Need an Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an Opinion

I baught a 1978 XS1100 E off a guy about a year ago, but it needed alot of work and was not in the best condition. Sense then, I have baught a Suzuki Volusia and love it. Now the XS1100 is under a tarp in a shed in the back yard, really just taking up space. I want to get rid of it and was thinking someone here may want to purchase it as a parts bike, or possible a rebuild bike for someone with alot of time on their hands. The bike does have a fairing and hard saddle bags (that do need work, but could be sold seperatly), but the rest of the bike has obviosly been neglected and I really don't know if it is worth anything.

Is their a market for a bike like this...and if so how much is a fair price, to both me and the buyer? Would I be better off parting out the bike or selling it as a whole?

Any information will be appreciated.

Chris

Boy, a loaded question....

If the bike is complete, I would rather see it fixed up. In reality, you would get more for it as parts, but that requires extra work and time on your part.

Price depends a lot on local market as well as over-all condition. In general, $300.00 is about the upper limit for a parts bike, and it would have to be in decent condition to get that much. (engine turn over, brakes work, seat/cosmetics salvageable, have keys for saddle bags, so on...) Lots of people on this list picked up good runners and paid between $600 - $1,000. (A few paid more, some paid less, even free!)

Bags and fairings can be sold by themselves and you would get a bit more that way. Vetter stuff in good shape is going for $150 - $350, but again, in winter (generally less interest) shipping costs (farther away from a major market = more expensive), and condition can make the prices vary a great deal.

Condition and location, the mantra of used bikes and parts......
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey, Chris, if you're willing to part out....I need the side covers if they're not cracked. Interested?

Randy

Comment

Randy,

I would have to check and see what kind of condition they are in (there are only two of them?). Are you planning on painting them? I know I used one side pannel to experiment a paint scheme (deep blue almost purple...looked real good), and I think the other one is still at my buddies house who did the painting. I would rather sell the bike as a whole, as it it just taking up space, but if you give me a fair price for them I will hunt them down and ship them out...just let me know.

Chris

Comment

As I will be re-painting them, the current color does not matter. What is a fair price?

Comment

Working...
          X