp blade and proper technique, this will give a machined-edge finish...
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You're right on as usual, Steve. It did a great job cutting the copper, and as for the nasty chips, I pulled a lot of copper out of my.
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                      X