A big thank you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big thank you!

Wanted to take the time to thank everyone for taking the time to help me along my path of my projects. Tearing apart the last worldly thing I have that was my Dad's was not something I looked forward to. But with all your hand holding we got it done. The old bike runs like a champ!

Next winter you guys can walk me thru the 2nd gear fix...

Thanks Fella's!!!!

Don
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Why wait until next winter? That's a weekend job.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

by the end of the year I'll have over 50k on the old dog... I plan on taking the whole motor out and doing a bunch of other things.... while I'm in there we will pull gears and play with the die grinder...

I've learned how to ride it without pissing off 2nd gear. Before I go to Yellowstone next year I want to know that everything inside the case is golden. 1 time 1 shot.

sorry thats the long explanation Greg.... the short explanation is... CUZ
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Man, I would love to ride Yellowstone. Lived in Billings (60 miles away) for years but didn't have a bike to speak of so never did. Drove through there a lot though.

You will need 2nd there in the mountains.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Man, I would love to ride Yellowstone. Lived in Billings (60 miles away) for years but didn't have a bike to speak of so never did. Drove through there a lot though.

You will need 2nd there in the mountains.
          Ya i can fudge around it here in the Cascades using 3rd. But I don't wanna pull the Rockies without a strong 1st and 2nd. I also wanna put a new cam chain in it lap some valves and maybe do rings and bearings... that way when my Son gets it, its about time for him to learn how to work on it

My parents and a pair of their close friends (we called them aunt and uncle as kids) use to ride from Vancouver, WA to Yellowstone on this very bike (Roy and Rebecca on their Goldwing) every summer when I was a really young kid. I've had my Mom map the route out for me and I plan on following in the foot steps of my Father next summer. Vancouver to Yellowstone Via Coeur d'Alene, ID. Home thru Jackson Hole, WY Across to Park City, UT into Reno, NV then back north to home.

I may differ the path to get me into Kaycee, WY to go to the Chris LeDoux museum

I have to find a Buffalo to get a pic of me, the bike, and the buffalo. so my Mom can hang it next to the pic of my Dad, the bike, and a Buffalo
          Don

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

There is plenty of Buffalo in northern Wyoming, southern Montana. You'll find some. If you don't, just ask.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I had a good time last night riding this old thing around... I beat on it pretty good on the back roads and she just wanted more. As long as I'm light on 2nd or shift before 5k we get along just fine. like I said I've learned how to ride it without pissing off 2nd.

I don't ride this one too hard I use it as a cruiser for the most part... My 02 YZF-R1 is for beating on! but I wanted to thump on it a bit with the work and mod's to see where we stood. I like the auto CCT it seems to be more responsive and idle better... but that could be the Valve adjustment too as all the intake valves were too tight!
              Don

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
              X