My new Yamaha...sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Yamaha...sort of

I needed a commuter car something fierce for my 75 mile round trip commute and $4.39/g gas prices. I found this '89 Mid-engine Run-about 2-seater (MR2). Afterwards, I learned that Yamaha designed the head to make these little 1600cc motors have more performance. It's a pretty cool setup where each cylinder has to separate ports that lead to the two intake valves. One has a butterfly valve on it that stays closed until 4200 RPM. It keeps the velocity up on the lower end and allows more airflow when needed on the topend. It makes for a much funner commute and I'm getting 35 mpg in mixed city/hwy.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Looks to be in great cond. too 81XS. An interesting added note to the Yammy heritage.......our 2003 Ford Escape with the 3.0L V6 is ALL Yamaha. Dual-overhead cam 4valve and uses a timing chain, no belt. Now having 99,000 mi. on it, it's getting its first set of plugs changed. Maint. cost has been one front wheel bearing and two sets of wiper blades. Plenty of snappy power and 10,000ft. mountain passes do not faze its power. Looks like Yamaha scored for Ford.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Have fun with that Jesse!

The Ford SHO V8 is basically all Yamaha too.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Funny you should mention that, Nate.

I've been considering a SHO V8 for my next combo family car & cruiser.
        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Yeah, I believe Yamaha Marine designed the SHO motor. Supposed to be an awesome motor with a long life (imagine that...).

Love the car. Super fun to drive. Yamaha wasn't the only on with their hand in it. The Lotus designed suspension is pretty awesome, too.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
          X