run over latley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• run over latley

first nite ride on the 11 after getting her running this spring when we came across six baby racoons in the road, looked like they lost thier mom, i tried to avoid but one deciced to run for it he never made it.

What did you rum into?

The year-1980,the bike-1978 CB 750-K [yes,another standard]with vetter fairing and crash bars. Summersville Lake is "drained" every fall to winter pool level. During this time boat launching is only capable at one location: an old two-lane hard top road with a gradual slope leading into the water. The locked gate access is only open during fall draining.
    Riding XSively [parden the pun] after dark with POOR lighting,I suddenly saw in the dim yellow glow of the sealed beam headlight
    the road ahead disappearing into the water. I had the rear tire smoking- hard on the brakes, and during the last 23 ft. of up-right riding even the front tire was leaving a skid mark! [I went back the next day just to look at the skid marks] Just before entering the water I told myself to lay the bike down [onto it's side] or else I would really be in deep-----water. As soon as "we" stopped I quickly up-righted the bike. The water was almost over all four mufflers and nearly to the bottom of the carbs! I pushed it up the hard top road out of the water. After some time, alternating the use of the electric starter and the kick starter it miraculously started. Water spurted out of the exhausts and after a few minutes the Honda smoothed out. I then went straight home, soaking wet and thanking my lucky stars!
    P.S. I also have hit a rabbit on the same bike doing 30 mph; the old girl barely made a wobble.
    Greg C.

Comment

Well folks had a good one tonight coming into work,,,,,changed lanes from left to right ,moved over behind a 18 wheeler, ,,was looking to the next move over right,and looked up to see a chrome hib cap come out from under the semi,,,,,frisbeeeing its way to me, lol,,what a rush,had time for a slight move to the left,,,,,,,it went under my right knee, about 2 feet away at at what seemed like bug 2,,,lol,,,,,rest of the ride was great,. Ride safe folks.
      Ken Krieger
      Chesterfield, Va.
      81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
      82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
      82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
      79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
      1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
      85 XJ700 Maxim
      06 VMax - Black Max
      85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

... nothing as exciting as raccoons or lakes, but I had an interesting 'run into' on the weekend. SWMBO and I were out for a nice spin south of town, sunny afternoon, very light traffic, cruising at bug "1 plus a bit" when I saw not just one, but two good sized bugs directly ahead. It kinda' looked like they were flying in formation, up a bit, down a bit over to one side then back again. Sure enough, they both hit the windshield at exactly the same time, at the same height, one to left of centre, and one to right. Like I said, not really spectacular or exciting or anything, but sure did look neat. Glad I've got a big windshield...
        Ken Talbot

Comment

bout 2 years ago, a friend stopped at my house. He had ZZR1100 (ZX1100 US I think), and I had 85 ZX600R. So, we decided to go to a local bikers bar and have a beer. The ride there is good too. Bout 4 miles of twisties and great tarmac.
          So, we rode there like lunatics, we both knew the road, when I hit a closed manhole or sth like that. It was night, and I just thaught, that there are no manholes, no sewers nothing... in the middle of the woods... So when we got there, he asked: Did u see the hedhehog?
          Yeah, I ran it over too...

My 1st and only roadkill...

Another time the same friend ran over a dead cat. I rode behind him, so I scraped cat guts from the bike for the next few days...

OK, this happened to another friend.
          He and another friend took a sunday ride, and the one that rode second sped up and yelled: U got a bird
          the first: What bird, r u nuts?
          Pull over!
          OK.
          When he pulled over he saw a sparrow stuck between the fork and the front mudguard...
          He got the bird...
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

rooster

One time I hit a pheasant (rooster) with my car. It was a couple hours later when I stopped for gas that we found that his head had caught in the bumper, he was hanging down, and the back half of him had eroded away on the pavement! Boy did we laugh--teenagers!
            David Browne
            XS11SG Crunchbird
            XS500E

Comment

What have you run into?

Has anyone encountered bats? After some night-time trail riding on my dual-purpose Honda XL, I discovered a dead bat hung up near the right front turn signal. Also, while on the XL, I had a bat fly into my chest and fall motionless onto my lap. I quickly brushed it off while still riding.
              Greg C. Summersville, W.V.
              1980 XS1100-G
              1979 XL 250-S

Comment

big bolt .Was rolling down 495 around Washington D.C. Got behind a big rig when out from under him it comes didn't have time to miss it so I hit it with front tire kicked up andhit the pipes .
                Lucky no damage done.

Comment

Roadkill

Driving cross country with my dad, somewhere in the midwest, he hit a skunk. Didn't know what it was for maybe 60 seconds.

Then we KNEW.

The odor was not really bad, but stayed with us for maybe an hour, till we stopped for gas. When we stopped, it got relly bad. I guess when most of it is wrapped up around the diff and back axels you're sorta leaving the smell behind you.

We gassed up really fast, and then drove a mile down the road. Jacked up the side of the car, and spent maybe ten minutes taking that thing off.
                  -----------
                  Another time, more recently, just after I bought my XS. I was on the freeway and saw a big metal frisbee (a hubcap) squirrling all over the place. I've had a broken fin on my engine ever since.

Stan
                  XS1100LG '80 Midnight Special

Comment

Working...
                  X