Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beg, borrow, buy, steal, rent.. Standard bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beg, borrow, buy, steal, rent.. Standard bars?

I am working with a reputable dealer to make SS brake lines for all models of the XS1100. The lines when done should be available in both kit and individual pieces. I have pretty much all I need to pattern these lines and clock the fittings, (so they will fit everyones bikes when done) with the exception of a set of original bars for a Standard. Both of my Standards have aftermarket bars on them. Would anyone have a set of bars for a standard they are not using? Even bent bars would work as long as the brake handle side was intact and any damage was on the left side. If I could buy, rent, borrow, steal a set of Standard bars for a couple of weeks while I ship lines back and forth for fitment puposes it would be great. If you have a set I can borrow, I would pay shipping both ways.

Please let me know either PM or reply on this forum. I am in Canada for shipping purposes, and Prefer either Canada Post or USPS for shipping as it is the cheapest way to go. I did try Andreas and he has nothing by the way. By the way I need original bars here, and can not slap on any old bars as these will be the pattern set of lines that the rest will follow. Thanks to any or all who may help me in this endeavour.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

It's been done.

I've got a set of Speiglers (sp?) and all I had to do was call in my year, make, model.

Your signature says you have Galfers. So what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

S/S Lines

I am just about to order some stainless lines for my 1980 SG. Is your guy ready to take orders and if so, what is the price structure? All the online pricing I have found so far is in the $150 range for front and back.
      1980 XS 1100 Special
      Mostly stock & original
      Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
      Torpedo bags
      New paint (still) pending
      Stainless brake lines
      Tkat forkbrace
      Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
      1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
      1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

Rasputin,
        I can send you the bars off my 81 venturer. I cannot swear they are the original and correct bars, but they appear to be identical to the bars on my '80 standard.

scoot

Comment

Spieglers Brake Lines

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
          It's been done.

I've got a set of Speiglers (sp?) and all I had to do was call in my year, make, model.

Your signature says you have Galfers. So what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
          Here's a link to Spieglers website
          http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/cycle-...line-kits.html
          Current Rides:
          02 GL1800 Wing
          79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
          81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Davinci.. I am simply trying to improve our selection as to both price and availability. I notice ths speiglers site shows special models from 81-83. Yeah I know they are all the same .
            Barrelguy.. I am still in the patterning stage with these so pricing is not yet available.
            Scoot.. I have not seen a set of Venturer bars since 1981 so I am not sure how much higher they are. The parts numbers from Yamaha are the same for all standards including the H model venturer. They should work, if no one has a set off a E,F or G I will certainly keep those in mind. Thanks
            2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              I am working with a reputable dealer to make SS brake lines for all models of the XS1100. The lines when done should be available in both kit and individual pieces. I have pretty much all I need to pattern these lines and clock the fittings, (so they will fit everyones bikes when done) with the exception of a set of original bars for a Standard. Both of my Standards have aftermarket bars on them. Would anyone have a set of bars for a standard they are not using? Even bent bars would work as long as the brake handle side was intact and any damage was on the left side. If I could buy, rent, borrow, steal a set of Standard bars for a couple of weeks while I ship lines back and forth for fitment puposes it would be great. If you have a set I can borrow, I would pay shipping both ways.

Please let me know either PM or reply on this forum. I am in Canada for shipping purposes, and Prefer either Canada Post or USPS for shipping as it is the cheapest way to go. I did try Andreas and he has nothing by the way. By the way I need original bars here, and can not slap on any old bars as these will be the pattern set of lines that the rest will follow. Thanks to any or all who may help me in this endeavour.
              Doug have you checked with Recycle cycle, or edmonton cycles and salvage they may have a set for cheap.
              '79 XS11SF

Comment

You don't need someone to be shipping a whole set of bars, then installing them to take measurements. Years ago, I was supplying these hose sets for the group. Here are the measurements. These are center-to-center on the banjo's. Banjos are 30 degree angle and angles are 180 degrees opposed from each other.

Specials:
                Hose #1 20-1/2”
                Hose #2 22-3/4”
                Hose #3 22-3/4”
                Hose #4 19”

Standards:
                Hose #1 16”
                Hose #2 22-3/4”
                Hose #3 22-3/4”
                Hose #4 19”

Comment

There is a process the guy wants to follow for these brake lines if he is to do them. First I send him my stock brake lines, which he measures himself etc. Second he makes up a set of lines and ships them to me, which I will install and clock the banjoes for the best fit. Then I will ship them back to him for final crimping. He then sends them back to me for installation. After my final install is shown to have worked he will then be able to make lines available for others to purchase. As this is the way he wants to proceed I will be doing it the way he requests. This should make sure we have access to the best fitting lines possible. I appreciate your help with the measurements Davinci, but I will still need a set of bars to do everything he has requested.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

What is wrong with buying the hose and banjos separately and bolting them up?

I bought some custom brake lines from Bremzen and they are total crap (i.e. don't fit). They are also not willing to make things right.

This other way, I can do it myself.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

No, Marty...that would be too easy

Comment

The "perfect" settings for bars set just so on one bike would not be "perfect" on another where the rider has the bars set a little different. That's why any set of lines with banjos that are not able to be rotated are at best a compromise, as they are only perfect for ONE position of the bars. Sorry, but this guy sounds way too anal retentive. Duplicating the stock lines, at least for the front should be MORE than good enough for those who want 3 line sets. And two lines sets can be possibly figured from those lines as well, but I thing having two lines running up to the MC would be ugly and redneck looking anyways.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                          ...And two lines sets can be possibly figured from those lines as well, but I thing having two lines running up to the MC would be ugly and redneck looking anyways.
                          Not to mention somewhat defeating the purpose of having the braided lines; the reason to make the switch is for less 'swelling' of the lines when applying the brake. Even the braided ones swell some, and adding another 16-20" of line means more swelling...
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'll chime in here if you don't mind. If he's gonna make all the lines the same size, won't it defeat the purpose if some on here have different, non-spec handlebars? I have low bars on mine, and the brake line is to long.
                            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Nowhere do I say "perfect". I say best fit possible and the like. The guy is being smart as far as I am concerned. He is using my lines as the first XS lines to be built by him. I would rather he be anal retentive and do his first set to fit what they are supposed to fit. Then when they are available, there are not people writing into forums and saying as Marty has stated, Total crap and do not fit!
                              After this first set is built he will then know they fit a stock bike and can supply them to XS11 owners knowing he is putting out a quality product. He also offers custom made lines etc for those who need shorter or longer lines. It would be impossible to make a "Kit" that would work for every set of bars imaginable. Guys with bars like Cuda has would of course have to be custom made.
                              As with any of the lines currently available there will be people who prefer one type over another. The lines Marty shows are there for those who want them. Speigler, Galfer, and any other suppliers went to someone like myself to make their first pattern as well. Some members have had issues with the SS lines Ebay seller Coastguard had for sale while others did not.
                              All I really am trying to accomplish is to make another set of SS brake lines available to not only forum members but anyone (possibly worldwide) who wants SS brake lines for XS11's. The more selection there is helps keep prices lower as well.
                              I am not going to be selling them myself so I have nothing to gain by doing this. I am just a member trying to do a little something for us and others. All I wanted in the original post was for someone who may have a set of bars to sell or loan them to me so I could accomplish this. I only stated why, so anyone who wished to be helpful would know what I was up to.
                              If, when it is all said and done, buyers are unhappy with the lines the market will speak for itself. If you think about it, what if TKAT said "oh fork braces have been done so no sense in doing that". Or TC said, "well fuseblocks are readily available to anyone who wants to look for them". Those guys put some effort into finding or making a product we all benefit from. I am only hoping that the lines made from my efforts will be similar. They may not, but I am trying.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X