No announcement yet.

Anybody ever do any stoplight racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning an Injected and modified R1 (152 bhp @ 11,000 stock) I'd feel a little silly racing on my XS.... as its fun to ride, but it feels like someone took a spark plug or 2 out of it compared to the R1 when giving it the business!

With that said I have raced a few Harley's on it successfully. What amazes me is the Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette guys that always come after my R1.... LOL!
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

True enough!

That said, I think the 11 doesn't really lack in power. Power on the 11 is very respectable. The weight of the bike is the killer. My mod VTR is 200 pounds lighter wet with fuelthan a stock XS1100. Those are hard numbers to beat in performance, particularly in the world of racing. But the 11 is fun and quick enough, to be sure, and makes the most of the I4 sound when set up correctly!
      Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
        True enough!

That said, I think the 11 doesn't really lack in power. Power on the 11 is very respectable. The weight of the bike is the killer. My mod VTR is 200 pounds lighter wet with fuelthan a stock XS1100. Those are hard numbers to beat in performance, particularly in the world of racing. But the 11 is fun and quick enough, to be sure, and makes the most of the I4 sound when set up correctly!
        In the world it came from the 11 was the BOSS! My buddy's Gl1100 Goldwing gets left behind alot when we cruise the baggers

The more I ride the XS the less I ride my R1... the comfort is hard to beat. and it handles very well for its age and size. But I agree that 436 lbs wet and 150+ HP is numbers that are just crazy... sometimes the weight to power ratio of the R1 is almost unusable... ALMOST
        Don
        1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

...But try a v-rod in the corners...
          Harley's got a new(er) version of the Vrod out now (the 'muscle'?) that's got better suspension and cornering clearance, as well as mid-controls, that's supposedly pretty damn good. Still 'kinda' a cruiser, but much better than 'normal' cruiser handling. And 11.3 quarters....

If only it wasn't water cooled....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I don't normally even bother LOOKING at a Harley, but up in Oklahoma City by a theater we were at, there's a Harley dealership across the street and we had about 45 minutes to kill before our movie, so I went and looked. Didn't know anything about the V-rod, but saw it on the sidewalk and was thinking, "This is the first Harley I'd ever consider even sitting on.."

About that time, a salesman came up and started giving the sales pitch. Blah blah this and blah blah that. Then he slaps my arm and says, "Dude! This thing will do 11 second 1/4 miles!"

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "You just lost me. I've got a 30 year old Yamaha that does that..." You should have seen the dejected look on his face as I walked away.

The one thing I can say about them is that they are quiet.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Last night there were a couple of cars fooling around light to light, kind of getting obnoxious in front of me. Switching lanes in search of dominance and superiority. They were a Mazda RX..whatever and a nicely souped up Lexus coupe with a very nice exhaust note. Well, I got tired of their antics and at the next light I just took off, and left them in the dust. At the next light they both dropped their windows, slackjawed, and stared. The light changed again and I was gone....
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                I don't normally even bother LOOKING at a Harley, but up in Oklahoma City by a theater we were at, there's a Harley dealership across the street and we had about 45 minutes to kill before our movie, so I went and looked. Didn't know anything about the V-rod, but saw it on the sidewalk and was thinking, "This is the first Harley I'd ever consider even sitting on.."

About that time, a salesman came up and started giving the sales pitch. Blah blah this and blah blah that. Then he slaps my arm and says, "Dude! This thing will do 11 second 1/4 miles!"

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "You just lost me. I've got a 30 year old Yamaha that does that..." You should have seen the dejected look on his face as I walked away.

The one thing I can say about them is that they are quiet.
                I'd ride a V-rod only in the Dark-Rod forum thou... looks sporty with forward controls...

With that said I'm pretty sure the first time I tried to dig real hard in a corner and it failed to impress me, as I'm gonna assume it will.... I'd have to pull over and kick myself in the balls for buying a $20k bike that corners like my diesel truck!
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

$15-16K for a 2012 Night Rod...

I test rode a '10 Night Rod that was souped up to the tune of $18K when I still had my 11. The thing would probably tear an XS11 in half. It was a truly powerful motorcycle. But when I got back to the dealer, I asked if he had rear sets for it--the forward controls caused too much heel dragging, and I just couldn't get used to that with the kind of speed the bike had.

Different bike than an 11 for sure, and can easily be built to have way more power than one. Handling will always be cruiser category, though, with that mile-long rake...

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

$15-16K for a 2012 Night Rod...

I test rode a '10 Night Rod that was souped up to the tune of $18K when I still had my 11. The thing would probably tear an XS11 in half. It was a truly powerful motorcycle. But when I got back to the dealer, I asked if he had rear sets for it--the forward controls caused too much heel dragging, and I just couldn't get used to that with the kind of speed the bike had.

Different bike than an 11 for sure, and can easily be built to have way more power than one. Handling will always be cruiser category, though, with that mile-long rake...
                    I've got an 02 R1 that would eat the V-rod alive even if I shifting @ 5k... R1 has only got a lil 1000cc motor

I do like the styling of the V-Rod. But I've never been a big Harley guy. I just think My Yamaha's would beat it up as soon as I turned the lights off in the garage.... Kinda like when the wife's, friends, husband (whom you can't stand) gets invited over, and you get the "now you 2 boy's behave!"
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I have no doubt of your R1 tearing up a V-rod---I have a couple bikes that will do that myself. Your R1 will rip an 11 to shreds equally quickly, though.

Remember that you are not comparing similar bikes. The V-rod is not a sportbike, making that comparison more akin to: my Mustang GT will be your Suburban. I always thought the V-rod was closer to the 11 specs-wise than any of the other HD's. It makes a little more power, and weighs a little less, but is solidly a sport-cruiser just like the 11.

Look at some of the CVO Revolution motors sometime. They make power into the 160-170 hp range, and the HD's do some respectable drag racing. Not in the in-liner ranges, but impressive nonetheless.

And to be clear, I'm not endorsing one over another, but I just want to set straight the just because it says HD it is not the run-of-the-mill Vista-cruiser. My fast bike of choice is a Honda, my second is a Yamaha, and the HD is for when my butt and back don't feel up to the first two!

Comment

In drag racing the last about 10 years the HD has been king... All that torque. I've ridden my buddies Buell a few times. I'm not a fan of the styling but what a machine that is. Its like riding a big bore dirt bike. point and throttle... then hope you land where you were aiming. and I agree with you the newer HD motors can be very powerful units. I'd just like them to make something a little more sporty (other than the Buell) I'd love to see a GP style open class super bike with a v-twin in it. But I'm not sure how well balanced it would be. Ducati's L-twin rocks all comers. It may not be the most powerfull of its class on paper, but it will out corner most anything in its class. the way they place the motor in a Ducati Super Bike makes it very hard to work on but its balance is amazing...

Anyways I fear I have led us down another bunny trail... back to stop light racing talk
                        Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Anyways I fear I have led us down another bunny trail...

This close to Easter, isn't that allowed? "Here comes Peter Cottontail, hoppin' down the bunny trail.. "

Now, try to get that frikkin stupid song out of your head! lol..
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I got beat

On my way home from the XS11 meet up north and on the freeway near Bakersfield I saw a HD sounding thing go by me about 3 lanes over while I was doing 100 MPH. I hit the throttle hard and even shifted into 4th so I could go faster than 125, and at 140 he was pulling away from me at a rate that would put him somewhere in the 160 plus area. Sounded like a Hardly, but if it was he really put some serious dollars in it... Ate up the XS really bad.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Probably wasn't Harley then... one shortcoming with all but the V-Rod is Harleys don't tolerate high RPM. 7K is about the fastest you want to turn one unless you don't mind regular replacement of the rod bearings/crankpin. Go above 7500 and the motor is on borrowed time. The stroker motors don't even like it that high.

But you might have run into one with a big-inch, big-torque motor and if you gear them high enough or run one of the double-overdrive six-speed trannys that are out there they'll pull some scary speeds...
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah

Like I thought too, if it was a Hardly it probably had about $40,000 in extra work and mods. Whatever it was it certainly was scary fast...
                                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                                Drilled airbox
                                Tkat fork brace
                                Hardly mufflers
                                late model carbs
                                Newer style fuses
                                Oil pressure guage
                                Custom security system
                                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...