Member Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member Support

Not sure what the collective opinion is on this but here goes. I was considering buying an 83 Venture Royale and signed up on their web site so I could investigate inherent problems. I never did buy it but what stuck out in my mind was a questionaire in the registration process which I thought was a good idea. It asked if you had a trailer for vehicle recover, if yes; would you be willing to assist a fellow rider in distress. How far would you be willing to travel to provide recovery support and what type of shop assistance could you assist with. Would you be able to provide overnight accomodation, a meal or perhaps a beer. (Thats my idea ) Obviously and emergency contact number would need to be provided, but I thought what a great idea when planning a trip to have safe zones along the way. Your thoughts.
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

I belong to that forum also and at first I was a little apprehensive of putting my contact information ( I still have small kids at home and didn't want strangers showing up unannounced) but after I got to know some of them I went ahead and filled that info out.

I think it’s a great idea, if only members can see the information, but we can do the same thing by a help needed post I'm sure someone will almost always be willing to help.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Although I don't know where it is, I think we have something like that on here.
      Don't we?
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

I think something similar has been discussed and for whatever reason went by the wayside. Personally if any XSer was in my area and I could help I would. Maybe not the provide a bed part but hell yeah camp in my back yard, have a beer and work on any bike problem.
        I would love to be able to input into my GPS any members who are close to my route in case I had a breakdown or other emergency situation. There are about 9 people within 100 miles of me that own XS's or are members that I know of. While some may not invite a total stranger into their home (my wife for example) none would let a brother down when they needed help.
        If someone was in my area and needed a truck or trailer or parts or whatever I could offer I would be there. Another thing is that as you live in the area one could help with ideas, such as which shop to buy a tire or where to camp while passing thru. What sights to see etc.
        The only problem I can see is if the info is put online then all the spammers can see it. There would be a need for some kind of identification be it a password or something like a member card to present.
        The one thing that I know of that we have is the member by area thing where we can look up people who live where we would like to travel and make notes of where they are before departure. PIA I know but hey if you are 2000 miles from home and broke down at least you would know if someone was close by and may be able to help.
        Long story shortened is that if any of you are in Central Alberta Canada I will help if I can
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I know I have mentioned this in the past at the .org site...cant recall if i did here...but the basic concept i have in my mind comes from another m/c forum I belong to ...ST-Owners.com
          They have what is known as a RAN list...Riders Assistance Network...and it is broken down by states. Basically a member on the RAN list provides contact info and a short memo about what they can offer those whon would be in need of help. I have seen this work out quite well with folks being out of their own states needing help. Help notices would go thru the main forum website to alert those who might be in a position to help... Problem doing that here is we dont have as many active members and they arent(by and large) really taking these machines on extended LD rides anymore...well at least not this old fart...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Good idea

I would definatly be up to help out any fellow xsers. i have a garage full of tools and plenty of space to work in my garage. im not sure about the staying overnight thing but i could provide transport to a hotel or campground. i will join up if there was to be somthing set up to do so. im planning a trip later this summer to illinois to ride with my brother for a weekend and that offers some peice of mind.
            1982 xj 1100
            "The Ape"
            http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

Comment

Support

Well I'm about 90 minutes from the Alexandria Bay border crossing. I have trailer, tools, parts and a small apartment with beer fridge attached to my shop that can sleep four comfortably. Anyone with a breakdown or just passing thru is more than welcome here. If in distress just give me a call, if riding through call ahead and I'll come guide you to my place.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA

78 XS 11E
              IOTA

Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

Great Idea

Or so it seems to me. I have enough tools to get into trouble, and space to camp out or an extra bedroom if someone needed it out here in Alabama.
                Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Great Idea...

...Mack, this potentially, could give our evergrowing community a bit of the human touch, that seems to dwindle, as technology pushes forward.
                  Also more riders may plan LD trips, having the saftey net in place.
                  It would be nice to have a handful of contact info in an unfamiliar area JIC.

I would be glad to lend a hand to a rider in need if I would be available at the time.

I have a trailer, garage/shop tools, some parts a little know how and this site for everything else that could remedy a hiccup in ones trip.

A meal and a place to lay ones head could be arranged if necessary.

PM me for contact info.
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

This is something that could be talked up at the rallies. We already have smaller communities within this group, and many have grown to know one another quite well.

If you haven't attended an XS rally, there are opportunities coming up. That is where this group becomes more personal.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Here's a map

Someone on here put a map together with XSives.
                      Here's the thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27481
                      Here's a link to the map on ZeeMaps: http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=153721

I'm on here. It can be a useful tool to find the location of members, then you can PM them when/if you're in the area.

Phil, CatatonicBug and Marty on listed in here too.

If we can get everyone to pinpoint their locations, then I'd be easier to find out who's where and who'd be willing to help out a fellow XSer.
                      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                      The Green Monster
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                      Got him in '04.
                      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                      Scarlet
                      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                      Got her in '11
                      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                      Hugo
                      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                      Cold weather ride

Comment

I'm on the map now.
                        The only hitch that I see with that site is no way to securely leave contact info.

" If you haven't attended an XS rally, there are opportunities coming up. That is where this group becomes more personal."

That, Marty is in the works, but probably won't be til next season as the Eleven is still disassembled.
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

As far as the contact info, as long as you have your posted XS11.com handle/name then they can contact you thru this site via PM or thread.
                          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                          The Green Monster
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                          Got him in '04.
                          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                          Scarlet
                          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                          Hugo
                          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

Located

great idea. I'm on the map now. I've been on this forum for what 2 years now and still don't know half the tools available. Thanx.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA

Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

If anyone ever breaks down in the Portland, OR metro Area I'm on the map and I get message email updates. I've got email on my smart phone so I'm minutes from receiving a message. I've got trailer, truck, tools, and a full Beer-fer

As for a room.... I could hook a Fella up with a Tent or Transport to hotel. I think if I let a stranger sleep under the roof my Wife would make me sleep out in the living room with them like a slumber party
                              Don
                              1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X