New tires are are on their way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tires are are on their way

Ordered my Shinko 230 Tourmaster's today. Bike shop said they should be here tomorrow or Friday. I'll get the wheels off "Old Man" Friday night or Saturday morning and get them down there Saturday for mount and balanced. Looking forward to testing out the new skins.

I hate this time of year here in the pacific northwest.... its starting to get warmer outside, the grass is starting to grow again. But it rains most all week long. Starting to get cabin fever. Got and itch that can only be scratched by 2 wheels and twisty's!
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

I know the feeling,just put new skins on my bike,got to drive it from the shop ,home(nice day,high 40's) all of 1 mile. Still way to cold here in upstate N.Y. to do any riding, unless you dodge the potholes and ice. Used to be a time I drove my bike(in Germany-military) 12 months, even with snow on cobblestone roads . Not even a chance of that happening now.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

40's I don't mind... I've got cold weather gear. This time of year it rains for a week then nice for a couple. The nice days are false advertising even thou the roads are somewhat dry the moss has taken over the road in the tree lined areas and moss is as bad as ice. Gotta pick a line and hope its not pot hole city in the middle of the corner. Lol!
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

oh yea,moss not good at all, at least WET moss. and 40's is warm day here.Lucky not to have 2 feet of snow here,been a weird winter in upstate N.Y. but not complaining at all.
        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
        1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
          Ordered my Shinko 230 Tourmaster's today.
          I put a set of those on my bike last year. Don't get me wrong, they were good grippy tires but the rear didn't even last 2000 miles before I had to replace it. Still got the front on there but it's gone now too.

I put a Dunlop Elite III on the rear and I've gone near 6000 miles on it and it's still holding up with about 30-40% tread left and it seems to handle real well also.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

hi Greg, I just put Kenda K673 Kruz tires on mine. took a chance with them, got them cheap enough,hopefully I have better luck than that.
            FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Those are a bit hard and don't grip real well. I had a set of those on there when I first got the bike and replaced them with the same. They don't wear too bad but don't seem to grip well.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Don we should get together for some coffee. Say Starbucks by Home Depot sometime.
                1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                A quick death and an easy one.
                A pretty girl and an honest one.
                A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Thats what I was afraid of Greg,reviews said they handle well,but then again,they lean to the cruisers.Oh well just have to drive careful in cornering.
                  FOXS-XS11SG

1980 XS11SG-sold
                  1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                  1982 XJ 650-sold

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    I put a set of those on my bike last year. Don't get me wrong, they were good grippy tires but the rear didn't even last 2000 miles before I had to replace it. Still got the front on there but it's gone now too.

I put a Dunlop Elite III on the rear and I've gone near 6000 miles on it and it's still holding up with about 30-40% tread left and it seems to handle real well also.
                    I've read reviews that some fellas have had them wear out a little faster than they'd like. For $140 for the pair they were hard to pass up. We'll see how they hold up. If they start wearing like sport bike tires then we'll pick a different flavor next time

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                    Don we should get together for some coffee. Say Starbucks by Home Depot sometime.

Absolutely!
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                      I've read reviews that some fellas have had them wear out a little faster than they'd like. For $140 for the pair they were hard to pass up. We'll see how they hold up. If they start wearing like sport bike tires then we'll pick a different flavor next time
                      Harry (Bigfoot) loves them and your right about the price. I think I paid around $120 from Motorcycle Superstore for mine. But then, I paid like $130 for the E3 and it's lasted all last summer and will put a good dent in this one. I like to twist the throttle..................................a lot.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        Harry (Bigfoot) loves them and your right about the price. I think I paid around $120 from Motorcycle Superstore for mine. But then, I paid like $130 for the E3 and it's lasted all last summer and will put a good dent in this one. I like to twist the throttle..................................a lot.
                        Lmao... I got a R1 for my speed needs. The xs is my cruiser. Ya superstore is still 120'ish. But then the tire guy charges me an extra 10 each for mount and balance. So either way it cost the same. Plus this way if I got an issue with one of them I don't have to fight with superstore... I throw it in the owner of the shops lap and say handle it!
                        Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                        X