Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    But you can sell them for more....

Being a Harley owner as well as an XS owner, I see both sides. Both bikes have their charms and shortcomings, it's all about what you like. Yeah, there's a lot of 'richard craniums' riding Harleys (and 'wings and BMWs too from what I've seen), but nearly all of the HD lot are posers, there's plenty of 'real' HD owners that are no different than XS riders, you just don't notice them as they're not the loud obnoxious types.

The 'Made in America' thing? Tod's right, you won't find much that's wholly made here anymore. Harley buys their cast wheels, gauges, forks, rear shocks, carbs (when they still used them) from off-shore sources and have for years. Go to the dealer and buy 'accessories' and nearly all of that stuff comes from overseas. With that said, I do try to 'buy American' as best I can so more of my money stays here.

It's bit ironic now, as I've found many of the new parts I've bought for my XS's are made here, as Yamaha quit offering parts for these years ago and it's the American aftermarket that's stepped up to furnish parts....
    That would be one of my buddies who bought a softail new in '08 tells everyone he owns one and how he has customized it and if I am there I correct him and say I customized it as I have done all the work all he did was pay for the parts and it spends most of the time just sitting in his garage as of last I checked it only has 1500kms on it.
    '79 XS11SF

Comment

I ride with a local group here occasionally, and most of them are on some version of a Hardley. The last time I rode with them, one of the leaders approached me and mentioned that I probably had the fastest bike in the group. Nice to know that some people still recognize the XS for the beast it is.

With the XS, most of us are limited to procuring parts that are as close to OEM as possible, in an effort to keep them on the road. We don't have the aftermarket farkles available to us that the HD folks like to spend the $$ on. I do agree that spending $30k on a bike is a bit much, but if you look across the board, there is a range in prices from all of the modern bike manufacturers, just like there is for cages. As an example, you can spend big bucks on a Hummer, but they are infamous for needing continual expensive repairs. If you buy an economy bike and keep it stock, the cost is not going to be extraordinary. If you choose to "pimp" your bike and get all the "custom" pieces, you're going to pay through the nose - but that's your choice, and again, not an option we have with the XS.

Seems to me, if you keep a modern HD stock, it might actually be easier to pick it out of the crowd too.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        Seems to me, if you keep a modern HD stock, it might actually be easier to pick it out of the crowd too.
        Maybe....

The big thing with Harleys is all the models available, and sub-models within the bike lines. Harley is constantly shuffling parts around to come up with 'new' models, so finding a so-called 'stock' bike can be very hard unless you're extremely familar with all the variations that they sell. Add in the fact that the dealers will install goodies before they go on the showroom floor (many times just to inflate the price) and finding a dead stock bike isn't easy unless you order one... That's particularly true on the big twins, not so much on the Sportsters and V-rods.

The other thing that's interesting is that chrome replacement parts are many times cheaper than stock parts if you're buying new, so few can resist....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...