Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beg, borrow, buy, steal, rent.. Standard bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK then. Thank you!

Marty

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
    Nowhere do I say "perfect". I say best fit possible and the like. The guy is being smart as far as I am concerned. He is using my lines as the first XS lines to be built by him. I would rather he be anal retentive and do his first set to fit what they are supposed to fit. Then when they are available, there are not people writing into forums and saying as Marty has stated, Total crap and do not fit!
    After this first set is built he will then know they fit a stock bike and can supply them to XS11 owners knowing he is putting out a quality product. He also offers custom made lines etc for those who need shorter or longer lines. It would be impossible to make a "Kit" that would work for every set of bars imaginable. Guys with bars like Cuda has would of course have to be custom made.
    As with any of the lines currently available there will be people who prefer one type over another. The lines Marty shows are there for those who want them. Speigler, Galfer, and any other suppliers went to someone like myself to make their first pattern as well. Some members have had issues with the SS lines Ebay seller Coastguard had for sale while others did not.
    All I really am trying to accomplish is to make another set of SS brake lines available to not only forum members but anyone (possibly worldwide) who wants SS brake lines for XS11's. The more selection there is helps keep prices lower as well.
    I am not going to be selling them myself so I have nothing to gain by doing this. I am just a member trying to do a little something for us and others. All I wanted in the original post was for someone who may have a set of bars to sell or loan them to me so I could accomplish this. I only stated why, so anyone who wished to be helpful would know what I was up to.
    If, when it is all said and done, buyers are unhappy with the lines the market will speak for itself. If you think about it, what if TKAT said "oh fork braces have been done so no sense in doing that". Or TC said, "well fuseblocks are readily available to anyone who wants to look for them". Those guys put some effort into finding or making a product we all benefit from. I am only hoping that the lines made from my efforts will be similar. They may not, but I am trying.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I sent three sets of lines to this guy yesterday. Just to avoid any confusion he is making one set for Standards, another set to fit Specials and a third set to fit the LH. This is not a one line fits all application. He sells brake lines for other models of Yamaha's so this is not his first Rodeo either. I have also mentioned to him that most members would be interested in a single rear line as opposed to the three piece that was stock. That should/could be available.

As for two piece front lines, I have not yet broached the subject but myself prefer the stock three piece setup. If there is interest, I could maybe get that done but would prefer someone who has used them to chime in. Routing info and all that, or even use your present lines for patterns if they fit well.

Incidentaly all the standards show a single part number, even the venturer H model. If anyone knows for sure the H bars are higher or whatever than the E,F or G models please let me know. Scoot has offered me a set of bars off his 81H which I would love to use. However if the tank on a Venturer is indeed higher, not just wider and deeper I need to know. Thanks all
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Hi Rasputin,
        The Venturer tank certainly appears to be higher when viewed beside a standard. I have not measured it with a ruler though. The handle bars on mine have been identified as Goldwing which seems a fairly common swap. As they fit and are comfortable I am happy but unable to assist in your quest for measurements.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

send me a box first.

would you be able to send a box to me with prepaid shipping to ship it back to you? my set off my 1978 XS1100E is original( least i was told i don't know for sure) but if you can promise not to "steal" them as you stated, lol and can send me a prepaid box to ship them in(or at least Walmart/western union money order) as to i have no budget for this.. i will be happy to help in this endeavor.
          1978 XS1100 Macho Maroon!
          http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC00361.jpg

Comment

tell me

here is the best pic of my bars,, maybe you can tell if there standard or not.

Comment

I think Scoot has me covered on this, but I will get back to you Jfries if that does not pan out. Fredintoon also may have some that I could use but that is a month down the road. To send a box would cost me the same as shipping one way so I would have to check out Walmart/Western union unless you have paypal. I have never used either of those and do not have a clue how to do it but hey if it comes to it, I will get er dun. Thank you for the offer too.
              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

[QUOTE=Rasputin;360026] he is making one set for Standards, another set to fit Specials and a third set to fit the LH. I have also mentioned to him that most members would be interested in a single rear line as opposed to the three piece that was stock. That should/could be available.

Once your guy gets the Special set done I would be happy to do a test fit / ride for you! I'm just over the hill from you in Oliver, BC and am desirous of new brake lines. The one piece back line would be great. JAT Let me know what you think.
                1980 XS 1100 Special
                Mostly stock & original
                Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
                Torpedo bags
                New paint (still) pending
                Stainless brake lines
                Tkat forkbrace
                Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
                1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
                1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

yes i have pay-pal, not sure how much the shipping is both ways. but there are bars on eBay for 20$ you could always get those and do your fits then resell to get most your money back.. just a extra alternative.

Comment

I am pretty sure that the special I took the stock lines off of to send in as his pattern will suffice for a test fit. Thanks for the offer though. Once I get the first set here for clocking I will take pics and post them up. When the final lines are ready and mounted I will post pics then as well.
                    I am not sure how long this process will take as there is a lot of back and forth shipping to deal with. As soon as the whole thing is ready and pricing etc have been established I will post up a link to his site. The pricing he offers for other yamaha's is similar to other SS brake line suppliers. Some may like the end product while others will have different preferences.
                    Personally I have used sets from two different suppliers. Coastguard and Galfer, both sets worked fine for me. The Galfers were a much superior line and did have adjustable ends. They also cost quite a bit. Hopefully these lines will be better pricing and a good fit for everyone and we will have yet another option.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Jfries. Scoot has sent me a message and he is going to send me the bars so that should be what i need. Thanks for the info on the ebay bars as that certainly was an alternative. I just thought it would be easier to be sure they fit if gotten from a member as yourself. I have some doubts as to what ebay sellers think are stock parts. As I am not overly familiar with Standards bars I could easily buy the wrong ones and waste time and money.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Rasputin, I mailed the bars today.

I disguised the handlebar with bubble wrap and packing tape, then sprayed a little candy apple red to really throw the inspectors off.
                        Post Office clerk seems to be contemplating the possibilities

Anyway, I hope it all works out the way you want. Enjoy.

scoot

Comment

Kind of the same look I got when I sent the bars on to their next owner as specified by you. She was so confused that it took three post office people to work out how to send them. Hopefully DeanR has them by now and is happy. I took so long doing this that I would suspect he is a little more than PO'ed with me.

Originally posted by scoot View Post
                          Rasputin, I mailed the bars today.

I disguised the handlebar with bubble wrap and packing tape, then sprayed a little candy apple red to really throw the inspectors off.
                          Post Office clerk seems to be contemplating the possibilities

Anyway, I hope it all works out the way you want. Enjoy.

scoot
                          2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Now I know... was wondering whatever happened to those traveling bars.
                            Are you getting closer to a marketable product?

scoot

Comment

Yes, Scoot we have all the lines made and test fitted. Nice product too. I will have to take pics and post them up soon. Pretty much just waiting to see his pricing and part numbers etc.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Nope, the twisty red thing isn't quite here yet. Interesting look. Thanks guys.

Buy some of those brake lines folks!
                                80 SG
                                81 SH in parts
                                99 ST1100
                                91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X